Need Computer Advice

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal
ORIGINAL: Gem35
No, I would assume one still has their liscensed CD-ROM.
A new OS such as Windows XP would cost an additional $100.

You can buy new win xp for 50$ from ebay.
It is not a smart idea to buy those on ebay.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by GaryChildress »

I have an original XP disk for a computer which is no longer any good. I wonder if I can use it on a different computer if it was installed on a computer to begin with. [&:]
User avatar
Zakhal
Posts: 1430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Gem35
It is not a smart idea to buy those on ebay.

I must disagree. They are just as good as the ones bought from stores - only cheaper. And paypal has automatic money paypack guarantee nowadays. As a buyer you cant loose. I have made over 20 purchaces from ebay just this spring and I have never had any problems.
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
I have an original XP disk for a computer which is no longer any good. I wonder if I can use it on a different computer if it was installed on a computer to begin with. [&:]

If its an oem-version then technically no. You need to buy a new OS.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by GaryChildress »

How do I tell if it's an OEM version? I bought it off the shelf. It didn't come with any computer. It's an upgrade version.
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal
ORIGINAL: Gem35
It is not a smart idea to buy those on ebay.

I must disagree. They are just as good as the ones bought from stores - only cheaper. And paypal has automatic money paypack guarantee nowadays. As a buyer you cant loose. I have made over 20 purchaces from ebay just this spring and I have never had any problems.
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
I have an original XP disk for a computer which is no longer any good. I wonder if I can use it on a different computer if it was installed on a computer to begin with. [&:]

If its an oem-version then technically no. You need to buy a new OS.
Now wait a second here, You can disagree all you want but ask officials at ebay if it's legal to do so.
eBay tries to monitor pirated software but they can't stop everyone.
Secondly if you have a genuine windows xp disc you are free to use that as long as you install it on one computer, oem or not.
Gary, you may use that disk in your future build if you so choose.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by GaryChildress »

Will XP work with the latest processors, etc? Or do I need to upgrade to Vista in order to take advantages of the latest technologies?
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Will XP work with the latest processors, etc? Or do I need to upgrade to Vista in order to take advantages of the latest technologies?
Xp works great, I am running that OS and will continue to do so.[:)]
I would like to add that in my previous post concerning your old XP disc, as long as you have the authentification code(it might be on a sticker on the back of your old PC) you are free to use it on any upgrades and builds you have.
Good luck to you Gary and if I can be any help, don't hesitate to ask, Sir.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by GaryChildress »

Awesome! Thanks Gem35! You've been a great help! [&o]
User avatar
06 Maestro
Posts: 3997
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:50 pm
Location: Nevada, USA

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: Gem35


I would like to add that in my previous post concerning your old XP disc, as long as you have the authentification code(it might be on a sticker on the back of your old PC) you are free to use it on any upgrades and builds you have.

I was not aware of that-I thought it was legally tied to the OEM equipment.
I happen to have an old unit that needs a total overhaul. I wonder how well Win98 or Mellinium would work with a modern processor and MB?
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

ORIGINAL: Gem35


I would like to add that in my previous post concerning your old XP disc, as long as you have the authentification code(it might be on a sticker on the back of your old PC) you are free to use it on any upgrades and builds you have.

I was not aware of that-I thought it was legally tied to the OEM equipment.
I happen to have an old unit that needs a total overhaul. I wonder how well Win98 or Mellinium would work with a modern processor and MB?
You are allowed to use that OS as long as it was purchased "on the level"
I would not personally use anything other than a version of Windows XP, especially if you are building or re-building.
Good for those who have Windows Vista 64-bit version working properly.
Anything other than 64 bit Vista is , I will lightly put it, dumb.
32 bit Vista is Xp in a Halloween costume.[;)]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
User avatar
Zakhal
Posts: 1430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Gem35
Now wait a second here, You can disagree all you want but ask officials at ebay if it's legal to do so. eBay tries to monitor pirated software but they can't stop everyone.

Since when did you think all software in ebay is pirated? Ive bought lots from there and have never received any "pirated" stuff. You sound like paranoid or somthing. If you buy a new wrapped windows xp from ebay im sure its just as genuine as the one bought from store. Hers an example:
windowx xp upgrade for with money paypack guarantee
link

Protections:
1. Returns: Seller accepts returns. 7 Days Money Back
2. Paypal - Up to $2,000 in buyer protection.

