Taking New Orleans

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Post Reply
coach3play4
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2000 8:00 am
Location: usa

Taking New Orleans

Post by coach3play4 »

I cant seem to take New orleans. I know how to take the forts - - I can contol the river, and I can get a good size army in the forts after I capture them. But no matter what - I can not get initive nor move any units to NO hex. Is it Banks - should I invade from DC? what do you do (my game is against the AI)
heroldje
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:38 pm

RE: Taking New Orleans

Post by heroldje »

always invade from either fort monroe or DC.  dont waste a AC down there.  What I do is take the forts (shoudl be relatively painless) and then amphib land in N.O. with 4-5 infantry.  That should do it.  Side note:  I never bother anymore.  Its not worth the investment of time and troops.  Just take one of the forts, place guns, and focus elsewhere. 
User avatar
Bo Rearguard
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Basement of the Alamo

RE: Taking New Orleans

Post by Bo Rearguard »

I've yet to take New Orleans from the south. I usually just make it the ultimate goal of the march down the Mississippi. Gotta have something to aim for. Might as well be Cajun cuisine. [8D]
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
herwin
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 9:20 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

RE: Taking New Orleans

Post by herwin »

I maintain an AC in Baltimore and invade from there. NO is not heavily held by the AI, and the surprise helps. You might want to put mounted infantry in some of the forts to recon the CSA forces before you invade.

The AI is overly careful choosing its invasion sites.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
John Neal
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:21 pm

RE: Taking New Orleans

Post by John Neal »

If your opponent puts a fortress in Baton Rouge, with a bunch of heavy Artillery, New Orleans is tough to take.
Even if you can get in, you'll be out of supply untill you take out the guns in baton rouge.. (I found that out the hard way)
herwin
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 9:20 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

RE: Taking New Orleans

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: John Neal

If your opponent puts a fortress in Baton Rouge, with a bunch of heavy Artillery, New Orleans is tough to take.
Even if you can get in, you'll be out of supply untill you take out the guns in baton rouge.. (I found that out the hard way)

Come again? Baton Rouge is upriver.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
JAMiAM
Posts: 6127
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:35 am

RE: Taking New Orleans

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: herwin

ORIGINAL: John Neal

If your opponent puts a fortress in Baton Rouge, with a bunch of heavy Artillery, New Orleans is tough to take.
Even if you can get in, you'll be out of supply untill you take out the guns in baton rouge.. (I found that out the hard way)

Come again? Baton Rouge is upriver.
It shares a border with the same river region that New Orleans is invaded from. Thus, Op Fire from Baton Rouge can hit units invading New Orleans. There's talk about fixing this in the next update so that it doesn't.
herwin
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 9:20 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

RE: Taking New Orleans

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

ORIGINAL: herwin

ORIGINAL: John Neal

If your opponent puts a fortress in Baton Rouge, with a bunch of heavy Artillery, New Orleans is tough to take.
Even if you can get in, you'll be out of supply untill you take out the guns in baton rouge.. (I found that out the hard way)

Come again? Baton Rouge is upriver.
It shares a border with the same river region that New Orleans is invaded from. Thus, Op Fire from Baton Rouge can hit units invading New Orleans. There's talk about fixing this in the next update so that it doesn't.

Oh, wonderful! Such a beautiful FUBAR.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”