White Christmas

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

White Christmas

Post by JudgeDredd »

I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.

I don't remember the last time I had a White Christmas here in Colchester (UK).

There's nothing better than throwing on White Christmas on Christmas Day and watching the snow fall
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
mack2
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:00 pm

RE: White Christmas

Post by mack2 »

I doubt anywhere in Australia gets snow at Christmas.
User avatar
Dixie
Posts: 10304
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

RE: White Christmas

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.

I don't remember the last time I had a White Christmas here in Colchester (UK).

There's nothing better than throwing on White Christmas on Christmas Day and watching the snow fall

I seem to remember that for most of the past few years in the UK we've had a Wet Christmas [8|]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: White Christmas

Post by captskillet »

Fat chance here in Louisiana Judge........we get snow from time to time but never in my almost 52 years have I seen it when the Fatman & Rudolph show up....................from around Missouri on North has a good chance every year.
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
User avatar
sprior
Posts: 8298
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:38 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK

RE: White Christmas

Post by sprior »

Happens here in Chicago quite regularly (at least in the 7 years I've been here).
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Image
User avatar
PunkReaper
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: England

RE: White Christmas

Post by PunkReaper »

That's why the song says "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" and not "I'm having a white Christmas". Must have been written in the North West of England..
User avatar
Neilster
Posts: 3010
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:52 pm
Location: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia

RE: White Christmas

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: mack2

I doubt anywhere in Australia gets snow at Christmas.
Apparently it has happened here in Hobart. Because we're at the southern-most point in Australia (remember things are upside-down here northern-hemisphere folk [;)]) and surrounded by ocean which causes a lag to all seasons, consistently warm weather doesn't really start here until about mid December. When a dirty great cold front comes out of the Southern Ocean the weather can turn nasty quickly. I'm told it has snowed here on Christmas day.

A couple of years ago I met a 2 young, female European backpackers whilst camping on the East Coast. They stayed with me in Hobart for a while in late January before leaving to tackle the 5 day overland track at Cradle Mountain. Lovely girls...very enthusiastic...[;)] Anyway, I insisted that they buy thermal underwear before they left. They laughed at me, as it was pretty hot but I said to them, "Believe me, the weather can change fast up there. Don't eff with the Tasmanian mountains. Every year they kill people who underestimate them." Well... did it ever! A massive cold front came through on their first day, bringing gale force winds and snow. They got lost and were lucky they were found by experienced bushwalkers who guided them to safety.

Having said that, it's going to be 25 Celsius today with blazing sunshine. We also get an Indian summer that stretches on well into April. Last year we had a 37 degree day (100F) in October with dozens of houses in Hobart destroyed by bushfire. 2 days later I looked out my window and it was snowing. [X(]

Cheers, Neilster


Cheers, Neilster
User avatar
mack2
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:00 pm

RE: White Christmas

Post by mack2 »

I knew I should have specified "Mainland Australia".
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 am
Location: LAS VEGAS TAKE A CHANCE

RE: White Christmas

Post by Zap »

Here, the mountains of southern california, we can be assured of snow. We just can't be guaranteed it will fall on Christmas. Many, up here, wish they could place an order to have it snow on Christmas Eve for the reason you stated, Judge.


If you miss the snow. Come to the Matrix forum, on Christmas Day. I see that Matrix has the snow falling[:D]
User avatar
Veldor
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:32 am
Location: King's Landing

RE: White Christmas

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: sprior

Happens here in Chicago quite regularly (at least in the 7 years I've been here).

In Chicago, We almost even had snow for Thanksgiving!!

I've lived here all my life and in a town that Hollywood loves to use for christmas movies (Everything from Home Alone onwards) I'd really say that we don't normally actually have a White Christmas.

We usually get some sometime before christmas, that then melts entirely before Christmas.. And then it snows a lot in late January through sometime in March which are actually the true winter months many places.

If I had to guess Id say its been a white christmas 2-3 times in the last 7 years only (I could be wrong). Which is well above average here. But, so far as I've heard, Chicago is still the best chance for it of any "Normal Place". I've even heard of people moving here who love Christmas and its certainly an area that borders on going overboard on the whole holiday thing. People do believe what they see in movies!!

Home Decorations start popping up November 1st and stores around here start decorating in July :)
User avatar
Rainbow7
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Ottawa

RE: White Christmas

Post by Rainbow7 »

We had two days of major snow fall this week.  Seem all I've been doing is shovelling the driveway.
Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying
User avatar
Arctic Blast
Posts: 1157
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:58 am
Contact:

RE: White Christmas

Post by Arctic Blast »

Typically not much of an issue in Alberta. Hell, we're expecting a few centimeters in 2 days.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
User avatar
morvwilson
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: White Christmas

Post by morvwilson »

ORIGINAL: Dixie
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.

I don't remember the last time I had a White Christmas here in Colchester (UK).

There's nothing better than throwing on White Christmas on Christmas Day and watching the snow fall

I seem to remember that for most of the past few years in the UK we've had a Wet Christmas [8|]
What?!
Rain in England!?
Nyah!
Never happen!
It's all in your head!

It's all propaganda!

No snow here in California, except in the mountains.

Merry Christmas to ya!
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
User avatar
hueglin
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:03 pm
Location: Kingston, ON, Canada

RE: White Christmas

Post by hueglin »

We have snow on the ground right now. It's anyone's guess if it will still be here at Christmas. We're about 50/50 on White Christmases.
User avatar
LarryP
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Carson City, NV

RE: White Christmas

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.

In Carson City Nevada we get snow at Christmas about 40% of the time. It almost always snows shortly after though. We are at 4700 feet. [:)]
User avatar
KG Erwin
Posts: 8366
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cross Lanes WV USA

RE: White Christmas

Post by KG Erwin »

Here in WV, snow on Christmas is relatively rare. We don't usually get any major accumulations until January-February.
Image
User avatar
105mm Howitzer
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:13 am
Location: Montreal, Quebec

RE: White Christmas

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Just received 15cm 3 days ago, stuff was mixed with rain and sleet...Let the car-sliding season begin.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
User avatar
stevemk1a
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Penticton B.C.

RE: White Christmas

Post by stevemk1a »

Just got 10cm or so of snow, temp is -8c. Forecast is calling for more snow and lows of -20c predicted for next week. It gets dark at about 4:00pm or so this time of year too. Time of year to either buy more wargames, or a new snowmobile ... [:'(]
Ursa MAior
Posts: 1414
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 am
Location: Hungary, EU

RE: White Christmas

Post by Ursa MAior »

Neither here in Eastern-Central Europe. Last white christmas was like 10 yrs ago. Damned global warming. I even forgot how to iceskate.
Image
Art by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: White Christmas

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Typically not much of an issue in Alberta. Hell, we're expecting a few centimeters in 2 days.
I was in Alberta...Wainwright to be exact. Had some great nights out in Edmonton and, in particular, the Robin Hood bar in Edmonton Mall.

I love your country [&o]
Alba gu' brath
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”