EXTRA costs charged by UPS upon dleivery!!!!!!!

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
cverbrug
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Belgium

EXTRA costs charged by UPS upon dleivery!!!!!!!

Post by cverbrug »

Hey all,

Just got a phonecall from my flatmate UPS delivered the game. GREAT.

BUT , they forced him to pay around 20 USD extra costs for shipping, while i had already paid around 30 USD to matrix for the same thing. Whats going on here? Is this a trick of Matrix or from UPS to get quickly rich?
Anyway, i intend to pay only once shipping costs. What to do now to get this money back?

Did the same happened to anyone else?

Regards,
Christophe
Image
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

Give Matrix a break guys!

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Complaints are one thing, accusations are another. I personally don't trust "the Brown". I think problems such as this should be addressed to the Matrix Sales Desk.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
David Heath
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 5:00 pm

Post by David Heath »

This is tax or duty that your country charges and has nothing to d owith Matrix Games. It is posted on our store and we have added a new feature that warns you when you order. To avoid these charge by from one of our dealers.
JDDT
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:00 am

Post by JDDT »

Well, you can not really AVOID this cost by buying from European Dealers, as they have to add Value Added Tax (VAT) to their prices as well. It is just a matter of comparing the US prices with the European prices, and you just have to take into account that the European prices already contain the standard VAT, while it is added to the imported games upon importing by the customs office. You just pay the same percentage of VAT that you would pay when buying a computer game in a store your homeland.
All that could be avoided are the ca. 4% tax for importing CDs, which would not be charged if the CDs were printed here in Europe.
Kind regards
JDDT
dgaad
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Hockeytown

Post by dgaad »

Doesn't it make anybody sick that governments do this crapola?

Whatever happened to Free Trade?

"Oh, you want to buy a game? Sure, just let me double the cost first. There you go. Now, that's the price you pay for "civilization"."

The people create civilization, not governments. Governments have done more to screw up civilization than any other type of organization.
Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)
dgaad
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Hockeytown

Post by dgaad »

Notice Christophe, UPS, and his flatmate's first instinct was to blame a private company. Last thing that entered their mind was that it was a government tax charge. Sad, but typical. No offense Christophe.
Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

Post by Speedysteve »

Yup I know what you mean!

I saw a UPS delivery note when I got home from work on thursday.

I was like "ooh, seems that UV has got here quick". Then I saw handwritten on the note was £19.42 to pay on delivery! I was shocked but thought ok I understand why! Then to make matters worse I ring UPS to find out when they would try and re-deliver UV (everyone was out at work when they originally tried to deliver) and I was told that they would attempt to re-deliver tomorrow (friday) between 9 and 2.

I said "well thats no good coz there'll be no one here, can't you deliver next door or something?" (this is the bit that gets me)

"To transfer delivery address will take a couple of days!"

I said "why would it take a couple of days (hence, delivery on monday) to deliver to my next door neighbour?"

"Sorry, sir its just that it will take that time to enter onto our system and for this address to reach our depot".

By this stage I was a cross between slightly miffed and laughing at the inflexibility of modern systems and companies.

So net result i'm paying £19.42 extra and won't be getting the game at my work place until monday! ***By the way I don't blame Matrix for any of this*** But to make matters worse i'm out seeing Star Wars on monday night = little UV playing time. Its tempting to say to my girlfriend "sorry darling can we go another night?" ;) However, I would get severly accosted for that!
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Henri
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:32 pm

Post by Henri »

Christophe, sound to me like you are in Canada lime me.If so, what your friend probably paid was "brokerage fees". Last week I paid a $46 fee to UPS for Starships Unlimited.

I am not sure who gets this money, the govrnment or UPS. In the case of Canada, I suspect that it may be retliation for the lumber tax imposed by the US on Canadian wood.If so, it means that the Canadian Government is getting back at the US by kicking the butt of Canadians...

There is a Canadian distributor indicated in a sticky message on the general forum, but they have not received the game yet and they are closed on Monday due to the Holiday of the Queen's birthday (Quebeckers instead celebrate Dollard des Ormaux, a small-time shady character who became famous by being massacred in a battle against the Indians -how un-PC...).

Henri
McDuck
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:57 pm

Post by McDuck »

Hi all . Ah yes , UPS . Customs Canada charges $5 to clear a parcel whereas UPS either charges a flat fee or a % of the value of the goods . Which ever is higher . And it's always alot higher . The gov't gets any taxes , gst & pst , but UPS pockets any brokerage fee . And it doesn't get here all that much faster . If i have a choice i'll always opt for USPS for stuff from the US every time . Not having to put up with UPS's fees was the reason i cancelled my order with Matrix and placed it with Military Hobbies . Unfortunately i see in another posting that Dave S's order is still hung up in customs . Having export shipments pre-inspected was a stroke of genius but i guess Canada Customs has found a way around that ! ( " they're the glue that holds the gears together " - H.Simpson . ) At least it's in the country . Between Customs and Canada Post Express Shipping my order should only be weeks away from arriving ! But when it does get here i want it to be a happy memory and not one of being pissed at having to pay ransom to UPS , again . I enjoy spending money but i don't like throwing it away . That's the goverment's job .
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”