Poor old game designers.....

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
msvknight
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Poor old game designers.....

Post by msvknight »

I've just spent an hour looking at the bugs/complaints section of the forum and I'm thinking what a hell of a hard life it must be to be a game designer. You put a year or more of your life into designing a game and then within a week of release you have people hacking into it and saying how terrible it is. I feel really sorry for them.

Don't get me wrong. Reporting of bugs is important and needs to be addressed, but the people who are complaining that the game isn't Carriers at War are just being frivolous. It seems to me we got just what was advertised. Pacific War with daily turns and more realistic movement. Supreme Commanders not task force commanders. I'm sure Yamamoto meant for Nagumo to mix his raid poriorities up instead of allocating two carriers exclusively for anti-shipping duties. Three carriers disabled in half an hour. Way to go Chiuchi! Carriers at War made you the Carrier commander and incidentally had one of the worst surface combat routines I have seen.

Junior commanders mucking up is part of life. Live with it!

This game delivers on all levels. Tweaking patches will continue to enhance what is already a great game, but it is already a classic of its type. You don't buy a tennis racket and complain you can't play golf with it.
User avatar
von Murrin
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:00 am
Location: That from which there is no escape.

Post by von Murrin »

Heh, good point.

I think the problem is that this is the first PTO game to see the light of day in years. That being the case, people's expectations were/are incredibly high, and everyone (including me) is trying to mash this particular square peg into their round holes (eh, I know it sounds really bad, but it makes my point. :D). If CAW was my idea of a perfect PTO game, I'd be a little disappointed, too. Until I got used to the game that is.

In short, everyone was starved, and we all wanted our perfect game. I know I speak for many here when I say that I was initially rather frustrated, but after giving it some time, UV has become a game I will likely play for the next 5-10 years.
I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
msvknight
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post by msvknight »

I understand what you mean. Although I raved about the CAW people, it was the people who claimed to have been ripped of by a pay for beta test scam who really stuck in my craw. This game is not bug free - surprise suprise, but it is very playable and that is far more than I have been able to say before.

I paid about $30.00 Aust more for this game than I ever have for a game, and I am completely satisfied. Why? Because I am entirely confident that this game will be completely supported and we KNOW that there will be patches. There are not too many gaming companies that you can safely say that about.

I just think that the poor game designers who have to read the bug threads to provide that support must get disheartened by some of the people there who are not reporting bugs, but having a general whinge because they don't like it. That's not a design flaw. That's a preference flaw.

I thought they needed some different support other than the skewed "totally loved it unconditionally" and the "totally hated it unconditionally" types of support. I would hate to think WITP didn't come out because one of the designers spat the dummy due to people venting their spleen on a forum site.
User avatar
von Murrin
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:00 am
Location: That from which there is no escape.

Post by von Murrin »

Ahhh...

In that case, well said.
I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
Rob Roberson
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:46 am

I have to be honest

Post by Rob Roberson »

This is easily the finest Pacific war simulation I have ever played. And I have played them all. (I'm old). I think a lot of the complaints are coming from people who are still stuck in the first turn omygod overwhelmed syndrome. The interface takes a bit getting use to. I now go through turns in a matter of minutes (the first time I played it took me an hour a turn). Things we dont understand we tend to bash...just my opinion.

Rob
Paul Dyer
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: New Zealand

Post by Paul Dyer »

Well said, Mr Knight. Be glad everyone that you don't have to pay for this in NZ$ (it will cost me about $145 all up - ouch), but I'll do it cheerfully for the above reasons.

Its easy to zero in on minor glitches. Fair enough, these need to be fixed, but remember how much the early versions of PACWAR got improved. Both Grigsby and Matrix give us every reason to expect that follow up will be top notch.

Instead of moaning, think for a momemt about the vision and energy needed to create the concept and get it this far. My spin is that there are an incredible number of factors ay play - the balance of sea vs air vs land power, subs etc. I'd say getting these right, in a game that is both historically accurate and fun to play, is a work of near genius. If the most we can complain about is that mines seem a little too potent of that some function could be done with a few less clicks then I reckon the thing is a success.

