We've had at least 1 Buff defender.Or the Buffalo?
I am surprised though at the lack of defense for Japanese aircraft.
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
We've had at least 1 Buff defender.Or the Buffalo?

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
Allied high altitude stalwarts like the P-47 and P-51 were vastly superior to the ME-109 (you can pick any variant you want). The best of the German interceptors were all based on the FW-190 design.
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
We've had at least 1 Buff defender.Or the Buffalo?
I am surprised though at the lack of defense for Japanese aircraft.


Yes it's sad - but as Frank Sinatra used to sing - "That's Life..."[:'(]ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
[:(] Is there no one to defend the Lysander or the whirrawind? Or the the P-400? Or the Buffalo? Or even the Boomerang? Or on the other side of the world , the Defiant? Sad, so sad. [:(]
ORIGINAL: Dixie
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
We've had at least 1 Buff defender.Or the Buffalo?
I am surprised though at the lack of defense for Japanese aircraft.
OK then, I choose the J2M. Because it has a cool lightning flash down the side [:D]


ORIGINAL: mdiehl
I was also such a highly standardized design that massively producing it for lend lease,
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
... However, if I were an allied pilot I'm not sure I would want to go 1:1 with a trained Frank pilot.
Which I am not, and probably never would be. [:'(]ORIGINAL: Big B
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
... However, if I were an allied pilot I'm not sure I would want to go 1:1 with a trained Frank pilot.
All fighter pilots are so aggressive they wouldn't shirk taking on anything - or else they wouldn't be fighter pilots. [;)][:D]

List your reasons as to why you think the P-47C would be better at high altitude, where a Me109K-10 could fly in circles around it.
You're a Lend Lease design?
ORIGINAL: mdiehl
At 30-40K feet the P47 was faster, could dive faster, could accelerate faster, could hit harder, could survive damage better, could out roll, out turn, out accelerate, out shine, out luster, and out dance any ME 109 ever made or dreamed of. And then after shredding a few 109s, it could land, reload and bust a train full of nazis with relative impunity compared to any 109.
Yes, please there could be children about. [;)]ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
before you start brandishing statistics at each other.

Look at the climb-rate, that btw is also a function of acceleration.
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
[:(] Is there no one to defend the Lysander or the whirrawind? Or the the P-400? Or the Buffalo? Or even the Boomerang? Or on the other side of the world , the Defiant? Sad, so sad. [:(]
ORIGINAL: mdiehl
Look at the climb-rate, that btw is also a function of acceleration.
Incorrect. It's a function of weight, airspeed, aerodynamics, and current altitude.
Once again, was it a nice friendly contest where an ME-109K combat loaded were lifting off next to a P47 combat loaded, the ME-109 would win a race to altitude. It means nothing, because in 1944-1945, the general tendency was meeting engagements. At high alttiude the ME-109K was a pig. At 38,000 feet, the P-47 was, by comparison, nimble.




Well, yes and no. Several fighters mentioned here existed throughout the war. Like the Spit. It is pretty hard to pin down the "best fighter". In truth several fighters were very good and about equal in performance. Late war fighter planes do have the advantage of newer technology, but then some of what are considered the best early war fighters simply benefited from flying against planes that were obsolete. The Zero vs the Buf or the Zero vs the P-36 comes to mind.ORIGINAL: Shawkhan
...It should be obvious to anyone that the best fighter of WWII will be one of the last designs. Wouldn't it make more sense to discuss the best fighter at various points in the war? The best fighter at December 7, 1941, the best fighter of 1942, etc. A plane should be compared to the other fighters it would most probably meet in combat at any given time.

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek
id say an allied plane, especially to panzerjaeger......
because if german or japanese ones were that good, we'd all be speaking german or japanese
and we're not! [:D]
T-34, M-1 Garande. Best fighter Ta-152. Oh and Butterscotch!!! Hands down it's Butterscotch.ORIGINAL: Feltan
ORIGINAL: undercovergeek
id say an allied plane, especially to panzerjaeger......
because if german or japanese ones were that good, we'd all be speaking german or japanese
and we're not! [:D]
Very true. That is because the argument about the best airframe is pointless in the absence of discussing other equally important aspects such as organization, numbers, mainenance, training, logistics, etc.
In other forums, I've seen passionate people almost come to blows over which tank is best, or which rifle is tops. When viewed in isolation, such arguments are almost humorous to observe. In isolation, you might just as well be arguing over which flavor of ice cream is best.
Regards,
Feltan