You Know What Would Be Nice?

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Post Reply
tgb
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:14 pm

You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by tgb »

If some kind soul who has played the board game would post a hand holding walk through for the first three or four turns. Good as Raleigh's tips are, they still assume more familiarity with the game than some of us have.

SO far all I've managed to do is launch it and learn a bit of the interface. I'd like to get more play time in while reading the manual.
User avatar
jjax
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:42 am

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by jjax »

Agreed[&o][&o][&o][&o]
--JJAX

User avatar
sprior
Posts: 8298
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:38 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by sprior »

Yes, if I could actually see it in the store to buy...
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Image
User avatar
Bluestew0
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by Bluestew0 »

In the time it would take someone to write up a guide, you'd already have finished reading the manual and be well in to your first game. :) However, I have no doubt guides will be forthcoming in the near future.
Police toilets stolen! Officers have nothing to go on.
User avatar
Bluestew0
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by Bluestew0 »

ORIGINAL: sprior

Yes, if I could actually see it in the store to buy...


http://www.matrixgames.com/games/store.asp?gid=285
Police toilets stolen! Officers have nothing to go on.
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by Erik Rutins »

This is a game where I would definitely suggest reading the manual first, then playing, just FYI.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
tgb
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:14 pm

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by tgb »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is a game where I would definitely suggest reading the manual first, then playing, just FYI.


Obviously, Erik, nobody has explained the concept of "instant gratification" to you. What kind of an American are you?[:D]

Actually I'm thinking the approach to take would be to blunder through a game while reading and re-reading about each phase as it is played. Make sense?
User avatar
sprior
Posts: 8298
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:38 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by sprior »

Thanks Blue. Got it.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Image
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: tgb
Obviously, Erik, nobody has explained the concept of "instant gratification" to you. What kind of an American are you?[:D]
Actually I'm thinking the approach to take would be to blunder through a game while reading and re-reading about each phase as it is played. Make sense?

Well, to be honest, this is a case of "do as I say, not as I do". [;)]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
sprior
Posts: 8298
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:38 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by sprior »

ORIGINAL: tgb

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is a game where I would definitely suggest reading the manual first, then playing, just FYI.


Obviously, Erik, nobody has explained the concept of "instant gratification" to you. What kind of an American are you?[:D]

Actually I'm thinking the approach to take would be to blunder through a game while reading and re-reading about each phase as it is played. Make sense?

A real PC gamer!
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Image
igor7111
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:27 pm

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by igor7111 »

Some kind of a tutorial just to get noobs feet wet (especially those that never
played the board game and havent a clue) would be really really nice.

Having TRIED to get through a turn by now, I stand by my statement
that even a one turn tutorial would have been immensely helpful.
This is a bear to figure out. I must be getting to old for this.
User avatar
PunkReaper
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: England

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by PunkReaper »

This is a game where I would definitely suggest reading the manual first, then playing, just FYI

You mean I've waited all day and now I have to read the manual as well......could you not read it for me and then just condense it down to one page please
User avatar
MarshallEllis
Posts: 5632
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:00 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by MarshallEllis »

Ok, here goes...
 
Play as France and don't try to defeat Great Britain's navy and don't try to invade Russia.
 
 
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games


zenmaster
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:20 pm

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by zenmaster »

It's not for beginners, but I always loved the Turks.
Can't keep those dang militia like units down.
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by Mynok »


I've always been partial to the Turks as well. They have lots of diplomatic opportunities, and if they can work out setting up the Ottoman Empire (that IS in the game I hope!), they can address their serious funding problems. High risk, high reward is obviously the key to their low morale armies winning, but when they do....talk about pursuit!!


"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
therockyfroggy
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:08 am

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by therockyfroggy »

Here's a very good article on grand strategy for the game, giving noobies a good overall idea of what to possible do and possibly not to do, expecially against those who are already adept at the game.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah ... h20030801a
igor7111
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:27 pm

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by igor7111 »

excellent rockyfrog, just really excellent.   thank you thank you.
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by Mynok »


I remember reading the first printing. Age sucks. [8|] [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
donkuchi19
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by donkuchi19 »

ORIGINAL: Mynok


I've always been partial to the Turks as well. They have lots of diplomatic opportunities, and if they can work out setting up the Ottoman Empire (that IS in the game I hope!), they can address their serious funding problems. High risk, high reward is obviously the key to their low morale armies winning, but when they do....talk about pursuit!!



In Beta, I kept getting stuck with the Turks because I hate bidding high for any of the powers. I've learned to play them a bit better, but I don't consider myself and expert by any means.
Grognot
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:37 pm

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Post by Grognot »

...and if you're Austria, try to make an alliance (or informal NAPs, if multiplayer), because the odds are pretty decent that somebody's already planning to make you a target.  Similar goes for Prussia -- nice army, but if France DoW's and Russia and Austria opportunistically join in, you've got some problems.

UK is probably first or second easiest for a newbie from the POV of survival -- so long as you control the Channel with Nelson and your fleet, and preferably blockade the French fleets ASAP, the French corps shouldn't be walking over.  There's also decent diplomatic prospects with Sweden.  Achieving domination instead of survival isn't as simple, but at least you're not likely to die fast, even against human players.

One of the smaller, more limited scenarios might have been good to include -- 1812 Campaign, for instance, might teach about foraging and supply, while letting diplomacy be a minor aspect.  :D :D
--
Not a grognard.
Not an optimizer. It's a game to me, not a job.
Post Reply

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”