Bombardment bug?

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: Tankerace

shaade
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:46 am
Location: Toronto

Bombardment bug?

Post by shaade »

Great game and great patch!

However, I just noticed a problem with a bombardment mission which I cannot explain. I've sent a surface fleet to Gili Gili to bombard (retirement allowed, react to enemy). The fleet performed its mission but after that it did NOT retreat, and therefore it was torpetoed by japanase LBA.

I reloaded and sent it again to GG, but this time with no bombardment mission. It went there and then returned without any problems.

Therefore the distance doesn't seem to cause the above mentioned problem. Any ideas? Maybe a dreaded 'bug'?
Huskalator
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu May 16, 2002 9:55 pm
Location: Kansas

Post by Huskalator »

I noticed the same thing. I sent a bombardment TF from Rabual to Port Moreby and it just sat there at its destination. The first time this happended I figured I had forgotten to set the TF to "retirement". But then I tried it again and got the same results.

Is this a bug or was this done on purpose?
User avatar
FirstPappy
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: NY, USA

Post by FirstPappy »

More people are having the same problems. There are similar posts in the bug forum.
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440
User avatar
Didz
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:00 am
Location: UK

Post by Didz »

Looks like the pendulum has swung to the other extreme.

In V1.0 Bombardment Groups enjoyed almost total immunity from air attack due to the retirement option and turn phasing now they have almost no immunity.

Sounds like divine justice to me;)
Didz
Fortis balore et armis
User avatar
jhdeerslayer
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 3:24 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Ditto. I have seen the same issue in 1.10. Is this intentional? Seems odd if it is.
User avatar
Didz
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:00 am
Location: UK

Post by Didz »

Originally posted by Deerslayer
Ditto. I have seen the same issue in 1.10. Is this intentional? Seems odd if it is.
I wonder if someone has adjusted the Bombardment missions so that they can only complete 12 hours movement under cover of darkness. That would be a sensible change but I didn't think there were any plans to do it.
Didz
Fortis balore et armis
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Post by Sonny »

Originally posted by Didz


I wonder if someone has adjusted the Bombardment missions so that they can only complete 12 hours movement under cover of darkness. That would be a sensible change but I didn't think there were any plans to do it.
Well if the did adjust it they should also adjust where the 12 hour run starts (and ends) too.:D Without that I'd prefer to have it the old way.
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

Comments...

Post by Erik Rutins »

As far as I know, this was completely unintentional and must have appeared in the last day's build, but was not caught by testing. I've duplicated it here with 1.10 as have some testers, so we'll do our best to get this addressed quickly. Hopefully, it will be a simple fix.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Wilson ESQ
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 7:48 pm
Location: Buffalo now East TN

Re: Comments...

Post by Wilson ESQ »

Originally posted by Erik Rutins
As far as I know, this was completely unintentional and must have appeared in the last day's build, but was not caught by testing. I've duplicated it here with 1.10 as have some testers, so we'll do our best to get this addressed quickly. Hopefully, it will be a simple fix.

Regards,

- Erik
Are these problems only for saved games (pre-1.10 patch games)? Do we know yet? Thanks for all your work. Great Game:)
"A foolish man is put in a flutter by every word."
Heraclitus
elmo3
Posts: 5797
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:00 am

Re: Re: Comments...

Post by elmo3 »

Originally posted by Wilson ESQ


Are these problems only for saved games (pre-1.10 patch games)? Do we know yet? Thanks for all your work. Great Game:)
Nope. I started a new game with 1.10 and had the problem. It strikes me as a game breaker so hopefully Mike can spot the problem and we can get a qucik 1.11 release.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
sitkis
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:00 am

Post by sitkis »

Probably related. Transport TFs, with retire, used to go to their target port, unload, then return to the home port. After the patch they do not unload unless told and do not return to home unless told. This just adds a bunch of busy work and results in lots of "dead" time for convoys that are almost empty. At the start of a day they may have only 100 supplies to unload but must wait for you to tell them the next day before they set sail. Liked it the other way better.

