Been reading this thread and I'm just shaking my head. Who gives a rat's ass who plays email and who plays strictly AI?
...which sums up my thoughts exactly. Do any of you guys actually enjoy the games you're playing?
Moderator: maddog986
Been reading this thread and I'm just shaking my head. Who gives a rat's ass who plays email and who plays strictly AI?
ORIGINAL: BAL
Do any of you guys actually enjoy the games you're playing?
ORIGINAL: Joe 98
ORIGINAL: BAL
Do any of you guys actually enjoy the games you're playing?
Yes.
But to be more accurate, I enjoy the games I am PBEM-ing [:D]
=
I guess that leaves it up to me...I'll raise a dog's leg...[:D]ORIGINAL: freeboy
I see your rats ass, and raise you a cats tail
ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko
ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
Oleg's post is one of the reasons I don't play PBEM. There's a certain elitism that some PBEMers attach to themselves, for whatever unknown reason. They thumb their noses at playing against the AI, as they perceive it as being "beneath" them.
.....
So, if you like it, fine. If you don't, that's fine, too.
Absolutely, that's fine. Playing solely against AI is perfectly fine if that's your choice.
However, asking for people to provide you with *justification* for that on a wargaming forum is stupid IMO.
AI is second class opponent, in some, more complex games it's third class opponent, in some games it's no challenge AT ALL. Of course people who play frist class opponents (ie other people) will laugh at you if you play second class opponents and insist you're doing fine and/or taking it (the AI) seriously.
Personally I find people who complain about AI in mega complex strategic games like WITP, EiA etc - ridicolous. If you even *expect* the AI to provide strategic challenge in games as complex as those you don't know a frist thing abpout games, AI, software etc.
Yeah well sorry if I seem "elitist" to you, I think I am just being brutally realistic, sorry if you don't like Real World (it's a cruel place I know, playing vs AI is certaily easier)
ORIGINAL:
I'm a war game veteran, having played everything from the operational art of war, to some of John Tiller's original games from Talensoft such as Gettysburg, to Hearts of Iron II, and I usually crush the AI, so I'm really enjoying this game's challenge.
I'm playing the……..
ORIGINAL: Joe 98
Here is a quote taken from another wargaming forum. The person is seeking tactical advice in a wargame game he is playing.
ORIGINAL:
I'm a war game veteran, having played everything from the operational art of war, to some of John Tiller's original games from Talensoft such as Gettysburg, to Hearts of Iron II, and I usually crush the AI, so I'm really enjoying this game's challenge.
I'm playing the……..
It is phrases such as the words above in blue text, that we PBEM'ers see often on wargaming forums, that leads to Oleg making the comments he did.
In other words, you started it, not him.
-
ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant
It would be interesting to note how many of the 'AI only' brigade started their wargaming careers with computer wargames as opposed to board wargames. For myself, I cut my wargaming teeth on boardgames but moved to computer games in the late 80's - but I generally am not interested in a game that is AI only because it doesn't feel right to me; not being able to take it that step further and play it like a board game with another player is usually a deal killer. But to each their own. Ultimately these games are for individual entertainment.
cheers
ORIGINAL: ravinhood
Sorry Joe, but, ONE person writing that they CRUSHED the AI
ORIGINAL: Joram
I guess I would belong to the "AI" brigade (do we get t-shirts?) and I am one who started off on board wargames. I still play them on occasion but for the most part my job and life require me to stick to computer games. Veldor summed it up pretty nicely. And I agree, post like Oleg's is the very reason I don't care to even get into PBEM that much. I also think the excuse of "just PBEM for a challenge" is a lazy one. Not everyone can do that and as I said in another thread, poor AI in wargames is what is going to keep this a niche market.
ORIGINAL: HansBolter
1. A first class opponet is the one who is there to play against you when the whim to play settles upon you. AI wins hands down!
2. A first class opponet is one who won't ruin your game experience by engaging in some idiotic "gamey" exploit of the mechanics. Again, AI wins hands down!
3. A first class opponent is one who is ready to quict when your are and not a minute before. AI wins hands down
4. A first class opponent6 doesn't keep you waiting 3 weeks to play your next turn because they are too busy to be bothered to honor their committment to you. Once again, the AI wins hands down.
The only thing human opponets do better than AIs is provide challenge. Now, this is certainly enough to make some choose them over AIs, but it is by no means a justification for the deluded sense of superiority displayed by so many in these forums.