You will love this game

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises
Post Reply
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

You will love this game

Post by siRkid »

If this game does not save turn based strategy games, nothing will. I highly recommend playing a few short scenarios to get the feel of the game then get a PBEM game going. I am playing Crocky from New Zealand right now and things are getting so tense that I leave my e-mail program on all the time just waiting for the chime to tell me I have another turn.

Right now we both have all our carriers out sparing with each other like boxers in a fighting ring.

Rick:D
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

more info

Post by mogami »

Hello Kid. tell us more. Who is Who? What scenario? etc etc
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Re: more info

Post by siRkid »

Originally posted by Mogami
Hello Kid. tell us more. Who is Who? What scenario? etc etc
I can't give you a good AAR because I have not taken any notes, but here is a brief summary. By the way spies are everywhere so I will leave some things out.

I am US and Crocky is the Japs. We are playing the Decision in teh South Pacific 1 may 42 to 31 Dec 43 scenario.

My main effort early on was New Guinea. I quickly moved the 7th Aus Div to Gili Gili and started expanding the airfield and port. Meanwhile Crocky moved on Lunga. In this effort I lost one carrier and I think I damaged two of Crocky's.
With only one carrier I had to play cat and mouse until the others arrived from Pearl.

Let me warn all of you that Crocky is a master at mine warfare. Every time I turned around another ship was hitting a mine. He ringed Guadalcanal with them. So far I've lost 4 ships to mines and have had many more damaged.

While Crocky was solidifying his position on Lunga, I air lifted troops into Wau and marched them to Marilian and then Nadzab by the time the Japs realized Lae was my main objective I was outside the gates. My best move of the game or at least the one I'm most proud of is when I took some fast APDs and ran a small unit around the end and took Finschhcfen. I now have Lea completely cut off.

I made the mistake of trying the same tactic on Gasmata. My recon flights only showed a HQ unit. Well my unit is now stranded there and will be wiped out in a few turns. All my APD were damaged or sunk in the effort.

Last turn or so Crocky made a beautifully coordinated attack from three carrier groups. All I saw was red lines converging on my ships and men. I was luckly that my one carrier up in that area had been sent back to refuel or it would have been toast.

Crocky has Lunga so well defended it will coast me dearly to take it. Recon shows coastal batteries, AA, Eng and front line troops. And like I said before one hell of a lot of mines.

Last turn I got reports of the Kaga and the Kongo hitting my mines. One can only pray.

See map.
Attachments
brief.jpg
brief.jpg (56.6 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

Right now I am sitting in front of my PC saying come on hurry up Rick wheres my turn....... UV is that addictive the last couple of days I have even snuck home to check and return turns :)
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Thanks

Post by mogami »

Greetings, Thanks Kid I was very impressed with your conduct of opening operations in New Guinea (and then the Gasmata episode confused me, was that a raid or were you trying to occupy the base-thus placing Allied units in one of the few locations guaranteed to allow the Japanese an easy target. Of course I base this on the assumption the Japanese could land march from Rabaul to Gasmata. Also I do not believe Gilli Gilli requires such a large commitment if it subtracts from the force required to secure the Japanese bases to the North west.
Japan does not have enough to both defend Lunga and operate in New Guinea it has to be one or the other. (both have valid considerations I prefer the Lunga/Solomons direction for Japan sole for the reason the logistics in New Guinea favor the allies. In the Solomons the Japanese possess the supporting bases in the operational area. Lunga being the historical battle field attracts a lot of attention from players trying to improve upon the Japanese historical outcome. As the US I don't feel compelled to respond by making it the primary target. Early in the campaign New Guinea can be the active area while building up in the other.

Whatever Japan commits to New Guinea is lost to the Solomons.
If Japan builds Lunga while the US builds their bases to it's south east a stalemate situation develops that in the long term favors the allies. There is no call for hurry over here. If the Japanese allow their airgroups to diminish to no end. The US can choose another base as target. (Shortlands or Once NG secured the leap to Gasmata/Rabaul) and cut off the bases in the Solomons. Lunga achieves much of it's importance because the Allies focus their resources on it.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Snigbert
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Worcester, MA. USA

Post by Snigbert »

At midnight my fiance dragged me into bed complaining about how I'm addicted to UV.

It's now 2:15 am and I'm back in front of the computer. She didn't hear me sneak out of bed so I think I'm safe for a while. :)
"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

LOL

Post by mogami »

Its a tough life:eek: You score points for dedication to duty.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

Re: Re: more info

Post by Raverdave »

Originally posted by Kid




Let me warn all of you that Crocky is a master at mine warfare.
So that now makes TWO that I am going to avoid playing......Mogami and Crocky:D ;) :p
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Mines

Post by mogami »

Hi, expect the waters around any of my bases to be infested with mines except for the routes I intend to traverse with my forces.
The crews of any vessal able to lay mines will have really nasty names to call me since they will only see a port when they need to take on a fresh load. The mine is one of the cheapest methods of damaging the enemy. As such it will be used to it's fullest extent when ever and where ever can I safely use them.

Why would you not want a PBEM against a skillfull (still yet to be detirmined my actual skill) opponent over one that is easy to better?
What is proven by overcoming less then yourself. The brave player will be Japan in the historical campaign. I encourage everyone wanting a PBEM game to assign to me whatever side in whatever scenario they want. We will post AAR's and philosopical debates to establish the most workable approaches to each side in each scenario. Then thus armed fight new battles to study the results.

