From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Operation "Clean Sweep"
Editor's Note:
Except among certain isolated rural populations and graduates of public schools, "tentative" is the correct spelling. Thank you for your cards and letters.
Margin Note: Can't somebody proofread these damn things before they are published? Do I have to do everything around here? Also, remind me to get that new Bolo Bat I promised for that cretin at 1600 Pennsylvania.
Ge. Marshall
PS...If I ever use the expression "little yellow bastards" again, please substitute "Japanese".
PPS...If I say "little yellow bastards" but put it in parentheses, you can leave it in because it will have an ironic or colloquial meaning.
PPPS..If I use the expression in correspondence to that dumb ass primadonna, Patton, you can leave it in.
PPPPS..If I use the expression "that dumb ass primadonna, Patton" please substitute "that great American, Gen. Patton" unless I am corresponding with that dumb ass primadonna, Montgomery, in which case you can leave it in.
Except among certain isolated rural populations and graduates of public schools, "tentative" is the correct spelling. Thank you for your cards and letters.
Margin Note: Can't somebody proofread these damn things before they are published? Do I have to do everything around here? Also, remind me to get that new Bolo Bat I promised for that cretin at 1600 Pennsylvania.
Ge. Marshall
PS...If I ever use the expression "little yellow bastards" again, please substitute "Japanese".
PPS...If I say "little yellow bastards" but put it in parentheses, you can leave it in because it will have an ironic or colloquial meaning.
PPPS..If I use the expression in correspondence to that dumb ass primadonna, Patton, you can leave it in.
PPPPS..If I use the expression "that dumb ass primadonna, Patton" please substitute "that great American, Gen. Patton" unless I am corresponding with that dumb ass primadonna, Montgomery, in which case you can leave it in.

RE: Operation "Clean Sweep"
[:D]
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu
- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: Operation "Clean Sweep"
What's the going rate for proof reading?[:)]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
"Huzzah"
I did some etymological research on the origin of the word "huzzah". It seems the earliest written reference is probably in the Kama Sutra [1] where it was advocated as a command to aid in the achievement of mutual sexual climax. It was apparently derived from the ancient Sanskrit word "huzzu" meaning "hurry up" or "better hurry". The near palindromic character of the word was felt to be symbolic. The word is thought to have spread westward with the Roma people and was in use in the English Isles before the 2nd century BC where it began to acquire a more general meaning of something good about to happen. Upon the arrival of Christianity in England, the original ribald meaning was replaced by the somewhat sacriligious utterance of the names of religious figures during carnal activities. The more general meaning did remain; however, becoming the 18th and 19th century English phrase "Huzzah". Ironically, this meaning was carried back to India during the British colonial period and was the source of much amusement to indiginous servants when the phrase was used by both English men and women at public sporting events.
[1] The Kama Sutra: Chapter 412, "What to do when the kids are at grandma's hosue for the weekend", pp. 1234-1256
[1] The Kama Sutra: Chapter 412, "What to do when the kids are at grandma's hosue for the weekend", pp. 1234-1256

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Idaho plates
BTW, a car pulled up slowly toward me today with Idaho plates. Whew....no gun rack.
Turned out it was a car from Idaho parking. Duh.
Turned out it was a car from Idaho parking. Duh.

- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: Idaho plates
I've heard of Idaho. I've even been there twice. Where the heck is Idaho parking?[:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
RE: Idaho plates
huzzah! huzzah! huzzah!
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu
- bobogoboom
- Posts: 3799
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm
- Location: Dallas
RE: Idaho plates
[:-].bad cap.......it's ok i am currently taking 20 minutes to make sure certain people are not sitting outside at my favorite watering hole.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc
- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: Idaho plates
So, how go things in Australia?[:)]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Idaho plates
ORIGINAL: bobogoboom
[:-].bad cap.......it's ok i am currently taking 20 minutes to make sure certain people are not sitting outside at my favorite watering hole.
Well...somene did ask about "huzzah" [:)]
Not to worry. John-san is back from celebrating the Emperor's B'day. We are off again. Spam content should be dropping. [:'(]