If you buy it and its pirated (missing the windows holodisk/sticker) you can report the seller to ebay and get your money back either by return or paypal. It wouldnt make any sense for anyone to sell it unlegal because they would automatically get caught.
Secondly if you have a genuine windows xp disc you are free to use that as long as you install it on one computer, oem or not.
Gary, you may use that disk in your future build if you so choose.

Oem-windows xp is locked to your motherboard. If you install it to a different mobo it ceases to work. Som have been lucky and got a new activation by calling microsoft and lying why their mobo was changed but it doesnt always work and its not legal. [:-]

If you want a windows that can be transfered to a new computer you need to buy a non-OEM retail version which costs quite a bit more:
Amazon.uk

Windows XP Home Edition SP2 OEM £54.98
Windows XP Home Edition SP2 £180.98

link

Also
What is the difference between Windows OEM and Retail?
Well you can read your EULA at the following location.
c:\Windows\System32\eula.txt.

OEM
-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation
-- must be installed on a "clean" drive
-- cannot be transferred to a new or different computer in the future
-- are not eligible for any free technical support from Microsoft
-- are cheaper because of the aforementioned limitations
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx
Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines. Please advise your customers of this licensing rule. If they request a "naked" PC and are planning to transfer an old OEM operating system license to the new machine—they will not have a legal license to run Windows on this new machine.

Retail
Retail doesn't have the same limitations and as listed below is transferable.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx
13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
User avatar
Zakhal
Posts: 1430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
How do I tell if it's an OEM version? I bought it off the shelf. It didn't come with any computer. It's an upgrade version.

If you bought it from a shelf then most likely its retail - especially if its an upgrade-version. I dont think they even sell OEM windows upgrades - windows upgrades are all retail.

I myself am planning to get a new computer in 2010 with the new windows7/DX11 and dualboot it with windows xp. My current xp is OEM though so I need to buy a new one. My lucky friend got a free xp pro retail version from work and I think Im gonna get that one. I can then use it forever as long as I want. Problem is it costs 400 euros [X(] as new (home ed 260), but if im lucky I might find a used one much cheaper from ebay.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Gem35 »

Oem-windows xp is locked to your motherboard. If you install it to a different mobo it ceases to work. Som have been lucky and got a new activation by calling microsoft and lying why their mobo was changed but it doesnt always work and its not legal.

Good grief the OP has a disk he may use on any computer he wishes. We don't need to start a "I am right and you are not" thread here.
Since when did you think all software in ebay is pirated? Ive bought lots from there and have never received any "pirated" stuff. You sound like paranoid or somthing. If you buy a new wrapped windows xp from ebay im sure its just as genuine as the one bought from store

As far as ebay goes, there are so many folks out there who are selling pirated software that the best thing to do is not buy these items from ebay.
So, in that case, sure, you can say I am paranoid, I call it being smart.[;)]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
User avatar
Zakhal
Posts: 1430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Gem35
Oem-windows xp is locked to your motherboard. If you install it to a different mobo it ceases to work. Som have been lucky and got a new activation by calling microsoft and lying why their mobo was changed but it doesnt always work and its not legal.

Good grief the OP has a disk he may use on any computer he wishes. We don't need to start a "I am right and you are not" thread here.

It doesnt matter what you think - its not a matter or right or wrong its simply a fact. If you go to a shop and look what it clearly says on OEM windows - it says that once its hardware locked into a computer you CANT transfer it to another computer. Its simple as that.

You may of course try but windows will stop working in 30 days unless its actived. And it wont activate if its an OEM version that has been used on another computer.
As far as ebay goes, there are so many folks out there who are selling pirated software that the best thing to do is not buy these items from ebay. So, in that case, sure, you can say I am paranoid, I call it being smart.[;)]

Well then we agree to disagree. :)
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal
ORIGINAL: Gem35
Oem-windows xp is locked to your motherboard. If you install it to a different mobo it ceases to work. Som have been lucky and got a new activation by calling microsoft and lying why their mobo was changed but it doesnt always work and its not legal.

