In Memory of John Erickson

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
RussianSteelDar
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:36 am

In Memory of John Erickson

Post by RussianSteelDar »

I just learned that John Erickson, author of The Road to Stalingrad and The Road to Berlin, died in hospital in Edinburgh a few weeks ago. The article contained a tribute by Col. David Glantz.

For anyone interested in the detailed history of the most devastating war ever, Erickson's work is a necessity and represents a huge contribution to understanding and recording the vast conflict in which uncounted 10's of millions died.

It is with much sadness that I note his passing.

BD
Supervisor
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am

Scared the life out of me

Post by Supervisor »

Talk about scary, that's my fathers name! It caught me completely off guard.
User avatar
KG Erwin
Posts: 8366
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cross Lanes WV USA

An Eastern Front scholar to be missed

Post by KG Erwin »

John Erickson broke a lot of new ground in his use of Russian sources in his campaign studies. I bought "The Road to Stalingrad" soon after it was published in 1975, and , for a wargamer, it gave me much insight into the status of the Red Army in the early days of Barbarossa. I'm sure that Eastern front specialists such as David Glantz and Bryan Fugate were inspired by Professor Erickson's work, and all of us who wished to gain a deeper understanding of that war, owe him a debt of gratitude.
Image
Manx
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Staffordshire, England
Contact:

Post by Manx »

Sad to hear this news.

Prof. Erickson is seen a lot on the History/Discovery channels here in the UK (and i guess, worldwide). He always came across as being EXTREMELY knowledgeable and provided great insight into WW2 subject matter, especially when it came to the Ost Front.
Mark Ezra
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Jasmin Ranch, Acton CA

Post by Mark Ezra »

Sad to hear. I am just now reading his "Road To Stalingrad" both historically detailed and well written...not an easy thing to do.
All Hail Marx and Lennon
User avatar
tracer
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:00 am
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL USA
Contact:

Post by tracer »

I've been meaning to read the two books in this series, and ordered both tonight. While I was checking out I noticed this: The Eastern Front in Photographs (appears to authored by John and his wife).
Jim NSB ImageImage
User avatar
Grenadier
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 10, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA USA

Post by Grenadier »

I used a lot of Erickson's material along with David Glantz to write the Soviet history side of Lost Victories. Much of his descriptions of Uman and Dubno come from his work. He was a true gentleman, offering to let me use his worlk as a primary source
Brent Grenadier Richards




__________________
Image

[url=http://
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”