Most lethal Gun of the War?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Spellbinder
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Most lethal Gun of the War?

Post by Spellbinder »

Hi All,

I'm just wondering which is in your opinion the most lethal Gun of the War? Considering Penetration, ROF, accuracy ect?
I always thought the German 88 and 128 did a good job, also the US 90, but playing a '46 against Russian Heavy Metal I experience a lot of bouncing and non-lethal penetrations.
Looking at the numbers the British 17pounder seems pretty decent too, but what would be in "real-play" the Gun of your choice?
And then, maybe, which chassis(?) would you select to carry it?
Thanks for your thoughts :-)
Ciao
Spellbinder

------------------
"Semper Paratus"
Drake
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Kingston, Canada

Post by Drake »

I'm just wondering which is in your opinion the most lethal Gun of the War?

See the most Lethal, would have to say the rail gun Dora. Make a shell hole that you have to clime out of Image

Considering Penetration, ROF, accuracy ect?

Considering all of the above I would have to say the German 88. Nothing like German optics.

I always thought the German 88 and 128 did a good job, also the US 90, but playing a '46 against Russian Heavy Metal I experience a lot of bouncing and non-lethal penetrations.
Looking at the numbers the British 17pounder seems pretty decent too, but what would be in "real-play" the Gun of your choice?

Real play I would have to say the 88. A true and tested gun.

And then, maybe, which chassis(?) would you select to carry it?

Would go with the panther. They were working on a Panther II that could carry the 88 at the end of the war. Would have ben diedly.
dox44
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun May 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the woodlands, texas

Post by dox44 »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drake:
I'm just wondering which is in your opinion the most lethal Gun of the War?

the gun the other guy is using...
McGib
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by McGib »

the gun the other guy is using...[/QUOTE]

I think we have a winner!


------------------
McGib
Ready Aye Ready
Ready Aye Ready
RUsco
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Grand Rapids,MI USA
Contact:

Post by RUsco »

16 in Naval Gun. Approx 2500 lb Shell tossed about 16 miles. Besides, they made more than 1 or 2 of them.
Rickenbacker
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Örebro, Sweden

Post by Rickenbacker »

The "hohendruckpumpe" was pretty impressive, containing little chambers with propellant along the immensely long barrel that went off in sequence, the idea being to shoot a large shell to London, from somewhere in France. Not very practical, as the barrel kept cracking Image.

Seriously, though, I think the german 88mm gun was probably the best all round heavy weapon of the war. The 17pdr was good too, but in Europe mainly saw action in the Sherman Firefly IIRC, and was thus quite vulnerable. If the Tiger I had been more reliable it'd have been the best tank of the war.



------------------
Rickenbacker
------------
rickenbacker@innocent.com
Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund
--------------------------
rickenbacker@innocent.com
Hauptmann6
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Portage, MI
Contact:

Post by Hauptmann6 »

I would have to say the US 16"50cal Naval Gun. 2700 pound(IIRC) AP shell able to go though 12+ inches of steel.

Haupt
jerrek
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: australia

Post by jerrek »

what about the gun in the sturm tiger. I wouldn't like to get hit by that thing whethor i was in tank, building or fortification. i tonne shells i seem to remember - only carried 12 plus 1 up the spout. needed a crane to handle them.
Spellbinder
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Spellbinder »

Ah well, I guess I should've been more precise in my post, huh?
The 16'' and the Dora are of course impressive, but how the hell am I gonna mount this on my little tank ;-)
Serious, it really looks as if the 88 or 17pdr would be the gun of your choice. Any other options?
Of course the 300 of the Sturmtiger is nice, especially if you bombard a hex and see about 5 or 6 bailed-out crews disperse in the adjacent hexes ;-) That's what I call "clean-up" :-)

TIA
Spellbinder


------------------
"Semper Paratus"
renwor
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 17, 2000 8:00 am
Location: czech republic

Post by renwor »

Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Ah well, I guess I should've been more precise in my post, huh?
The 16'' and the Dora are of course impressive, but how the hell am I gonna mount this on my little tank ;-)

BUY BIGGER TANK !!!!!!!
Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

Post by Voriax »

Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Ah well, I guess I should've been more precise in my post, huh?
The 16'' and the Dora are of course impressive, but how the hell am I gonna mount this on my little tank ;-)
They *did* plan to build a 'Dora' with tracked chassis....

see: http://members.tripod.com/~fingolfen/superheavy/p1500.html

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”