Understanding history - Wargames help!

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Post Reply
User avatar
BossGnome
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 12:13 am
Location: Canada

Understanding history - Wargames help!

Post by BossGnome »

Hi,

As a Québecois, I never got taught very much of the American Civil War in school. For us it was always tales of the Coureurs des Bois, the War of Conquest and the early explorers like Champlain. However, I am delighted to say that after only a week of playing this game (and subsequently doing a little research on some of the major battles), I find my general knowledge of the ACW greatly improved.

Before playing this game, I couldn't even point out Kentucky on a map. I had no idea where Petersburg or Richmond were, and I certainly didn't understand the geographic importance of the Mississippi. I didn't know the chronology of the war, and most of my meager knowledge of it was based on "Les Tuniques Bleues" (an excellent Belgian comic book about the ACW - I believe they are translated in english as well), which I read as a kid. I remember watching Gods and Generals a few years back, and I remember not understanding a whole lot. I just saw the movie again, and it was amazing, simply in terms of geography, how much more I understood than before.

I am currently a history student in university, and I have said many times before that a lot of my knowledge of history comes directly or indirectly from playing wargames. Once again, this has proven to be true. I just hope the game designers realize how, even above a fun gaming experience, well-made wargames such as this can help foster and develop interest in history.
"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
User avatar
Bo Rearguard
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Basement of the Alamo

RE: Understanding history - Wargames help!

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Years of Napoleonic and 20th Century war gaming taught this American his European, North African and Pacific geography. As for Canada I'm fairly certain if no one down here can locate Winnipeg or Saskatoon on a map it's probably because no pitched battles have ever been fought near there. (that I know of)

"Les Tuniques Bleues" and the Creole heritage of a lot of Southern generals is part of why Ageod's American Civil War game is fairly popular in France....that and the game's designers are French. [;)]
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
John Neal
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:21 pm

RE: Understanding history - Wargames help!

Post by John Neal »

this point of history isn't mentioned much in the states: History of Toronto
...
On 27 April 1813, the US Lake Ontario squadron from Sackett's Harbour disgorged a large military force west of the settlement (near today's Dowling Avenue in Parkdale). Supported by the guns of the United States Navy, the enemy army pushed the outnumbered defenders eastwards to Fort York. The six-hour battle ended when the British blew up the fort's gunpowder magazine and retreated to Kingston. After the battle, in which casualties numbered 320 on the American side and 157 on the British, US forces occupied York for six days. Despite American agreement in the capitulation terms to respect private property and to allow the civil government to continue functioning without hindrance, the enemy robbed homes and torched the governor's home and parliament buildings. (Those acts led to the retaliatory burning of the White House, Congress, and other public buildings when British forces captured Washington in 1814.)...
Frido1207
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:44 am
Location: Lower Saxony, Germany

RE: Understanding history - Wargames help!

Post by Frido1207 »

I can only second that experience. As i´m an european, the ACW was never a theme in school & not even on universities. You almost can´t buy a serious book about the ACW in germany that is translated into german. As i am a little interessted in history, i read McPherson´s Battle Cry of Freedom" in english. That was quite a fight for me (as you can see on my bad english), but worth the effort.
What I was never able to figure out, was how the battles in the east & the west were connected. Playing WBTS helps me a lot, trying to understand these connections a bit.
So now i can argue, i´m just playing wargames, to deepen my "historical studies".  Now i only need someone, who will believe me. [:D]
User avatar
Bo Rearguard
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Basement of the Alamo

RE: Understanding history - Wargames help!

Post by Bo Rearguard »

The ACW stands in a transitional period in military history. It certainly wasn't the largest war in the 19th century. Those were Napoleon's. However it's interesting to note the struggle started with so many attempting to imitate Napoleon and all the grandeur and panoply that went with his name (Zouaves and the like) and it ended four years later with dark portends of the coming future. Trenches, barbed wire, prison camps and total war.

It is interesting to note General von Moltke's possibly apocryphal comment when asked why Prussia was sending no military observers to the Union or the Confederacy. "What can be learned from a clash of armed mobs?" As galling as that sounds to American ears, it does accurately describe the early battles.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
wargamer123
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:05 am

RE: Understanding history - Wargames help!

Post by wargamer123 »

Gnome,

I was never a huge fan of either Napoleonic or ACW. Although I played a couple of games and it did open my eyes to this little known subjects. I think the first ACW game I bought was back in '91 No Greater Glory? Not sure but it wasn't that good but for the time I think the only scale game in comparison with any of these modern ones.
The truth is this, you have to admit between 1820 and 1914 there wasn't really a conflict of this sort of scale, carnage and intensity! As far as I recollect in the Western World... Those movies you watch would be very accurate portraying the feelings of people involved. I love Civil War Movies, all of them... I loved Red Badge of Courage, you should try reading that, tiny pup book you can finish in couple hours. There is something about the ACW, that the average man can indentify with. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I think because so many average men took up arms

WW1 and WW2 and all the small conflicts are a little bit different. Either too massive or a different feel altogether. The Line between wrong and right, the line between Brother and Brother is not so defined in this particular war...

Welcome to the subject, I myself am still considering the game.. and love to learn about history through wargames, historical wargames...it makes it fun as you feel part of it!

P.S. I have been to Quebec and have a G/F who is French and was a member of the Oui Party.. SO I know you guys would if you could like to preserve your French Culture and get rid of the feeling of being turned English! Absorbed by their Culture
John Neal
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:21 pm

RE: Understanding history - Wargames help!

Post by John Neal »

ORIGINAL: th1207... i read McPherson´s Battle Cry of Freedom" in english. That was quite a fight for me (as you can see on my bad english), but worth the effort....

Viel besser als meine schlechtish Deutsche!
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”