bidding, 1.03 ?

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

bOrIuM
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:50 am

bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by bOrIuM »

Marshall told us he's working on an integrated system of bidding... Id like to know how it will works, like the one when can get or different like rules. I explain myself.

1- Will it be possible for the game host to limit the bid points, like 10 instead of 30 like now.
2- Will the game host will be able to use a "multiple bids", to use the same bid for 2 different countries, like bidding 15 to France and to Austria, or 1 for Spain and Turkey ?
3- Will it be programmed to, as an other thread spoke of, try to verify, if 2 players did bid the same amount, one can win another bid for another country ?
4- Finally, is it for 1.03 or later ?
User avatar
Jimmer
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by Jimmer »

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, but I have some comments:
 
#1  The bids should not be limited at all, and especially lower. It just gives France a bigger advantage.
 
#2  The purpose for having everybody bid a different amount for each nation is that it reduces the need for tie-breakers.
 
#3  Everybody can always win another bid for another country (after the one currently being checked), except when the bid for Turkey is analyzed (and then, there's only one player left).
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
User avatar
MarshallEllis
Posts: 5632
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:00 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by MarshallEllis »

ORIGINAL: bOrIuM

Marshall told us he's working on an integrated system of bidding... Id like to know how it will works, like the one when can get or different like rules. I explain myself.

1- Will it be possible for the game host to limit the bid points, like 10 instead of 30 like now.
2- Will the game host will be able to use a "multiple bids", to use the same bid for 2 different countries, like bidding 15 to France and to Austria, or 1 for Spain and Turkey ?
3- Will it be programmed to, as an other thread spoke of, try to verify, if 2 players did bid the same amount, one can win another bid for another country ?
4- Finally, is it for 1.03 or later ?

Borium:

1. No. I'm curious, why would you want this?
2. No. All bid values from one player must be unique.
3. If there is a duplicate bid from different players then it should resolve with 1d6.
4. Later than 1.03. Not sure when this arrive yet???



Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games


User avatar
DCWhitworth
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:20 am
Location: Norwich, England

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by DCWhitworth »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

ORIGINAL: bOrIuM

Marshall told us he's working on an integrated system of bidding... Id like to know how it will works, like the one when can get or different like rules. I explain myself.

1- Will it be possible for the game host to limit the bid points, like 10 instead of 30 like now.
2- Will the game host will be able to use a "multiple bids", to use the same bid for 2 different countries, like bidding 15 to France and to Austria, or 1 for Spain and Turkey ?
3- Will it be programmed to, as an other thread spoke of, try to verify, if 2 players did bid the same amount, one can win another bid for another country ?
4- Finally, is it for 1.03 or later ?

Borium:

1. No. I'm curious, why would you want this?
2. No. All bid values from one player must be unique.
3. If there is a duplicate bid from different players then it should resolve with 1d6.
4. Later than 1.03. Not sure when this arrive yet???

The answer to 1. is pretty simple I'd have thought. The bidding has been arbitrarily limited to 30 in EiANW, I can see why people might want to change this limit, or even remove it completely.
Regards
David
User avatar
Jimmer
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by Jimmer »

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth
The answer to 1. is pretty simple I'd have thought. The bidding has been arbitrarily limited to 30 in EiANW, I can see why people might want to change this limit, or even remove it completely.
Good point. I only responded to the "10" suggestion. I forgot that the bidding tool limited bids to 30 (an artificially low value). Legitimate bids for France by experienced players should easily top 50, though, so I want to make sure nobody gets it cheap (by bidding 50).
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
User avatar
MarshallEllis
Posts: 5632
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:00 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by MarshallEllis »

Oh! OK, I understand now.
I've actually rarely seen 50 point bids ??? Is it that common? I wouldn't do it.
 
 
 
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games


Soapy Frog
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:33 am

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by Soapy Frog »

I've seen higher.
KenClark
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:43 pm

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by KenClark »

GB can win if no-one else wins. Bidding a million for GB I'm sure has happened.

I have seen very different bidding strategies in different groups. My old group never bid much about 25 and my newer group has had bids in the 40s and 50s for the major countries.

Strangely, Turkey seems to go for no more than 3 most of the time. Most frequently 2 becuase people hate playing Spain so much.
NeverMan
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:52 am

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by NeverMan »

One reason I've never seen a 50 bid is because my old group's cap was always 40.
Thresh
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:19 am
Location: KCMO

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by Thresh »

I prefer a bid total, in that the sum of your bids cannot equal "X"...

YMMV,
Thresh
RayKinStL
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:49 pm

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by RayKinStL »

ORIGINAL: Thresh

I prefer a bid total, in that the sum of your bids cannot equal "X"...

YMMV,
Thresh

This is the best idea I have heard yet.
Thresh
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:19 am
Location: KCMO

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by Thresh »

Actually, that should read cannot be more than"X"

Last few games I played I believe we used was 60.

Todd
User avatar
Jimmer
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by Jimmer »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Oh! OK, I understand now.
I've actually rarely seen 50 point bids ??? Is it that common? I wouldn't do it.


It's not common, but neither are experienced players. It's a risk, too, of course. But, if you want to play France, ... :)
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
User avatar
MarshallEllis
Posts: 5632
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:00 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by MarshallEllis »

ORIGINAL: KenClark

GB can win if no-one else wins. Bidding a million for GB I'm sure has happened.

Perhaps the max is to limit this type of bidding???
BTW: Why do groups use a max bid?



Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games


NeverMan
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:52 am

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by NeverMan »

Why do groups use a max bid?

They really shouldn't have to but there's also no accounting for some people. It really just stops people from playing with the attitude that "this game will never end so I'm going to bid for whatever country I want to play and get that country".

At least, that's my experience. It also keeps the VP bidding within a "winable" range.
User avatar
DCWhitworth
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:20 am
Location: Norwich, England

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by DCWhitworth »

I must admit I'd be tempted to do that. To me the enjoyment is in playing the game rather than winning so I'd be tempted to bid a silly amount to get the country I want to play.
Regards
David
User avatar
Murat
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: South Carolina

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by Murat »

Since you can enter bids manually I do not see why a host (the person entering the bids) cannot just state a limit and disallow any bids that exceed it.
AresMars
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:30 pm

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by AresMars »

People are lazy and like technology to solve everything.....<insert sarcasm here>
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
NeverMan
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:52 am

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: Murat

Since you can enter bids manually I do not see why a host (the person entering the bids) cannot just state a limit and disallow any bids that exceed it.

Shouldn't the goal of a PC game be simplifying "manual" tasks and make them more "automatic"? If not, why are we all bothering at all? Why not just play PBEM with Cyberboard or VASSAL?
User avatar
MarshallEllis
Posts: 5632
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:00 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Post by MarshallEllis »

ORIGINAL: Murat

Since you can enter bids manually I do not see why a host (the person entering the bids) cannot just state a limit and disallow any bids that exceed it.

That's not a bad idea.
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games


Post Reply

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”