How to get PBEM-games work

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Kaakao
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:55 am
Location: Finland

How to get PBEM-games work

Post by Kaakao »

Hi!
I'm having problem with a pbem-games. Spwaw says "Saved game failed to load" when I try to open the savegame. This allways happens when it's my turn to do something. I've created pbem-games and my opponent can buy his units and deploy them but when the files come back to me, it won't load them. I know the preferences must be the same to get the game working, but does it apply to every setting, like sounds ?
Gary Tatro
Posts: 1200
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:00 am
Location: MA, US

This can happen quite often.

Post by Gary Tatro »

What is really happening is that when your opponent is saving the game he quickly exits the game afterward to send you the PBEM file. Unfortuntely SPWAW has not completed saving the game before your opponent exits and so the game file is corrupted. Send him an e-mail suggesting that he wait 30-60 seconds after hitting the save button before he exits the game and then have him send you the file.
If this does not work you might have problems with compatability(you have version 6 he has version 7.1) But I think that it is the problem above.

Hope this helps.
"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"
Kaakao
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:55 am
Location: Finland

Post by Kaakao »

Thanks for the tip! I'll mail him about this. Both of us have 7.1 final so the problem isn't there, we have played lots of online games against each other.
Kaakao
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:55 am
Location: Finland

Post by Kaakao »

****, that wasn't the solution to the problem. I still get that "Saved game failed to load"-message when I try to load the file. My friend can play other pbem-games without any probelms so it seems that the problem is on my computer (or in me :) ).
Gary Tatro
Posts: 1200
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:00 am
Location: MA, US

To ask the obvious

Post by Gary Tatro »

Is your friend sending you all sections of the saved file! Are you cutting and pasting to the right directory.
I think that both you and him have to be saving the games in the same PBEM file #. What I mean is that you both have to save the game in the same section #. (ie e-mail save # 4) Another thing to try is if your already in a game and are having problems have him replay his turn and save again this works quite often.
I am kinda shotting in the dark here. But finally if all else fails go to the how to play by e-mail in the game manual pages 118 to 124.

Hope this helps.
"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"
gnoccop
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Cento, Italy

Post by gnoccop »

be sure the time of 3 of 4 files you send (or recive) is the same (I'm at work and can't remember the extensions of the 4 files needed in a secure PBEM battle).
Sometimes, if your energy-saving driver put in stand-by your HD, the time of the file is different, and SPWAW can't load the battle.

Hope this helps.
"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”