The CS convoys kinda work, but they seem to switch from load to unload every day. In other words if you check on the CS convoys they say "idle", but if you leave them alone you get an unloading message during the execution phase. They switch back to idle at the end of the turn, but you can see that supplies were unloaded. However, they also never seem to finish unloading and then set sail the same day; for some reason a move order only gets implimented if it is all the TF is planning on doing the start of each day.
Wilson ESQ
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 7:48 pm
Location: Buffalo now East TN

Re: Re: Re: Comments...

Post by Wilson ESQ »

Originally posted by elmo3


Nope. I started a new game with 1.10 and had the problem. It strikes me as a game breaker so hopefully Mike can spot the problem and we can get a qucik 1.11 release.
I think you're right about this being a game breaker! I lost a bunch of ships at the 'Canal before I realized the problem. And if the transports are having the same problem, it could be a bookkeeping nightmare as well. I think I'll wait for the fix, before I play again.
"A foolish man is put in a flutter by every word."
Heraclitus
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Lunga was just hit by Yamato et. al., and stayed around for daylight too, where I hammered it with LBA. I think it is doing it to both sides.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
jhdeerslayer
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 3:24 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Definitely both sides in my experience. I've never seen the Jap AI hang out at Lunga after a bombardment until I went to 1.1. Hope this is a quick fix as it does affect game play a tad bit with no work around like some of the other patched issues out there.
Wilson ESQ
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 7:48 pm
Location: Buffalo now East TN

Post by Wilson ESQ »

Originally posted by Deerslayer
Definitely both sides in my experience. I've never seen the Jap AI hang out at Lunga after a bombardment until I went to 1.1. Hope this is a quick fix as it does affect game play a tad bit with no work around like some of the other patched issues out there.
Anybody hear about any fixes for this? I need my UV fix tonight;)
"A foolish man is put in a flutter by every word."
Heraclitus
User avatar
jhdeerslayer
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 3:24 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Maybe a 1.11 patch is coming our way soon... I feel guilty jumping on the AI with my AG's when it does this as it normally would not be an opportunity you'd get and I'll have to hold off on bombardment on my side until this is fixed. Not sure what else to do.
User avatar
Didz
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:00 am
Location: UK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Comments...

Post by Didz »

Originally posted by Wilson ESQ


I think you're right about this being a game breaker! I lost a bunch of ships at the 'Canal before I realized the problem.
Personally I don't see this as any more of a problem than the 1.0 scenario where bombardment groups were allowed total immunity from air attack.

At least under the 1.1 regime proper precautions now have to be taken to ensure that the LBA at the target base is neutralised before the bombardment mission goes in and that the Bombardment TF has an adequate LRCAP over it during extraction.

I agree that neither situation is perfect but at least under the 1.1 scenario I am not forced to use 'gamey' tactic's like laying mines or posting submarines in the middle of the Solomon Sea to try and stop the AI doing it.
Didz
Fortis balore et armis
Wilson ESQ
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 7:48 pm
Location: Buffalo now East TN

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Comments...

Post by Wilson ESQ »

Originally posted by Didz


Personally I don't see this as any more of a problem than the 1.0 scenario where bombardment groups were allowed total immunity from air attack.

At least under the 1.1 regime proper precautions now have to be taken to ensure that the LBA at the target base is neutralised before the bombardment mission goes in and that the Bombardment TF has an adequate LRCAP over it during extraction.

I agree that neither situation is perfect but at least under the 1.1 scenario I am not forced to use 'gamey' tactic's like laying mines or posting submarines in the middle of the Solomon Sea to try and stop the AI doing it.
This is a question of a programing bug, not a historical one. I have read a great deal in this area and agree with the designers of this game. They 've done their homework. The titles of the best books were mentioned in an earlier thread. Esp see Frank's book on the G'Canal. The night naval actions off G'Canal would never have taken place if what you say is true. Sorry, Didz. I hope we get our fix soon.
Wilson ESQ:)
"A foolish man is put in a flutter by every word."
Heraclitus
User avatar
brisd
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Tokyo Express happened

Post by brisd »

Deal with it - I don't understand why we are even discussing it. The way the designers made the original design of fast moving TF's sailing in, dispensing death and then escaping into the night is right on everything I have read on the subject. The game is broke in its version 1.10 state. :(
"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant
User avatar
Caltone
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

Post by Caltone »

This is a huge problem IMHO. Any news on a fix? It afects transport TF's as well.
"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”