In terms of development, there is an obvious tradeoff between getting every single parameter just right and the complexity and challenge of the game. From where I sit the outcome looks darn good. I also wonder if it is actually possible to totally fine tune a game without exposing it to the ruthless scrutiny of the gaming community. Exclusively in house testing would either take prohibitively long or else limit us to pretty basic games. Those who want games of this calibre perfect from day 0ne are probably expecting the unachievable. Good luck in your quest for a crime free world or perpetual motion.

I remember somewhere that PACWAR had around 80,000 lines of code. God only knows (and perhaps Grigsby :D ) how many UV has.
"It is also possible that blondes prefer gentlemen"
msvknight
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post by msvknight »

Hear Hear
coach3play4
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2000 8:00 am
Location: usa

Post by coach3play4 »

A chime in here - in defense of Matrix. It seems to me that almost all the minor complaints I've had so far are in fact answered in the manual, and i just didnt see it. For example, i couln not get CV's to do anything - and thought something was wrong - until someone pointed out chapter and verse in the manual - and sure enough it works. Same for a compalint about antisub activity.

I still would like one scenario added - an AI hard wired (for major moves) historical re-creation. I realize this request is for a non-game - but it would be a useful addition. Of course I'm the type of player who used to take CAW and replay it over and over again at historical moves to make a case that the US would have lost at Midway about 75% of the time.
User avatar
stubby331
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

hear hear

Post by stubby331 »

Yup, seems a hell of a lot of answers to peoples questions & "bug" reports are in the manual, if people read it.

I just hope that Matrix dont rush into any patches and fool around too much with the mix. (apart from the real bugs of course).
In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)
User avatar
brisd
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: San Diego, CA

5 stars

Post by brisd »

Mr. Knight - great thread, thanks for putting in words my thoughts after reading the dozen threads saying "but I want to turn the carrier into the wind and lead the attack myself!":(
"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant
Basement Command
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Boise, ID

Post by Basement Command »

Yes, This is the game that was advertised, it runs well on my system, and is what I thought I was buying, which can be stated as either... an Operational level PTO game, or Pac War with a cleaner interface, reflecting the advances in technology since that classic was released. Ya'll did good 2by3/Matrix.:)
The only skills I have the patience to learn are those that have no practical application in real life.
User avatar
The Gnome
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 2:52 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post by The Gnome »

Hear Hear! As a programmer I sympathize!
User avatar
kaleun
Posts: 5144
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 10:57 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by kaleun »

:cool:
Yes this is the game I was expecting. The manual is thick and will take time to learn. The AI might not be that clever, that's what PBEM is for. Based on this game,
Can I preorder WPAC?
Gold star to matrix for this.
K
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Von_Frag
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 8:44 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Thank You Matrix

Post by Von_Frag »

While I think alot of us have complained about some aspect of the game at one point or another, as has already been said, it is the finest wargame to come out in sometime. I quit buying games because no one was producing wargames like this. I am totally addicted and play every chance I get ( you should see my yard :D ). Everytime my wife hears explicitives coming from the computer room she says "did you get blown up again?" with as much sympathy as she can muster.

Thanks Matrix, don't let our "suggestions" and critisizm's effect your fine work.

Von Frag
AlvinS
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: O'Fallon, Missouri
Contact:

Post by AlvinS »

I've stopped shopping for Computer Wargames off the shelf a long time ago. Nothing out there could come close to UV, or anything else that I have bought from matrix.

The manual with this game is good, but I have learned more from this forum than the manual could possibly cover. Its hard to match that anywhere else.


Great Job Matrix and 2by3! I look forward to WITP:)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

I have to say that I am still learning things about the game and I am on turn 153 of a very hard fought PBEM game. You can not appreciate the finer points of the game until you spend a lot of time playing it.


Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
Mark Ezra
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Jasmin Ranch, Acton CA

Post by Mark Ezra »

I'm not a big fan of operational games. Although a seasoned wargamer I just never seem to hang in there long enough to get the hang of the big Ops. In fact I passed the pre order discount! But I've got to PBEM buddies (SPWAW/CM) that wanted to try this out. Now all I can say is...WOW...what a fine Game Grigsby and Matrix have put together. It's simple to learn the basics but one must really study the manual to learn the true depth of the game. UV is a grog's dream and an action Junkie's utopia. I couldn't be more pleased. Well back to my coffee and the manual. Next week I start two PBEMs...
All Hail Marx and Lennon
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”