Armor Penetrations for AT rifle & 20mm??

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Armor Penetrations for AT rifle & 20mm??

Post by rbrunsman »

I may be missing it somewhere obvious, but I don't see the armor penetration factors for my AT-rifles or 20mm HE rounds. Right-clicking on my Sk-251 and Pz-IIs shows a penetration chart for 20mm AP and APCR, but nothing about HE. In MC-LV, I have tons of HE and very little, if any AP, rounds.

I figure scout cars (BA-10s?) and BT-7s are fair game for AT rifles and 20mm HE cannon fire and I figure it is only harassing fire to shoot at T-34s and KV-1s. Between there, though, I have no idea what the chance of a kill is.

I would sure like to know when I need to send a prayer along with my shots. Thanks for the answer in advance.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

I believe the AT rifle penetration listed is always so. Its ammo is just listed like other small arms weapons, as HE. It should still penetrate at its listed rate. The same may be true for the 20mm. I'm not 100% on the 20mm though.

Goblin- A Goblin prefers 75mm.;) :)
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rbrunsman »

But where is the penetration listed? I looked again last night and I still don't see the penetrations for AT-rifle and 20mm HE. Like I said before, I may be missing something obvious. Help!!
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

Right on the purchase or encyclopedia screen under 'max penetration'. I believe this is just a simple overlook. The ammo happens to be listed under HE (like small arms are), but penetrates as an AP round. It may be in the unit info screen too, probably listed under AP penetration. I think the problem comes from the loadout screen treating these small bore weapons as small arms, but the unit info screen treating them as cannon.

Goblin- A Goblin is happy to assist
panda124c
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Post by panda124c »

Originally posted by Goblin
I believe the AT rifle penetration listed is always so. Its ammo is just listed like other small arms weapons, as HE. It should still penetrate at its listed rate. The same may be true for the 20mm. I'm not 100% on the 20mm though.

Goblin- A Goblin prefers 75mm.;) :)
I have noticed that the first game (in a campain) you first buy an ATR shows it's penetration table. At least it use to I haven't checked lately.
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rbrunsman »

Thanks Goblin, I forgot about the Max Penetration line in the unit info. It would sure be nice to see how the penetration decreases with range though. But some info is better than no info.

And, pbear, I'll check on what you said the next time I start a campaign. I'm having too much fun in MCLV right now to do that though.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

I believe the rounds use the AP penetration number, so the numbers on the unit info screen for AP are probably correct.

Goblin- A Goblin crunches numbers:)
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

For the KwK30 L/55 (20mm), its AP/HE pen is 38(1 hex), 34(10), 29(20), 25(30), and 20(40). For APCR its 63(1), 40(10). Note that the 222 scout car in the German OOB starts with 48 rounds of 'HE' and 6 of APCR. Those 48 'HE' are the ones that use the PEN listed above for AP/HE. In the unit info screen, its just called AP.

Goblin- A Goblin is scholarly:)
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rbrunsman »

Goblin, you're sure that when I see that I only have HE left I should understand it to mean that 20mm cannons fire HE with the same effect as AP? I like that!! :)

It makes sense, I guess, since the load out is usually HE and APCR, with no mention of AP but with AP penetration charts provided. Thanks, you probably just sealed the fate for many of my scout cars. I'll use them more agressively now (with the unfortunate anticipated result).:(
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

Yep. The rnds should read HEAP. They do both, as evidenced by the many tanks and APC's killed by the 20mm, not to mention the infantry. The game will treat the rounds properly based on the target.. You'll see. Enjoy.:)

Goblin- A Goblin sees the future
Gavris Narcis
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Gavris Narcis »

Originally posted by Goblin
Yep. The rnds should read HEAP.

If so, the logic deduction is that in reality was a single type of HE and AP for this. You called HEAP. I don't think so was in reality: one is HE and one is AP (ofcourse we can read: one effect have HE and other the AP !). And if it is not so (one single type of ammo), than how can I know in game how many rounds I still left for HE and AP from a total of HEAP ?


Leo.


They do both, as evidenced by the many tanks and APC's killed by the 20mm, not to mention the infantry. The game will treat the rounds properly based on the target.. You'll see. Enjoy.:)

Goblin- A Goblin sees the future
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

Since, in the game, the rounds do both, the ammo readout on the unit info screen will tell you how much you have left. In reality, 20mm HE ammunition is mixed on a 3:1 or 4:1 bases with API ammunition. When the game says a unit has 48 ammo, I believe it means 48 bursts of ammo, thus you are hitting with both AP and HE rounds. No autcannon unit in real life carried only 48 rounds. This is why the gun affects armor and infantry equally well, you are spraying them with both types of rounds.

Goblin- A Goblin loves the word 'Autocannon':)
Gavris Narcis
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Gavris Narcis »

O.K.

Now I imagine what it is. Automatic burst of ammo ! Because it's autocanon (automatic loading gun)! Yes ? But a few question:

1 all WWII 20 mm guns were autocannons ?
2. because this bursts of ammo I supposed the damage inflicted by this weapon to be much more significant; it's not a only one round but burst of ammo which means multiple rounds. Take an example: if such burst is fired against an infantry squad I assumed that it is a higher procent that a round of this burst to hit somebody; or another: if that burst is fired against an armored vehicle, it is higher probable that some rounds to hit the same area and weakens this area (which makes this 20 mm autocanon a redutable oponent even for better armored units, or this targeted unit is hit by much more rounds in differnt locations and that seems the game doesn't simulate !

Have I'm wrong ?

Leo.
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

1.) I don't know. I believe most 20mm are/were autos.
2.) IMO the game reflects the burst by giving the gun an increased accuracy, thus an increased chance to hit (more rounds downrange, more chance to hit). You really notice an increase in this when you get multi-barreled guns. (OOB editor, under weapons) The more barrels (and thus shots) the more the accuracy increases.

www.wwiivehicles.com

This site has data on several units that carried the 20mm, along with info on the gun. The SdKfz 222 carried 180 rounds for the 20mm, but the game shows 48. Must be small burst of ammunition, of a mixed nature.

Goblin- A Goblin loves that site:eek: :D
panda124c
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Post by panda124c »

Originally posted by Goblin
1.) I don't know. I believe most 20mm are/were autos.
With the exception of 20mm ATR's (bolt action) all 20mm's were auto.
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”