From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
bobogoboom
Posts: 3799
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: The "L" bomb...sort of

Post by bobogoboom »

[:-]this better be one smoking hot stalker
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Image
Sig art by rogueusmc
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: The "L" bomb...sort of

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo
ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Was the airline ticket to Idaho refundable?[:)]

Thats not doing enough. Can you exchange the ticket for one to Africa? You can stay with T until this blows over.


Look..if you think using expressions like "blows over" is going to make it easier to make wise choices then you are seriously mistaken[;)]

**********NOTES FROM 2ND PITCARIN STRATEGIC CONFERENCE, OCT. 5, 1942*********


1) US 32nd ID to likely remain in Australia after Perth cleanup complete to participate in possible operation agaisnt Aru Island

2) 3rd FS (USAAF) to transfer to Sydney for re-equip and training on new P-38. P-36 equipped group on Palmyra to ship out to Sydney also for P-38 conversion.

3) 3rd BG (USAAF) (B-24) to ferry-hop to Dacca from Seattle-Alaska-Siberia. All crewchiefs adivised to leave hubcaps in Seattle so Russians don't steal them.

4) Agreement reached for phased upgrade USN subs to new radar kits.

5) Shorter range US boats to operate from Darwin and Townsville.

6) Air resources at Cooktown to be augmented for support of future air offensive, New Guinea

7) Someone is going to talk to RCAF to try to get them in the war in the Pacific

8) Succession planning begun for Grp Cpt Mandrake should his Idaho spetznatz mission end tragically.

9) Admiral Tabpub agrees to forgo further bathysphere expeditions
Image
User avatar
Onime No Kyo
Posts: 16846
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:55 am

RE: The "L" bomb...sort of

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
Look..if you think using expressions like "blows over" is going to make it easier to make wise choices then you are seriously mistaken[;)]

I hadnt thought of this. I stand corrected. [:D]
3) 3rd BG (USAAF) (B-24) to ferry-hop to Dacca from Seattle-Alaska-Siberia. All crewchiefs adivised to leave hubcaps in Seattle so Russians don't steal them.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.....how low class. And here I thought all your bombers had spinner rims. I guess M&M isnt as adept at marketing as we all thought. [:'(]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
User avatar
Moondawggie
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:11 am
Location: Placer County CA

RE: Boise...

Post by Moondawggie »

Yo, Mandrake, ignore those ignorant posters who question the perfection of Boise Womanhood:  they are callow plebians who have never experienced transcendental bliss... 
 
I wish you luck, my friend.  And by all means, remember that going for a "swim" at Lucky Peak Reservoir can also result in getting a "lucky peek" at some gorgeous curves! 
 
Leave Tabpub to whalloping the honored enemy for a few days, doc!  You deserve a break... 
"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg
User avatar
bobogoboom
Posts: 3799
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: Boise...

Post by bobogoboom »

Me thinks he thinks with brain number 2.[&:]
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Image
Sig art by rogueusmc
User avatar
Onime No Kyo
Posts: 16846
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:55 am

RE: Boise...

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Yo, Mandrake, ignore those ignorant posters who question the perfection of Boise Womanhood:  they are callow plebians who have never experienced transcendental bliss... 

I wish you luck, my friend.  And by all means, remember that going for a "swim" at Lucky Peak Reservoir can also result in getting a "lucky peek" at some gorgeous curves! 

Leave Tabpub to whalloping the honored enemy for a few days, doc!  You deserve a break... 

It is not the perfection of Boise womanhood I question, sir, it is the safety of partaking in it. [:'(]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Boise...

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

Me thinks he thinks with brain number 2.[&:]

The Stegasaurus (or was it he Allosaurus) is alleged to have had an accessory brain at its caudal end, as well. It took an asteroid half the size of the Gulf of Mexico to get rid of him. One must not discount irrational sources of wisdom.1 [:)]

Here is the itinerary. Upon arrival, I am to be picked up in a BMW convertible (even though it is 30 F in Boise [&:]). I will be wearing a fake nose and moustache when I exit the plane. I will then be wisked away to a secret location, where, presumably, the two bags of goodies from the Pleasure Boutique will be put to good use. The next day, after recovery is achieved, I will attend the soiree, the entrance to said event will be controlled by "two big guys". I am not quite clear what will happen after that. I hope the planning for the Viking funeral goes well.




1. ^ Pirsig, Robert M. "Introduction to the Twenty-fifth Anniversary Edition." Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values. New York: Perennial Classic


*"Soiree" has two "e"'s

Also, I meant "caudal" not "rostral", oops
Image
User avatar
bobogoboom
Posts: 3799
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: Boise...

Post by bobogoboom »

We will build a pyre for you.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Image
Sig art by rogueusmc
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Boise...

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

We will build a pyre for you.

Thanks man. That is very Nordic of you.


P.S....I think it was the Apatosaurus
Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Boise...

