ORIGINAL: John 3rd
You are ruining all my fun thinking and hypotheticals! [:D]
Your are clouding my world with FACTS and that makes my head hurt all the more...
To tell the truth, I hadn't thought about old Saratoga since she seemed to be a torpedo magnet for the first 18 months of the war. Wonder how the crew felt missing all those actions? I know that the Sara's pilots did quite well when they were bumped over to Guadalcanal.
New Thought:
With the groundbreaking work done in Shattered Sword, do you think there will be re-written naval histories coming out taking the Japanese aerial doctrine and CV practices into account and seeing the battles from a slightly different perspective? I thought that was Shattered Swords most interesting area of contribution. Have to admit that the detailed description of the attempts to save the CVs was excellent as well.
While I didn't agree with everything in it, and found it to be a bit pedantic in trying to force all data into it's conclusions; I thought SHATTERED SWORD was an excellent addition to the literature on the subject.
Got people considering a subject long regarded as closed.
Don't want to discourage your enthusiasm for what if's..., but you need to broaden your basis of consideration. The game already provides a really big one, in that the IJA and IJN AREN'T almost literally "at war" with each other. They cooperate with no fuss or agendas. I'd love to see a mod that corrected this. One with two Japanese players competing against one another against the AI. That would be interesting.


[/center]


