Routine Convoys picking up TROOPS?

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
Don Bowen
Posts: 5192
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA

Routine Convoys picking up TROOPS?

Post by Don Bowen »

I'm still in the learn and experiment stage, but I have noticed what I believe is an anomaly with routine convoys.

I "routinely" create a routine convoy in Brisbane to keep bases supplied. Four AK types or so. About half the time I notice the Routine Convoy has picked up troops for transport - usually one of the Brigades of the 7th AIF Division and always to Koumac on New Caledonia.

Is this right??

Is there anyway I can prevent it??

I am running with a modied version of the Long Campaign (Scenario 17) to which I have added a bunch of picky historical trivia - including one new "beach" (Abau) on southern Papua.
Chris21wen
Posts: 7903
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

Routine Convoys

Post by Chris21wen »

I've got a similar problem from the Japanese side. I'm getting troops picked up and sent to other bases. Can I prevent this?
IChristie
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post by IChristie »

I have seen the same sort of thing, but usually only with Routine Convoys as opposed to continuous supply runs to designated bases.

You might Try setting the computer controlled convoys to resupply designated bases rather than setting them as routine convoys.

Just a thought.
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan
Narlotep
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:00 am

CS has same problems

Post by Narlotep »

I,

Nope, I posted on the bug board that I had a CS convoy set between Noumea and Luganville. Worked for several turns, then the TF commander added all the APDs and parts of 1st Marine Div. It took them on a glory ride halfway across the Coral Sea, heading to Cooksville, before I caught it and sent it back on HUMAN control.
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Post by Sonny »

Damned uppity commanders!:)

I had the same problem but thought it was because I selected the HQ for the Americal Division that the base commander loaded ALL the Americal troops he could on every available ship to transport them to Lunga.

Gotta have a meeting about this and get my commanders to listen to what I say.
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
Hartmann
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Hartmann »

What I would like though, is that the routine convoys could be set to try to get the splinter groups to their main units automatically.

Couldn't we have that feature? :)

Hartmann
Chris21wen
Posts: 7903
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

Post by Chris21wen »

You got there first. Its starting to be a pain keeping track of them.
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

Routine Convoys...

Post by Erik Rutins »

I haven't seen this happen personally, but I mainly use CS convoys for automation rather than the Routine ones. That way I can tailor the escort to match the danger zone a bit better.

In any case, if we allowed them to rejoin splinter units, you'd have folks who didn't want that to happen. Sometimes you want to split off a few guys on an APD or using some C-47s and have them off on some island rather than with the rest of the unit. I think it's best to leave that under human control.

Regarding the routine convoys picking up units though, if either of you have a save that has a routine convoy about to pick up a unit on its run (and it's repeatable), please zip it up and send it to rossm@matrixgames.com with some instructions on where to look for the problem. If we can duplicate it, we'll add it to the list. As far as I know, they're only supposed to move Supplies and Fuel.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Hartmann
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Hartmann »

Erik: that's why I suggested to have an extra toggle for the convoys (in addition to patrol etc.). This way we can choose whether we want a routine convoy to pick up the splinter groups or not. :)

Hartmann
Chris21wen
Posts: 7903
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

Post by Chris21wen »

You have a point, I do myself. The solution is to prevent routine convoys from picking up troops.
Hartmann
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Hartmann »

Originally posted by Chris H
You have a point, I do myself. The solution is to prevent routine convoys from picking up troops.
Yup. :)

If I got the issue correctly, then what happens at the moment should not happen at all (for it does not even have to do with reuniting units). Still, this bug lends inspiration to some automated troop transporting feature which could be really useful. I mean, the a/c squad replacements also "try" to find their mother units. The only thing why the ground troops can't is that they need to be transported. The convoys could be the key here. Of course, there's still one major problem to be solved, and it is the direction in which the flow of the subunits should go. Maybe to where the bigger part already is stationed, but this could turn out to be not sophisticated enough for some situations.

Hartmann
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”