Post by witpqs »

I think you were right the first time, it was stegosaurus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaurus
"Second brain"

Soon after describing Stegosaurus, Marsh noted a large canal in the hip region of the spinal cord, which could have accommodated a structure up to 20 times larger than the brain. This has led to the famous idea that dinosaurs like Stegosaurus had a 'second brain' in the tail, which may have been responsible for controlling reflexes in the rear portion of the body. It has also been suggested that this "brain" might have given a Stegosaurus a temporary boost when it was under threat from predators.[5] More recently, it has been argued that this space (also found in sauropods) may have been the location of a glycogen body, a structure in living birds whose function is not definitely known but which is postulated to facilitate the supply of glycogen to the animal's nervous system.[21]
User avatar
Onime No Kyo
Posts: 16846
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:55 am

RE: Boise...

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

We will build a pyre for you.

Ummm....Quapla! [:)]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Glycogen body

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I think you were right the first time, it was stegosaurus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaurus
"Second brain"

Soon after describing Stegosaurus, Marsh noted a large canal in the hip region of the spinal cord, which could have accommodated a structure up to 20 times larger than the brain. This has led to the famous idea that dinosaurs like Stegosaurus had a 'second brain' in the tail, which may have been responsible for controlling reflexes in the rear portion of the body. It has also been suggested that this "brain" might have given a Stegosaurus a temporary boost when it was under threat from predators.[5] More recently, it has been argued that this space (also found in sauropods) may have been the location of a glycogen body, a structure in living birds whose function is not definitely known but which is postulated to facilitate the supply of glycogen to the animal's nervous system.[21]


Ahhhh...so that's what made me buy those tickets...the glycogen body. I've always had an odd desire to sit in bird baths and I ate a worm once when I was a kid too. The thing must be huge.

Check this out...a strategic plan with a one month horizon I..err..I mean Pownall hatched in Burma actually worked. Let's hear it for the glycogen body! Huzzah!
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Huge Glycogen body at work

Post by Cap Mandrake »

*********************October 3rd, 1942.**********************


Cmmdr Jacobs of USS Sargo was right. Cyclone Narinder seems to be losing steam. The weather is still pretty lousy but Imphal is clear and a few B-17's manage to get airborne from Dacca The Japs pick on the poor RAF Mohawks but pay a price against the hot-shot USAAF P-40 pilots operating from Imphal. I bet they don't try that again. Because of the proximity of friendly ground forces, the majority of the Allied pilots shot down are recoverd after "hitting the silk".

Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (149.95 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Image
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Boise...

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I think you were right the first time, it was stegosaurus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaurus
"Second brain"

Soon after describing Stegosaurus, Marsh noted a large canal in the hip region of the spinal cord, which could have accommodated a structure up to 20 times larger than the brain. This has led to the famous idea that dinosaurs like Stegosaurus had a 'second brain' in the tail, which may have been responsible for controlling reflexes in the rear portion of the body. It has also been suggested that this "brain" might have given a Stegosaurus a temporary boost when it was under threat from predators.[5] More recently, it has been argued that this space (also found in sauropods) may have been the location of a glycogen body, a structure in living birds whose function is not definitely known but which is postulated to facilitate the supply of glycogen to the animal's nervous system.[21]


Actually, both are correct - many large sauropods including Apatosaurus, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, etc. apparently had these structures... calling them a brain is a bit generous, they are thought to perhaps be just large neural plexi (plexuses), sort of like a solar plexus, that might control the legs... the glycogen body is another theory.
User avatar
Onime No Kyo
Posts: 16846
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:55 am

RE: Boise...

Post by Onime No Kyo »

And what does this say about our friend Mandrake, Bob? [:D]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: Boise...

Post by BrucePowers »

Educate a poor ignorant physicist/engineer. What is a glycogen body?[&:]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
User avatar
Yakface
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:43 am

RE: Boise...

Post by Yakface »

Basically lots of sugar molecules stuck together in a chain.  Glycogen is somewhere between sugar and fat as far as speed of energy release goes.   We store a lot in the liver and it gives the energy needed by the body for any activity beyond a short sprint.  I assume a glycogen body is just an organ designed to store the stuff.
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Boise...

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Basically lots of sugar molecules stuck together in a chain. Glycogen is somewhere between sugar and fat as far as speed of energy release goes. We store a lot in the liver and it gives the energy needed by the body for any activity beyond a short sprint. I assume a glycogen body is just an organ designed to store the stuff.

What he said. A glucose polymer. I am pretty sure human beings don't have a "glycogen body" unless it is vestigial. The stuff is in skeletal muscle and the liver. The current thinking holds that your average blob of glucose polymers, no matter how they might be configured, are not capable of sentience. Despite this new insight, the Japs are still delivered a bloody nose in Burma and something still made me buy those tickets.
Image
User avatar
bobogoboom
Posts: 3799
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: Boise...

Post by bobogoboom »

You should send boisie to burma she sounds like she is good at collecting intelegence[:D]. plus yall could have fun in the mud[8D].............



.......... line here |   bobo here.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Image
Sig art by rogueusmc
User avatar
VSWG
Posts: 3217
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Boise...

Post by VSWG »

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

You should send boisie to burma she sounds like she is good at collecting intelegence[:D].
You misspelled 'essence'...
Image
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”