From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Oscar de la Renta

Post by rtrapasso »

[X(] [X(] [:D] [:D]
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Port Moresby

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Been a while since I posted anything. We have been cranking out turns and a former employee dropped by work and confessed she had been dreaming about me for 9 years. Yada, yada, yada...ice pack. Anyway, where was I? Port Moresby, I think.


**********Swiss Cheese Field, Port Moresby, 08:25, August 16, 1942*********


A line of two dozen Vals begin their roll into a dive. "TAKE COVER!", shouts Sgt. Sisyphus to his crew. As there is no slit trench nearby, the Sgt. takes cover near a large, rusted cylindrical tank. The second Val in the line scores a hit nearby and splinters tear through the tank just above his head. He has a momentary feeling of panic as liquid begins to poor onto the back of his neck. Is he to be incinerated on this jungle Hell? Quickly, however, his years of experience assert themselves. He takes in a breath. "******* A!, it's RUM!"






Image
Attachments
better_ole.jpg
better_ole.jpg (46.3 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Port Moresby

Post by Cap Mandrake »

...

Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (91.69 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Port Moresby

Post by Cap Mandrake »

...

Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (17.07 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Repulse

Post by Cap Mandrake »

This was a painful episode. HMS Repulse, after her gallant defence of Borneo, Java, Timor and Perth, including a big role in the sinking of Fuso and much other Jap shipping off Koepang and her epic survival stroy after taking 4 torpedo hits off Perth, finally succumbs.

After repair at Perth, she participated in bombardent duty but it was time to have her fully repaired. Sydney and Melbourne were full with damaged ships, transit to Pearl was too dangerous and the repair yards at Colombo were nearly idle. Plus, the annoying Admiralty wanted a battleship back so Ramilles had to get back to India from Perth (you have to suspend disbelief here as in the "real world" it would have made more sense to send her around the Cape of Good Hope). Owing to Repulse's prior damaged, Ramilles could make better speed so they would go separately. This almost certainly saved Ramilles. The timing of the run was determined by the big Jap attack on Port Moresby. It was assumed by me that all 5 fleet carriers would be retained in the Coral Sea to thwart any intervention of the three US carriers which might be in the area. For this reason, and because they might be needed to unite with the US carriers off Eastern Oz, the RN carriers were to stay behind in Australia. Subs and PBY's from Broome and Derby would screen the Eastern approaches to the Indian Ocean for perils. It seemed like a good plan at the time.

It is a heavy burden to command imaginary ships [:'(] Bah! Oh well, I'll just put in for a replacement. Everyone said she was a maintanence hog anyway.

Image
Attachments
WITN05.jpg
WITN05.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Repulse

Post by Cap Mandrake »

BTW...does the Jap player know when British ships are recalled? In other words, is it a fixed schedule or does it show up on the Jap game info screen?

Pretend I didn't read the rules [8D]
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Repulse

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Here is a rather amazing list of enemy ships engaged and mortally wounded or crippled to be destroyed later by air attack or sunk outright by Repulse and Prince of Wales. An amazing number actually had the coup de gras adminstered by Repulse herself.

BB Fuso
CL Naka
CL Kitikami
CL Nagara
DD Fuso
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Hayashio
DD Minegumo
DD Natsugumo
DD Samidare
DD Inazuma
MSW Seki Maru
AP Tenryu Maru
AP Aiyo Maru
AP Senaki Maru
AP Meigen Maru
AK Shino Maru
AK Ina Maru
AK Akagame Maru
AK Mutoyi Maru

Her most crucial role was in absorbing a big Jap carrier attack off Perth, sparing the RN carriers for their counterstrike. I suppose I do sound like a Repulse booster, eh?
Image
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Repulse

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

BTW...does the Jap player know when British ships are recalled? In other words, is it a fixed schedule or does it show up on the Jap game info screen?

Pretend I didn't read the rules [8D]

Not in the rules...

Yes, the Japanese player DOES see what the Admiralty requests - sort of... the game lies some times to keep the Japanese guessing. So they can never quite know is going on...*

However, they DO see if you don't send the ships back - the Political Point Penalty is displayed on the Op Reports.


*EDIT - A withdrawal request (either true of false) shows up in the OP report, however, the Allied player will see the TRUE withdrawal requests in his INTEL screen.
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Stalingrad on the WAAAAY Eastern Front

Post by Cap Mandrake »

***********Forward position, 73rd Chinese Corps, 15 miles West of Yenen, 09:20, August 16, 1942**********


Private Yuen occupies the extreme Western edge of the most Westerly regiment of the most Westerly division of the most Westerly corps of the Yenen pocket. He is a sniper, not because he was especially trained or, for that matter, because he was especailly skilled, but simply because he stepped forward when the Captain asked for volunteers. When you are surrounded by 100,000 veteran Japanese soldiers and no soldier in your company has had a real meal for 3 days, one can't be too picky. Pvt. Yuen lies prone in a small hide on a small rise allowing him to survey the road to Kungchang for 400 yds., or at least it would be 400 yds if it weren't for the damnable fog. He can now see the figure silhouetted as he stands in a small vehicle. The figue raises his arms to his face until the silhouette grows wider. "An Officer!", Pvt. Yuen thinks. He snugs the stock of the gun against his cheek and makes an adjustment in his head for range. He moves his finger over the trigger.

"WAIT! STOP! HE IS ONE OF OURS!" It is his spotter who peers through an ancient monocular scope.

