I think old rtrapasso hit it...When you have an 80 foot-long body, the signal produced by noxious stimuli disturbing the hind legs takes a long time to travel up the low-speed unmyelinated spinothalamic tract to reach the brain. A ganglion in the caudal spinal cord can substantially decrease the time interval for a flexor reflex arc to be activated, thereby allowing said sauropod to extract said hindlegs from the closing jaws of an ambushing raptor before the brain even recognizes that bad juju is going down caudally.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see if Chennault's sweep strategy is a well thought-out fronto-cortical response to noxious Japanese air activity over the IJA 70th Division, or a poorly considered spinal reflex response instead.
The world wonders...
"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."
General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg
Gees, there are WAY too many doctors here for sure [:D].
So far I count a psychiatrist, a paediatrician and a radiologist. I'm presuming Moondawggie is one as well though, what's your specialty? Anyone know of any others?
I'm sure people wouldn't be surprised at the number of sharks... umm, I mean lawyers... who play but I didn't expect so many docs. I don't know a single one in Ireland, other than myself, who wargames [:(]
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
hehe, I know, I once actually UV'ed someone who literally did put rockets into space for NASA. LOL!!! You know you're in an intellectual pursuit when your opponents literally CAN be brain surgeons and rocket scientists [8D]
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
I'm a lawyer turned magazine publisher and editor, but I confess I have difficulty figuring out what's going on in Cap's entertaining AAR. I admitted my confusion yesterday in a post in a thread by Cap's opponent, John 3rd:
"John, are you going to pick up with your AAR in the CapMandrake game? Those of us who 'subscribed' hope so. After all, it's impossible to figure out what's going on from Mandrake's AAR - it's full of talk about randy women in Idaho who study dinosaur ganglions to figure out whether apatosaurs enjoyed amaretto sours."
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Hehe, I just started reading this AAR yesterday but I have to admit I love it. "I don't want to be a Bohr" LOL!!!!
And any AAR which can bring DINOSAUR neurology into the fray just has to be classic. Now, to be air I don't think that the real issue was how quickly the dinosaur's reflex arc could be activated. As a psychiatrist I'm bound to argue that what was FAR more important was HOW that dinosaur would feel about almost being eaten 6 weeks later. Did it have flashbacks? Did it almost re-experience the attack? Did it have nightmares and did it have an increased startle response --- possibly mediated by this same caudal plexus ( I personally never bought the glycogen body explanation )? Why aren't we focussing on the IMPORTANT questions here people???? [X(] And really I think the most important question is precisely what sort of topiary the nurse DID go for if it wasn't some famous WW2 battleship. Honestly let's prioritise!!!
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
I'm a lawyer turned magazine publisher and editor, but I confess I have difficulty figuring out what's going on in Cap's entertaining AAR. I admitted my confusion yesterday in a post in a thread by Cap's opponent, John 3rd:
"John, are you going to pick up with your AAR in the CapMandrake game? Those of us who 'subscribed' hope so. After all, it's impossible to figure out what's going on from Mandrake's AAR - it's full of talk about randy women in Idaho who study dinosaur ganglions to figure out whether apatosaurs enjoyed amaretto sours."
That research is old news. Yes, dinosaurs did enjoy amaretto sours. [8|]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
***************SEAC HQ, Ledo, October 5, 1942**************
Gen Pownall: Can you tell me, Col., what progress have 7th Armoured made toward the rail junction?
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: They report very diffciult going, especially for the Stuarts and lorries, sir. They estimate 25 miles to the rail junction.
Gen Pownall: 25, you say? Why, weren't they only 27 miles 2 days ago?
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Yes sir. They are encountering many natural obstacles.
Gen Pownall: Blast!.... Still, I am pleased with their effort. The enemy have made no attack at Myitkyina and we have certainly succeeded in pinning the Jap reinforcements at the rail junction...a full division and an armoured brigade. How go the air drops? Are we meeting their needs?
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Yes, sir, in general I think we are but there was an emergency request from the chief medical officer of 7th Armoured just his morn. It seems they are desperately short of plaster of Paris.
Gen Pownall: Plaster of Paris? Oh dear God! It must be Hell.
May God protect them.
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Yes sir, may He.
Gen Pownall: May he what, Col.?
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Oh, no sir. It wasn't a question sir. I simply meant "may He", sir.
Gen Pownall: Look, Col., I am busy man. Let's not talk in code, shall we? Are you asking my permission that he may do something?
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Oh, no sir. I shouldn't think it necessary, sir. I was simply agreeing with your sentiment, sir.
Gen Pownall: And what sentiment was that, Col.?
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Well, sir. <beads of sweat break out on his stiff upper lip> That He may..or..might, perhaps.
Gen Pownall: Who is "he", Col.? <now clearly irritated>
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Why, God, sir.
Gen Pownall: Look, Col., I shan't have my officer's invoking God's name falsely. Is that clear? I shan't warn you again....Now, I want you compose yourself and answer this simple question. Who is the "he" of which you speak?
Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: <now consumed with pallor, wet stains under his arms, a schoolboy trauma which had been supressed for 20 years is recalled> Gu---Gu--Gu--GuGu--Gu-Gu--Gu.........
Gees, there are WAY too many doctors here for sure [:D].
So far I count a psychiatrist, a paediatrician and a radiologist. I'm presuming Moondawggie is one as well though, what's your specialty? Anyone know of any others?