An AAR that read "Picked Japan May start versus AI, Whooped it's butt" would not be as interesting to me as the same versus human that went "Picked Japan May start versus human, after a long bloody exciting fight was forced to adopt a defense to preserve Rabaul"
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
ratster
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:00 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Post by ratster »

This just made me think of a question;

How big are the turn files for PBEM?
" If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Clan [GOAT]
jrcar
Posts: 2301
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:16 pm
Location: Seymour, Australia

Post by jrcar »

Well I for one will be steping forward to offer Crocky some action, I owe it to him :D !

I really did try to get you into action in that last turn, honest!

Cheers

Rob
AE BETA Breaker
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Re: Thanks

Post by siRkid »

Originally posted by Mogami
1. the Gasmata episode confused me, was that a raid or were you trying to occupy the base-thus placing Allied units in one of the few locations guaranteed to allow the Japanese an easy target.
2 Also I do not believe Gilli Gilli requires such a large commitment if it subtracts from the force required to secure the Japanese bases to the North west.

3. If Japan builds Lunga while the US builds their bases to it's south east a stalemate situation develops that in the long term favors the allies. There is no call for hurry over here. If the Japanese allow their airgroups to diminish to no end. The US can choose another base as target. (Shortlands or Once NG secured the leap to Gasmata/Rabaul) and cut off the bases in the Solomons. Lunga achieves much of it's importance because the Allies focus their resources on it.
1. It was a target of opportunity. Recon showed light forces an I felt I could grab it and stop any construction going on there. Also, it would draw out the Jap navy if Crocky wanted it back. Crocky's ships would be in range of my New Guinea airfields. A third benefit was a diversion for my efforts at taking Lea. As it turned out I did not take the base the Jap's reaction was much stronger than I expected.

2. First, I was used to playing the computer and it almost always makes a grab for Gilli Gilli, Second, I planed from the very start to use it as a staging area for future amphib operations. Marching takes too long and air transport is limited. Crocky realy hampered my efforts by putting a mine field at the entrance early on. Any DMS I sent to clear it were under constant air attack.

3. I agree.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Originally posted by ratster
This just made me think of a question;

How big are the turn files for PBEM?
They are 8 meg but zip down to about 245K.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

He certainly attracted my attention when he landed in Gasmata the situation started to get a bit out of hand in New Guinea.....and it 1am Sunday morning and Im still getting yelled at to come to bed :)

A couple of surface battle results from last turn the first when I tried to resupply my forces in GasmataNight Time Surface Combat, near Gasmata at 17,32

Japanese Ships
CL Jintsu, Shell hits 10, on fire, heavy damage
DD Takanami
DD Nenohi
DD Yugure
DD Uranami
DD Sazanami, Shell hits 10, on fire, heavy damage
APD 2

Allied Ships
CA Vincennes, Shell hits 1
CA Canberra
CL Leander, Shell hits 1
DD Helm
DD Mugford
DD Henley

and the next day when a TF of mine raided Gilli Gilli we are playing 2 day turns

ight Time Surface Combat, near Gili Gili at 17,42

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CA Takao, Shell hits 1
CA Atago
DD Kuroshio
DD Hayashio
DD Maikaze
DD Akebono

Allied Ships
CL Leander, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Gili Gili at 17,42

Japanese Ships
CA Tone, Shell hits 1
CA Takao, Shell hits 1
CA Atago, Shell hits 1
DD Kuroshio, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Hayashio, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Maikaze
DD Akebono

Allied Ships
CA Vincennes, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA Canberra, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Helm
DD Mugford
DD Henley


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Gili Gili at 17,42

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CA Takao
CA Atago
DD Kuroshio, on fire
DD Hayashio, on fire, heavy damage
DD Maikaze
DD Akebono

Allied Ships
AO Brazos, Shell hits 21, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Crocky was too modest to mention that he also sunk the Yorktown.:mad:
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

I was a bit lucky with the Yorktown my carrier TF was about to head back to Rabual so I gave it orders to dtour into the Coral Sea in the hope of causing some havoc amongst his transports heading for Gilli Gilli and stumbled across the yorktown
The USN attacked first causing damage to the Hiryu

Air attack on TF at 29,46

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 30

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 8
SBD Dauntless x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 4 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat x 3 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 7 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 16 damaged

PO2 R.Doikawa of AI-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

LCDR N.Keene of VF-42 bails out and is RESCUED

Japanese Ships
CV Hiryu, Bomb hits 3, on fire
BB Kirishima

but my retalitory strikes

Air attack on TF at 28,53

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
D3A Val x 18
B5N Kate x 24

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 2 destroyed
D3A Val x 3 damaged
B5N Kate x 2 destroyed
B5N Kate x 16 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
DD Morris


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 28,53

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
D3A Val x 18
B5N Kate x 21

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 1 destroyed
D3A Val x 4 damaged
B5N Kate x 2 destroyed
B5N Kate x 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 destroyed

LTJG I.Barnes of VF-42 is credited with kill number 2

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CA Chester

A total of 4 torpedo and 3 bomb hits reduce Yorktown to a disaster area but she still took 2 days to sink ...US carriers are tough
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 7273
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: West Yellowstone, Montana

Post by Nomad »

Thanks for the warning Mogami. I'll keep my minesweepers busy clearing your mine fields.
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

Re: Re: Re: more info

Post by Raverdave »

Originally posted by Raverdave


So that now makes TWO that I am going to avoid playing......Mogami and Crocky:D ;) :p

I AM JOKING !
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

News FLASH Lae Captured!

Post by siRkid »

Lae has fallen! Light losses to ground forces but the cost to the navy was high. See picture for details.
Attachments
lae.jpg
lae.jpg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
HMSWarspite
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:38 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Post by HMSWarspite »

9 ground troops lost? In a division sized combat?
What came over the Japs? I hope the game doesn't do that too often!
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”