Trivia #11

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Knavey »

ORIGINAL: String

Type 4 amphibious tank. Was meant to carry two type 2 torpedoes on a surprise attack on Ulithi in 1944.

And String untangles the KNOT!

Good job. Going to post a few pics of it. I stumbled across it while reading the US Naval Technical Mission to Japan . Here is the document in question. HERE



Image
Attachments
jap20typ..tsu202.jpg
jap20typ..tsu202.jpg (33.38 KiB) Viewed 455 times
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Knavey »

Shown here without the torpedoes. Apparently it could carry either the torpedoes OR the machine guns.



Image
Attachments
jap20typ..Tsu205.jpg
jap20typ..Tsu205.jpg (39.65 KiB) Viewed 455 times
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Knavey »

Another picture of it.

Image
Attachments
jap20typ..20katsu.jpg
jap20typ..20katsu.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 455 times
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Knavey »

And a computer recreation of it.
It was pointed out in the place I found this photo that it is an incorrect modelling because it shows the mgs AND the torpedoes.

http://gunpoint-3d.com : Credit for the image below


Image
Attachments
Ka_Tsu_f.jpg
Ka_Tsu_f.jpg (60.29 KiB) Viewed 455 times
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Trivia #11

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

....Go to the top right of this page and click the "Register" link to find the rules. In brief, here they are...

Joe,

Thank you for responding.

I was chided above by another forum member for not reading the rules. Thank you for pointing them out.

It seems that this other forum member who took it upon himself to set me straight, should be the one who needs to read the rules.

Regards,
Feltan
Feltan , I think maybe we sometimes forget that there are "unwritten rules". While I haven't been responding to these forums for anywhere near the time that Terminus has , in my short time here I have seen numerous commentary from the correspondents to the these threads , almost entirely in support of the concept of "no politics". While there may be no posted rules (which I somewhat doubt, I'm sure if you go back far enough , there is some posting to that effect) , good manners and common sense should govern us here. Consider that nearly every country and continient is represented here. How can you possibly make any political comment here and not offend someone? And how does a political comment do anything to promote our understanding and enjoyment of WITP? Let's just let this one slide , before some moderator reads this and makes a rule.

[:)]
User avatar
decaro
Posts: 4004
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:05 pm
Location: Stratford, Connecticut
Contact:

RE: Trivia #11

Post by decaro »

Almost every forum moderator claims politics on these forums are verbotten, but it's not posted in the forum rules. Of course, arguing this w/a moderator could be interpreted as disrespectful, which is a rule.

In any case, it shouldn't be difficult for Matrix to edit their list and add "no politics" -- w/a definition of what is political -- to the end of it.

Or has this thread now become "political"? If so, mea culpa, in advance.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Knavey »

And yes...the clues...I converted the kph to mph hoping to put people into a land vehicle as opposed to a ship.  AND, I did say the clues would "drive" you in the right direction. 

Oh yes, and the fact that it never fired a shot in battle.

Good job String.  How did you find it?
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
User avatar
decaro
Posts: 4004
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:05 pm
Location: Stratford, Connecticut
Contact:

RE: Trivia #11

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Knavey

I carried 2 torpedoes ...
[:D]

I guess the keyword is "carried"; looking at the computer model, I can't see how these fish could launch w/o turning the tank into a submarine!
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: Trivia #11

Post by BrucePowers »

What was that thing supposed to be used for? It seems to me like a waste of resources.
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16760
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Mike Solli »

Just another way to die gloriously for the Emperor. [8|]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Knavey »

Ahh...here is the interesting part.  IT WAS A SUBMARINE!  Sort of...
 
Apparently it could be carried like a midget sub.  One of the differences was, that they would actually FLOOD the vehicle and then drain it when it was time to launch.  Page 28 of the document linked above has a good description of it.
 
 
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Trivia #11

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Knavey

ORIGINAL: String

Type 4 amphibious tank. Was meant to carry two type 2 torpedoes on a surprise attack on Ulithi in 1944.

And String untangles the KNOT!

