Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
DD696,
Your pic of the M4 & the French Renault, I think the M4 was a 76mm gunned version rather than the Firefly.
The M4 in canadian colours would be a Firefly.
Your pic of the M4 & the French Renault, I think the M4 was a 76mm gunned version rather than the Firefly.
The M4 in canadian colours would be a Firefly.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Yeah "Pucka" has a nice collection, and they are well looked after. There was a rather large private collection out in the back blocks of Narre Warren North but it was all broken up and sold off. Did you get to see the prototype Bushmasters that they blew-up as part of the testing? Really interesting stuff.
@ John Lansford That really shitsmeoff when they will not let you take pics.....seems to me they are trying to force you to buy postcards and books from the shop that is always attached to such places.
@ John Lansford That really shitsmeoff when they will not let you take pics.....seems to me they are trying to force you to buy postcards and books from the shop that is always attached to such places.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
ORIGINAL: Terminus
RAVER![&o][&o]
G'day T [;)]

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
ORIGINAL: Raverdave
Yeah "Pucka" has a nice collection, and they are well looked after. There was a rather large private collection out in the back blocks of Narre Warren North but it was all broken up and sold off. Did you get to see the prototype Bushmasters that they blew-up as part of the testing? Really interesting stuff.
@ John Lansford That really shitsmeoff when they will not let you take pics.....seems to me they are trying to force you to buy postcards and books from the shop that is always attached to such places.
Raver,
At least the Lee/Grant is now at Pucka, another worthwhile visit is the RAAOC museum at Bandiana (Nr Wodonga, 200m Nth of Melb), they have a lot of small arms and support vehicles. They only had complete ASLAAV's, but were tidying up for ANZAC Day when I last went.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Yup....been there too, but that was a long time ago ( 5 years or so?). Sounds like I need to get back there.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
According to their website, photography is allowed but flash is not. Looks like it would be interesting but it appears most of it is post-WWII AFV's. They don't provide much information as to what AFV's they have.ORIGINAL: John Lansford
There's a much smaller armored museum in Danville, Virginia, that has many rare vehicles in it and adding more all the time. They've got a Pzkw IV-J that was in the German, Finnish, Syrian and Israeli armies, and some APC's from the Soviet, British, German and US armies. They're all indoors and don't allow photography, but it's a real nice visit.
http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
ORIGINAL: Blackwatch_it
ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: m10bob
If ya' wanna see a King Tiger, got to the Patton museum at Ft Knox, near Louisville.........
http://www.generalpatton.org/index.asp
Yes, that's right. I forgot that the Patton museum is who has the King Tiger.
TOMLABEL
The Kampfgruppe Peiper King Tiger in La Gleize, Ardennes
![]()
Yeah, the King Tiger - meanest tankeater![X(]
-
John Lansford
- Posts: 2664
- Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Yeah, they allow photos, but all the AFV's are in a big warehouse with dim lighting, so if you don't have a flash you end up with super dark pictures. They've got a T-34-85, the Mk IV H I mentioned earlier (I recall the side skirts so it wasn't a J), some really old British and US WWI tanks, a lot of guns and artillery, and yes, mostly post-WWII stuff too.
-
mikemike
- Posts: 500
- Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:26 pm
- Location: a maze of twisty little passages, all different
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
ORIGINAL: DD696
According to their website, photography is allowed but flash is not.
The RAF Museum in Hendon had the same restriction when I was there in '87. They had fire detectors that were triggered by photoflashes (probably some kind of UV sensors).
DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
ORIGINAL: DD696
2
![]()
[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
I think the "little unknown" is a French R-35.
-F-
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

- Historiker
- Posts: 4742
- Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm
- Location: Deutschland
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
THis is indeed an Elefant.ORIGINAL: DD696
ORIGINAL: Terminus
ORIGINAL: DD696
Late US SPA
![]()
That's a German Ferdinand.
Wasn't this also called the Elefant? That just looked too new and in too good of shape to be one of the German AFV's. That's as good a find as the JagdTiger is.
Mostly its the same tank but the Ferdinand was the first version without any MG. As we see a frontal Driver MG, its an Elefant.
Terminus, you're wrong. The Ferdinand was first, then the Elefant...
I wanted to help identify the rest just to see that it was already done
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!
There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
ORIGINAL: DD696
A more modern German tank destroyer. What is it?
![]()
Kanonenjagdpanzer 90mm
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanonenjagdpanzer

RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
I got to shoot one of those in Graf in 1974, I think it was. I was on a range recon mission at one of the smaller ranges close to the main part of the kaserne when the range OIC, a German lieutenant, asked if I'd like to watch them shoot. After spending a few minutes in the tower with him, he asked if I'd like to fire a few rounds. "Hell, yes!" was my reply.
Well, we went over, climbed in, and after a couple of instructions, I got to fire three or four rounds at a silhouette target downrange. Somebody who knows help me here. As I remember, the trigger was foot activated (i.e., like an old floor-mounted dimmer switch?). Am I geeting senile, or is that how it was done? I remember it was VERY different than our M60A1s.
"Fun, fun fun, 'till daddy tool the T-Bird away."
Well, we went over, climbed in, and after a couple of instructions, I got to fire three or four rounds at a silhouette target downrange. Somebody who knows help me here. As I remember, the trigger was foot activated (i.e., like an old floor-mounted dimmer switch?). Am I geeting senile, or is that how it was done? I remember it was VERY different than our M60A1s.
"Fun, fun fun, 'till daddy tool the T-Bird away."
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
ORIGINAL: marky
![]()
Geez, Marky, I knew you were kinda young but take some vitamins or something! [:D]
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
- bobogoboom
- Posts: 3799
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm
- Location: Dallas
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
history channel[8|] just did an episode of tank overhauling on this vehicle. they just restored it.ORIGINAL: DD696
ORIGINAL: Terminus
ORIGINAL: DD696
Late US SPA
![]()
That's a German Ferdinand.
Wasn't this also called the Elefant? That just looked too new and in too good of shape to be one of the German AFV's. That's as good a find as the JagdTiger is.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
ORIGINAL: marky
ORIGINAL: DD696
2
![]()
[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
Now I KNOW this will sink a Japanese Battleship. I don't care how good their armor was.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley


- flaggelant
- Posts: 262
- Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:00 pm
- Location: Netherlands
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
that bomb's gonna way over 3 tons!?!
was that a single bomb load for a 4EB???
can't imagine anything getting up in the air with that thing inside/ attached [X(]
was that a single bomb load for a 4EB???
can't imagine anything getting up in the air with that thing inside/ attached [X(]
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Erm, you have heard of Grand Slam and Tallboy, right?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
The bomb, BTW, weighs 44,000 pounds and was an American weapon called the T-12. With the advent of nuclear weapons, it became obsolete.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.












