German Allies and partisans

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Post Reply
Preuss
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:55 am
Location: Australia

German Allies and partisans

Post by Preuss »

Does anybody rely on the Allied infantry for anything than partisan chasing? I'm just wondering what you long time players do.
Jesus ...., with all respect. This closet germanism is allways killing me.
czerpak
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Poland

Re: German Allies and partisans

Post by czerpak »

Originally posted by Preuss
Does anybody rely on the Allied infantry for anything than partisan chasing? I'm just wondering what you long time players do.
Preuss,
I do, but one must be patient. E.g. in one of my current PBEMs Italian troops in Africa at the end of 1942 have reached experience levels of 80-90. In Africa experience doesnt count (yet) so I rotate them with fresh troops and use Italians at front. If you dont play under house rules you can do the same with Romanians and Hungarians. I do the same with Wehrmacht - fresh units go to France and Africa until they gain enough experience. But that needs long time perspective. And usually I dont give a f*** about partisans until late in war. Hope this helps a bit,
good luck in changing history
Maciej
Think first, fight afterwards, the soldier's art.
Preuss
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:55 am
Location: Australia

Post by Preuss »

thanks Czerpak,
Although I've considered rotating German units in and out of West Front, I hadn't considered doing much with their allies. I like to have my partizan chasers around, though...there's some satisfaction to seeing "partisans annihilated in combat".
BUT....I think there should be some broad area coverage units doing the work instead of combat units
Jesus ...., with all respect. This closet germanism is allways killing me.
User avatar
Ranger-75
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Giant sand box

Post by Ranger-75 »

That's what the German Security divisions were for. They're not good for much else. I put a couple of them in spare korps and chase the partisans.
Still playing PacWar (but no so much anymore)...
Lokioftheaesir
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Oz
Contact:

Re: German Allies and partisans

Post by Lokioftheaesir »

Originally posted by Preuss
Does anybody rely on the Allied infantry for anything than partisan chasing? I'm just wondering what you long time players do.
Preuss

Yes i do.

Hungarian/Rumanian/Itallian (and Slovak) Infantry and Mot/Pz Divisions are potentially just as strong as German divisions. They only need to have their experience raised to 70+ or more.
If you have decided that the war will continue into '42 then give these units as much combat experience as possible.
Many games that ended in Axis Victory in '42 have had strong Allied divisions holding less contested areas of the front. One has Itallian Pz Divs (as part of a German PzCorps) encircling Moscow.
Do not waste resources. You have only just enough to win.

Loki

As to Security Inf Divs being useless. Well iv'e
had a few battles where 3-4 Sec Inf Divs have held off a soviet attack in Blizzard. What more could i ask?
Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
moonfog
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: German Allies and partisans

Post by moonfog »

Originally posted by Preuss
Does anybody rely on the Allied infantry for anything than partisan chasing? I'm just wondering what you long time players do.
I normally reorganize the romanian units in the first couple of turns. The 3rd romanian army becomes a part of AG South and is to defend the Kharkov area during winter 41/42. I think especially in the south the germans don't have enough own units to close the line. Minor allies in the frontline are still better than nothing.

The mobile units of the minor axis are put into spare PzKorps shells and used as mobile battlegroups to assist german breakthroughs.

Regards
moonfog
Post Reply

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”