Good job. Going to post a few pics of it. I stumbled across it while reading the US Naval Technical Mission to Japan . Here is the document in question. HERE



Image

Oh, one of those silly things...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Knavey »

I think they are going to put them in AE!
 
[:D]
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: Trivia #11

Post by mlees »

If you use the search function and look back at the posts of the moderators in the past year, you should see a few "no politics, take it to madcows" type of directives. 
User avatar
Feltan
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:47 am
Location: Kansas

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Feltan , I think maybe we sometimes forget that there are "unwritten rules". While I haven't been responding to these forums for anywhere near the time that Terminus has , in my short time here I have seen numerous commentary from the correspondents to the these threads , almost entirely in support of the concept of "no politics". While there may be no posted rules (which I somewhat doubt, I'm sure if you go back far enough , there is some posting to that effect) , good manners and common sense should govern us here. Consider that nearly every country and continient is represented here. How can you possibly make any political comment here and not offend someone? And how does a political comment do anything to promote our understanding and enjoyment of WITP? Let's just let this one slide , before some moderator reads this and makes a rule.

[:)]

Your point is well taken.

I have been known to be a bit provocative at times, and my sense of humor does not always tranlate well to those with exceptionally thin skin either. However, I would not knowingly violate forum rules nor post anything I thought was patently offensive. And I maintain there is a difference between violating rules, and posting something that is inapproprate in someone's personal opinion -- heck, almost anything you write could be against someone's opinion.

That being said, if I tweaked anyone too much with a slight political jab then I apologize. The sense of the forum has importance too, and I will refrain from doing so in the future.

Regards,
Feltan
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Trivia #11

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Feltan , I think maybe we sometimes forget that there are "unwritten rules". While I haven't been responding to these forums for anywhere near the time that Terminus has , in my short time here I have seen numerous commentary from the correspondents to the these threads , almost entirely in support of the concept of "no politics". While there may be no posted rules (which I somewhat doubt, I'm sure if you go back far enough , there is some posting to that effect) , good manners and common sense should govern us here. Consider that nearly every country and continient is represented here. How can you possibly make any political comment here and not offend someone? And how does a political comment do anything to promote our understanding and enjoyment of WITP? Let's just let this one slide , before some moderator reads this and makes a rule.

[:)]

Your point is well taken.

I have been known to be a bit provocative at times, and my sense of humor does not always tranlate well to those with exceptionally thin skin either. However, I would not knowingly violate forum rules nor post anything I thought was patently offensive. And I maintain there is a difference between violating rules, and posting something that is inapproprate in someone's personal opinion -- heck, almost anything you write could be against someone's opinion.

That being said, if I tweaked anyone too much with a slight political jab then I apologize. The sense of the forum has importance too, and I will refrain from doing so in the future.

Regards,
Feltan
Thank you for the post. I certainly am not offended , and I greatly appreciate both your joke and explaination. I don't think anyone here has an exceptionally thin skin, but everybody occasionally has a bad day , where minor things can agravate and cause an unpleasant situation. One of the truely remarkable things about this forum is how self-policing it is. I think this is largely due to it's members showing a great deal of restraint of themselves and consideration to others. I'm really glad to see this is still in play on this particular thread. [:)]
panda124c
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Houston, TX, USA

RE: Trivia #11

Post by panda124c »

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

What was that thing supposed to be used for? It seems to me like a waste of resources.

This is the Japanese counter to the US DUKW, amphibians fight anphibians for control of the world. [:D]
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16760
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Trivia #11

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: pbear

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

What was that thing supposed to be used for? It seems to me like a waste of resources.

This is the Japanese counter to the US DUKW, amphibians fight anphibians for control of the world. [:D]

They were going to use them to torpedo DUKWs? [:'(] [:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Trivia #11

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: pbear

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

What was that thing supposed to be used for? It seems to me like a waste of resources.

This is the Japanese counter to the US DUKW, amphibians fight anphibians for control of the world. [:D]

They were going to use them to torpedo DUKWs? [:'(] [:D]
Only in DUKW season...[:D]
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: Trivia #11

Post by USSAmerica »

Wabbit season!  [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”