RE: Idaho plates
I think you are the victim of a fanciful etymology for "huzzah". Gypsies in 2nd century BC Britain? Palindromic symbolism? Really dubious stuff.
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Chapter and verse
Editor's Note:
A number of astute readers have questioned the presence of the Roma people in Britain in the second century BC. We are investigating this interesting question. Possibly the author misspoke and meant to say Romans. In that case, however, the date mentioned also seems to predate the arrival of this group.
Of interest is the recent large discovery of ancient paisley tablecloths in West Sussex which date to 20 AD to 240 BC by radiocarbon dating.
Margin Note: Good God Almighty! "Chapter 412, "What to do when the kids are at grandma's house for the weekend"?? Come on people! My credibility is on the line here. I have a PLAN to write. We are talking legacy here. Can't someone find me a nice co-ed from Bryn Mawr for the Summer to proofread this stuff? Look at the interns Bolo Boy has at the White House, for Christ's sake.
Gen. Marshall
PS...Please, please! Stop putting the margin notes in the text!
A number of astute readers have questioned the presence of the Roma people in Britain in the second century BC. We are investigating this interesting question. Possibly the author misspoke and meant to say Romans. In that case, however, the date mentioned also seems to predate the arrival of this group.
Of interest is the recent large discovery of ancient paisley tablecloths in West Sussex which date to 20 AD to 240 BC by radiocarbon dating.
Margin Note: Good God Almighty! "Chapter 412, "What to do when the kids are at grandma's house for the weekend"?? Come on people! My credibility is on the line here. I have a PLAN to write. We are talking legacy here. Can't someone find me a nice co-ed from Bryn Mawr for the Summer to proofread this stuff? Look at the interns Bolo Boy has at the White House, for Christ's sake.
Gen. Marshall
PS...Please, please! Stop putting the margin notes in the text!

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Dear Diary
[:D][:D]
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
The List
I knew I foreswore spamming, but I found this list on the horse trail this morning. I took off the phone numbers and deleted the last name of Amy but otherwise it is a good copy.
A party invitation list..no guys..hmmm?
A page from a little black book?
Possible nannies?
An Adrian Messenger type thing..in which case there are two crossed off [X(]?
And who is the Egyptian Girl?

A party invitation list..no guys..hmmm?
A page from a little black book?
Possible nannies?
An Adrian Messenger type thing..in which case there are two crossed off [X(]?
And who is the Egyptian Girl?

- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (18.16 KiB) Viewed 302 times

- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: The List
Call in the OSS..[:)]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
RE: The List
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
I knew I foreswore spamming, but I found this list on the horse trail this morning. I took off the phone numbers and deleted the last name of Amy but otherwise it is a good copy.
A party invitation list..no guys..hmmm?
A page from a little black book?
Possible nannies?
An Adrian Messenger type thing..in which case there are two crossed off [X(]?
And who is the Egyptian Girl?
![]()
Some poor pregnant mare dropped her list of potential names for her colt...boohoo.
Eygptian Girl would be a shiznat name for a racehorse, by the way.
Now, back to the war and quit spamming our own thread; the others do QUITE well at it without your assistance.
Will be calling tonight for our bi-weekly planning and chortling session; don't forget....
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: The List
ORIGINAL: tabpub
Some poor pregnant mare dropped her list of potential names for her colt...boohoo.
Eygptian Girl would be a shiznat name for a racehorse, by the way.
Hello. I think you may be onto something. Horse trail..lots of things get dropped there......
At the top of the stretch it's My Rosita by a length but HERE COMES EGYPTIAN GIRL!....

RE: The List
Egyptian Girl was a Brazilian bred foal of 1986 by Rio Bravo out of Devils Magic. She has a 5x5 cross to Nearco, who as you know, was the tail-male grandsire of Naskra.





