Re-crewing Vehicles

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re-crewing Vehicles

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Just a quick note. Someone had mentioned earlier in this forum that they thought an abandoned vehicle could be re-crewed by any available crew.

I thought - jeez that'd be a handy feature (and totally unrealistic).

But if they'd only recrew the same type of vehicle as they abandoned, that'd be good enough.

So I bought two platoons of tigers and lined them up about 100m from each other. I bailed the crews and watched.

The crews (ALL 8) jumped back in their tanks on the next turn. Hot diggity.

So then I bailed the crews and swapped platoons. B50 went to crew C0, C50 went to crew B0, etc.

After three turns, a couple of cigarettes and a shot of schnapps, nobodies in a tank!

So I moved them back to their orginal vehicles. Next turn they're saddeled up and ready to go.

So I guess Tiger crews will only re-crew their original vehicle. :rolleyes:

Tip: If your vehicles are far in the rear area and subject to air attacks (ONLY), you can bail out of your vehicle ('9' key) and wait for the planes to leave. Aircraft won't fire directly at an abandoned vehicle. Once the air threat has gone, your crews will jump back in the tanks and be off. :cool:
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

Capt,

I'm fairly sure they will recrew any vehicle in their platoon, not just their original vehicle. For instance, if the crew was D2, they would recrew D3's tank. I'm not 100% positive... Sounds like another project;) . Engineers are soooo easy!:D

Goblin
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Okay Goblin - now your just looking for stuff. :rolleyes:

(BTW they dont' recrew any but their own orginal vehicle - I checked ::sigh::)
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

I knew you would check.;) I don't have to look for more stuff, just wait for one of your projects to give me an idea. :D I thought I had seen a crew recrew another platoon tank, but their tank was destroyed, and the original crew had bailed due to damage, and then was machinegunned. Maybe not. Thanks for checking though.


Goblin
WhiteRook
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:03 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Re-crewing Vehicles

Post by WhiteRook »

Originally posted by Capt. Pixel

Tip: If your vehicles are far in the rear area and subject to air attacks (ONLY), you can bail out of your vehicle ('9' key) and wait for the planes to leave. Aircraft won't fire directly at an abandoned vehicle. Once the air threat has gone, your crews will jump back in the tanks and be off. :cool: [/B]
Man how do you constantly think of all this stuff? The only time I can think that I was ever this into stuff like this is when I am Map editing! Capt. I salute you sir! This one is so da** good I am even going to have to try and remember it!! :D
User avatar
Bernie
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:18 am
Location: Depot HQ - Virginia
Contact:

Re: Re-crewing Vehicles

Post by Bernie »

Originally posted by Capt. Pixel


Tip: If your vehicles are far in the rear area and subject to air attacks (ONLY), you can bail out of your vehicle ('9' key) and wait for the planes to leave. Aircraft won't fire directly at an abandoned vehicle. Once the air threat has gone, your crews will jump back in the tanks and be off. :cool:
Okay, but how do we get them to flip the pilot the bird? ;)
What, me worry?
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Not original

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Thank you Whiterook.

I'd like to take credit for that tactic, but I read it here in this forum several months back. Never used it in battle myself. We don't do much with air anyway due to the flaky recon caused when planes fly over the battlefield. :(
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
Lars
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Recon planes

Post by Lars »

Originally posted by Capt. Pixel
Thank you Whiterook.

I'd like to take credit for that tactic, but I read it here in this forum several months back. Never used it in battle myself. We don't do much with air anyway due to the flaky recon caused when planes fly over the battlefield. :(
Just make sure your planes arrive with a .1 or .2 delay and it wont be any problems with the eye in the sky... ;)
/Lars
User avatar
tracer
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:00 am
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL USA
Contact:

Re: Recon planes

Post by tracer »

Originally posted by Lars


Just make sure your planes arrive with a .1 or .2 delay and it wont be any problems with the eye in the sky... ;)
/Lars
Not if its against a human opponent in a PBEM game (IMHO): a .1 or .2 will have the plane flying its mission during your turn...then your opponent can keep hitting the VCR playback button until he gets a fix on all your on-screen units (he can also zoom the map out, in effect seeing your entire deployment). A 0.3-0.5 mission is the way to go: odds are he'll be looking at what the plane is attacking, and at worst catch only a quick glimpse.
Jim NSB ImageImage
User avatar
Lars
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Re: Re: Recon planes

Post by Lars »

Originally posted by tracer


Not if its against a human opponent in a PBEM game (IMHO): a .1 or .2 will have the plane flying its mission during your turn...then your opponent can keep hitting the VCR playback button until he gets a fix on all your on-screen units (he can also zoom the map out, in effect seeing your entire deployment). A 0.3-0.5 mission is the way to go: odds are he'll be looking at what the plane is attacking, and at worst catch only a quick glimpse.
Well I might be wrong, but as far as I know the problem is when the planes fly in the other players' turn (which it will do if it comes with .3-.5 delay).
With a .1 or .2 delay it will be your planes in the end of your turn.
That's the answer I got from Paul anyway, when I asked about it.

Regards
/Lars
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Funky Spotting Checks

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Well all spotting anomalies aside (like seeing the entire opposing sides mine field :rolleyes: )

I prefer to delay my strikes to 0.3 to 0.5. Mostly so I can see what his disposition is at the end of his last turn. This 'instant info recon' is just to handy to ignore.

It still beats dice, charts, kinked string and concealment counters all to boot. :D
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”