Yuen lays aside his rifle and grabs the scope. A gust of drier air brushes aside the fog and his heart stops. "HIS FACE IS GREEN! IT IS ONE OF OURS! IT'S THE RELIEF FORCE! THEY HAVE BROKEN THROUGH!" Imprudently, Yuen stands upright and begins running forward, "WE ARE HERE! CHINESE!".....

Image

Gen Ching
Gen Chung
Gen Chong
Gen Chuong
Gen Chin
Gen Chun
Gen Chuen
Gen Cheech
...............
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (3.18 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Image
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Stalingrad on the WAAAAY Eastern Front

Post by rtrapasso »

"HIS FACE IS GREEN! IT IS ONE OF OURS!


[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] ROFL!!!
User avatar
saj42
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:02 pm
Location: Somerset, England

RE: Stalingrad on the WAAAAY Eastern Front

Post by saj42 »

how do you think these up Cap [&o]
Image
Banner by rogueusmc
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Stalingrad on the WAAAAY Eastern Front

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

how do you think these up Cap [&o]

Peyote buttons, usually. I like to saute them with a little butter, some sea salt and garlic. Important safety tip, however! DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, watch any of the Aliens series after enjoying this recipe.

Sometimes I just steal ideas from readers, too. [:)]
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Burbank

Post by Cap Mandrake »

*********MGM Studios, Office of Mr. Louis B. Mayer, Burbank, Calif., August 22, 1942**********


I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: <reaches solicitously across a gigantic ancient walnut desk to greet Mr. Mayer who does not get up> Thank you for your time sir. It is such an honor to be able to meet with you and present this fantastic filmmaking opportunity on behalf of M&M Productions. I am sure your time must be very valuable....

Mr. Mayer:STOP! It is valuable. You had two minutes worth. You now have 1 1/2 minutes. Get to the God Damned point!

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.:Yes sir! The point is this. <he spreads a protoype ad poster on his desk> It's a war film.

Mr. Mayer:You don't say? Why, how original. How ever did you think of that?

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: Well, sir. It's about China..about a big battle we jsut won.

Mr. Mayer: I'm listening.

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: Sir, it's called "Seven Days to Yenen".

Mr. Mayer: Interesting.

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: We already have letters of intent from the talent.

Mr. Mayer: And they are?

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.:Alec Guiness as the headstrong RAF officer, William Holden as the insouciant USAAF fighter pilot and love interest.

Mr. Mayer: Bill Holden in love with an RAF officer? Honestly, I don't think that is going to "fly". <makes air quotes>

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: Oh...oh, no sir. We were thinking a Chinese girl, possibly pregnant, or not, that's up to you.

Mr. Mayer: I'll have someone do the rewrite. And this guy in thy poster> Who is this?

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: Oh, that is Ben Kingsley. He plays Gen. Chang or Chung. I forget which.

Mr. Mayer: But he looks green. Is that a printing error?

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: Oh no sir, they all look like that. The Chinese generals, I mean.

Mr. Mayer: I'll be damned. Is it a camouflage thing?

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: I don't believe so sir. Dietary perhaps?

Mr. Mayer: Hmmmph. Well, I like it. I'll have legal draw up the standard contract.

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: Well, if you don't mind sir, Mr. Minderbinder had me draw up a contract according to his specifications.

Mr. Mayer: <sits upright in surprise> Quite a confident fellow this Minderbinder/


I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: You have no idea sir.....

Image
Attachments
7779.jpg
7779.jpg (67.14 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Image
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: Burbank

Post by USSAmerica »

Not bad, not bad.&nbsp; [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Burbank

Post by rtrapasso »


LOL!

You've done it again!!!

Thank heavens Peyote is legal in California!!! [8|] [:D]
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Burbank

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Personally, I think Mr. Kingsly deserves a royalty payment. Trying to hide it with a color wash? Shameful really. I think Matrix ought to be ashamed of themselves.



Image
Attachments
SirBenKi..G041934.jpg
SirBenKi..G041934.jpg (4.53 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Image
1275psi
Posts: 7987
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:47 pm

RE: Burbank

Post by 1275psi »

I think someone is avoiding the topic of Port moresby -and certain operations in the central pacific.

I wait with baited breath the Mandrake version.


PS -Im particularily interested -has Tabpub been given a bloody nose again?
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
User avatar
tabpub
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:32 am
Location: The Greater Chicagoland Area

RE: Burbank

Post by tabpub »

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

I think someone is avoiding the topic of Port moresby -and certain operations in the central pacific.

I wait with baited breath the Mandrake version.


PS -Im particularily interested -has Tabpub been given a bloody nose again?

Wrong orifice; something else is bleeding.......
I'll allow the Captain to cover the events in his own good time and manner; I'd bollix up that also....PM was not conceived well, to say the least; that, and a bit of bad fortune post landing. Everything else is progressing as was expected.
I just have a tough time jumping back and forth between '42 and '44; the differences are slightly off-putting sometimes. This TARDIS doesn't work well; I am timesick.
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Burbank

Post by Grotius »

Only slightly off-topic: Cap, what format do you get your Encarta maps in?&nbsp; I can only seem to get them in .GIF, which Photoshop doesn't like.&nbsp;

This continues to be a great AAR.&nbsp; :)
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Burbank

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Only slightly off-topic: Cap, what format do you get your Encarta maps in? I can only seem to get them in .GIF, which Photoshop doesn't like.

This continues to be a great AAR. :)
Thanks Grotius;

Easy. Just save the .gif file as a .bmp file using MSPaint, for eg. It doesn't improve the quality of the image, of course, but neither does it degrade it further.
Image
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”