unable to launch UV

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: Tankerace

Post Reply
robbo
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 11:28 am

unable to launch UV

Post by robbo »

Cannot get the game to run. Fresh install on P3-800, WIN98SE, V5500, aureal2 soundcard, last drivers available. The first time I tried to launch the game after install I got a screen that said organizing files then an immediate BSOD on a VXD VCACHE fault. The computer also BSOD'd while trying to restart after that. Ever since the same conditions but the BSOD is on a VXD AU30WAVE fault (which would be the sound card). This system is extremely stable otherwise (I haven't had a BSOD in 4-5 months and I flight sim off this system).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

robbo

robbodmit@hotmail.com
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

I see the matter is solved [UV Board]

for the others:

turning of the Hardware Acceleration of the soundcard helps this. Hardware Acceleration of sound cards causes sometimes problems.

I personally have this problme with Operation Flashpoint for example, although I have a very very common soundcard ;)
Lindros
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:55 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

My Frustrations

Post by Lindros »

I have the same "blue screen of death" fatal exception error as everyone else! Its clearly due to my sound card because the game will run if I disable it. I've followed the posts and recommendations to no avail. I've updated my drivers to WHQL certified drivers, I've tried reference drivers.... same problem. I've spent my very precious free time working on this and I'm not very happy at all. Will the upcoming patch address UV's clear lack of compatibility with sound cards?

I have a Falcon NW P3 500, 256Mb ram, 13Gb HD, Monster Sound MX300 sound card, Voodoo 2 SLI 24MB 3D, Velocity 4400 16MB 2D/3D.

This machine has been extremely compatible in the past.
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

UV's clear lack of compatibility with sound cards?


UV supports the vast majority of sound cards without any problems. However, there are a lot of unconventional, "cheap" and bargain hardware pieces out there. It´s not really allways the "fault" of UV or Matrix if the game doesn´t run properly on a specific system but sometimes also the lack of a decent driver or bugfixing ability by the hardware manufacturers. The teamplay some motherboards have with soundcards is not allways a very good one.

Anyway, in your case, did you try a BIOS update yet? This solved sound card issues for some people.
Also I found this looking for MX300 troubleshooting, unfortunatly the link to extensive troubleshooting (http://redwood.stomped.com/) seems to be down:
Although I didn't have any problems, some people have. Redwood has had a boatload of trouble, including blue screens of death and failures to boot stemming from the DOS driver and Norton Anti-Virus conflicting. Once he nixed the DOS driver, everything worked fine. So don't use the DOS driver if you use NAV! I don't know if the beta web drivers fix this problem, there is no mention of it in the readme, so if you don't heed this advice, you are on your own.

source:http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/1q99/mx300.html


My only advice (this doesn´t apply to you cause the MX300 is a quality card, alltough a old one), and I´ve been preaching this for years too my buddys now, is to get quality hardware parts from manufacturers that have a decent patch and update philosophy. This is especially crucial with sound cards and motherboards for some reason.
A few guys here might still remember the fine tuning you had to do years ago with old software pieces when the sound card was not a "soundblaster compatible" one ;)
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”