Good grief the OP has a disk he may use on any computer he wishes. We don't need to start a "I am right and you are not" thread here.

It doesnt matter what you think - its not a matter or right or wrong its simply a fact. If you go to a shop and look what it clearly says on OEM windows - it says that once its hardware locked into a computer you CANT transfer it to another computer. Its simple as that.

You may of course try but windows will stop working in 30 days unless its actived. And it wont activate if its an OEM version that has been used on another computer.
As far as ebay goes, there are so many folks out there who are selling pirated software that the best thing to do is not buy these items from ebay. So, in that case, sure, you can say I am paranoid, I call it being smart.[;)]

Well then we agree to disagree. :)
Ok, I'll be the bigger man and say you are right about oem software, feel better now?[8|]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
User avatar
Zakhal
Posts: 1430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Gem35
Ok, I'll be the bigger man and say you are right about oem software, feel better now?[8|]

Yes. Considering this is a computer advicement thread - I dont want people to be misled to think that they can transfer them to new computers. Oh and dont be soo serious. [:'(]
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by GaryChildress »

OK. This is what I have on hand to put toward a new computer. I figure it might save me a little cost:

1. OS: Windows XP disk (NON OEM)
2. 500gb 7200rpm SATA HD
3. External DVD/CD burner
4. Wireless network adapter (I think. It may not be any good.)
5. Plenty of internal CD-ROM drives.
6. 19" Flatscreen Monitor

Things I know I will need:

1. Mother Board
2. CPU, fan, etc.
3. Graphics Card
4. Power Supply
5. Case
6. Sound Card
7. DOH! Amost forgot RAM

I would like the overall project not to exceed $800. EDIT: Well...better make that $700.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? [8D]


EDIT: Almost forgot sound card.
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by GaryChildress »

Oh. And one other thing. I think I would like the HD in a removable case so that I can play around a bit.

Other than that, what else do I need that is not listed above?
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Gem35 »


Asus P5B Solid board and has all the bells and whistles. Has on-board sound that is decent if you are not into the surround soud stuff.

Quad core Kentsfield 2.4 ghz. what can i say, one of the best cpu's on the market right now, tremendous workhorse for a few benjamins[;)]
Comes with it's own heatsink/fan

cheap cheap MSI 8400 GS I have the same card and it works great for any game you will need it for.

OCZ dual channel Platinum
I have the same set, works very well and again, it's cheap. You dont need more than 2 gb of ram right now. One thing to note when installing your RAM for the first time, you will need to load only one stick and set the voltage in BIOS to 2.1v in order for you to be able to boot up initially. BIOS may not be set to proper voltage.( more on this later)

Fortron Source 700w power supply
Simply one of the greatest power supplies on the market, good clean STABLE power output and again I use one in all of my PC builds.

SoundBlaster Xtreme Gamer Sound Card
If you don't want to use on-board sound on your motherboard this is the sound card to get, it does it all.

As far as computer cases, go to your local Frys and pick out an ANtec brand, they have plenty to choose from. Be sure it is ATX though. If you purchased a case online you will pay through the nose for shipping.

Here are plenty of choices for external enclosures It depends on certain connections you are looking for, e-sata, sata or usb. Some have one of the other or two of each of those three on average.
I like the AMS versions myself They have a cooling fan inside that helps dissapate the heat from the hard drive.

There are so many choices you can look at for your hardware but these I listed won't break your bank and are of the finest quality imho.

Totals around $510 plus another $91 if you choose that sound card and another $50 or so for the enclosure would put you around $675 or so shipped from Newegg.
If I were you I would use the on-board sound from your motherboard and use the sound card money for a case.
You can get a nice Antec case for around $100 at Frys.
You can go cheaper on the cpu but that is a heck-of-a deal on that quad core.[:)]

Good luck and have fun with your build, let me know if you need any help.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: Need Computer Advice

Post by Gem35 »

I would add that you really don't need that external enclosure unless you add a second hard drive and use it for extra storage.
I use one for all of my essential files/music and other "stuff" I don't want to lose or hate to have to re-install if for some reason I need to re-load windows.

As for the BIOS settings for your RAM and other stuff, I'd be glad to walk you through all of that when the time comes.
Don't worry, if you have some patience and common sense, it's a snap to build a PC.[:)]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”