The Turning Point: floydg (A) & Coach Z (J) -- Luganville liberated

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
n01487477
Posts: 4764
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:00 am

RE: August 13, 1942

Post by n01487477 »

Floyd,
just interested in Allied planes and upgrades, as you know I never play Allies ..
So are you guys playing with PDU on?

I think the P40B upgrades to the E "Warhawk" variant, which has a higher off map build rate 40 compared to 10 for the "B"... why didn't you upgrade or are you waiting for the P-38G or P40N?

Just interested in your choices ...

[edit]Also if you have any other units with P40B's, why not upgrade/down them and then get the AVG back to strength ...

---Damian---

floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

RE: August 13, 1942

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Floyd,
just interested in Allied planes and upgrades, as you know I never play Allies ..
So are you guys playing with PDU on?

I think the P40B upgrades to the E "Warhawk" variant, which has a higher off map build rate 40 compared to 10 for the "B"... why didn't you upgrade or are you waiting for the P-38G or P40N?

Just interested in your choices ...

[edit]Also if you have any other units with P40B's, why not upgrade/down them and then get the AVG back to strength ...

---Damian---


Yes, we have PDU on.

The AVG needs 72 planes to upgrade and my P-40E pool is empty as well. I have 5 squadrons using P-40E's for a total of 85 planes, but to get these to other planes, it would be quite a few more (three of them are also 72-ers and other two 24-ers) -- I do have 99 P-36A's in the pool, but it just doesn't seem right to downgrade to them..

I suppose the P-38G's will start rolling out in October, so only a month and a half to wait.

Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: August 13, 1942

Post by ny59giants »

If you can divide AVG into 3 x 24 plane squadrons, you can upgrade each one separately. I've done this before. 
[center]Image[/center]
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

RE: August 13, 1942

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

If you can divide AVG into 3 x 24 plane squadrons, you can upgrade each one separately. I've done this before. 

Ah, didn't realize I could do that. I suppose I could try some completely unrealistic switching around of planes now... Thanks!
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 14, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 14, 1942

Highlights: Efate invaded
  • At Wake Island, the CA Louisville hits a mine and must return to Midway.
  • At Efate, three American PT boats encounter a Japanese SC TF of 2xDD and 2xPG. Two PT boats are sunk, but the DD Matsukaze takes a torpedo hit and three shell hits, the PG Chiyo Maru takes a torpedo and the DD Hato takes two shell hits. Allied LBA get a bomb hit on the AP Kuraido Maru.
  • Four DD's bombard Akyab and do slight damage.
  • Japanese troops unload at Efate. Some transports and escorts take coastal gun hits.
  • Japanese bomb Changsha and Broome, doing moderate damage to both bases.
  • North of Koumac, 6 Avenger attack and put three bomb hits on the CL Naka. And then later, 5 return to get another bomb hit.
  • 17 Anns attack PT boats at La Foa and sink the PT PT-125.
  • 23xB26-B bomb Adak Island and do slight damage.
  • South of Efate, Betty's from Luganville put a torpedo into two AK's bringing supplied to Efate.
  • Japanese attack south of Darwin and force the Australian infantry division to retreat south. The other Allied troops remain.
  • Bombay expands the port to level 8 and Karachi expands the port to level 7.

Analysis: I was right about the invasion of Efate. Didn't think he was coming in with that much, but since he took so many disruptions from unloading, I think I'll gamble a deliberate attack.
I'm fast running out of PT boats. I wonder what the trigger is to be allowed to create new ones...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 15, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 15, 1942

Highlights: Lots of action at Efate
  • Japanese troops continue to unload at Efate. Some costal gun hits are reported on the transports and escorts.
  • At night, the PT PT-119 takes on the CL Katori and the PG Kamitsu Maru. The PG pummels the PT boat and sinks it. Then the Japanese ships go after some transports unloading supply and heavily damage the AK West Nilus. During the day, the DD Hato and PG Hakkai Maru ravage the AK Ernest Meyer with 11 shell hits and one torpedo hit.
  • At Koumac, four American MSW encounters the AK Bichu Maru and put three shells into it. They then retitre to sweep some defensive mines outside the port area.
  • Just north of Efate, the SS Porpoise puts a torpedo into the AP Nachisan Maru, which was loaded with troops. Later, a search plane puts a bomb into the sub.
  • The Japanese bomb Ichang. They are met by four Chinese fighters, which are shredded by the Oscar's, Tony's and Tojo's. Moderate damage is done to the base.
  • Broome is bombed by 70 bombers and they rack up more damage to the base.
  • Americans bomb Wake and do minor damage.
  • Allied bombers from Efate put one bomb in the AP Huso Maru.
  • Japanese carrier planes from carriers north of Efate go after the transports at Efate and score 6 bomb hits on the AK Nabesna, which later sinks.
  • 16 Ann's attack a PT boat at La Foa and sink it.
  • Japanese carrier planes bomb Broome and do slight damage, but the CAP is able to shoot down 2 Val and 3 Kate.
  • 35 B-26B's bomb Adak Island, but this time there are 19 Zero's on CAP and they shoot down 5 P-40E escort and 4 bombers. The escorts only shoot down 2 Zero's and the bombers do superficial damage.
  • Betty's from Luganville attack a transport TF at Noumea and put three torpedoes into the AK Ohioan, which later sinks; and two into the AK Nevadan. A second wave puts a torpedo in the DMS Hovey.
  • South of Darwin, the Japanese attack and the defenders retreat south.
  • Japanese attack at Yenen. They reduce some of the fortifications, but still cannot make headway, taking 2300 casualties to only 473 Chinese.
  • Americans at Efate attack the invading troops. The Japanese do not budge from the beaches and the Americans take over 500 casualties to under 100 Japanese.
  • NW of Canton, the Chinese attack, but the attack fails.
  • Chinese attack at Pakhoi and reduce the fortifications, but the Japanese defenders still hold the city.

Analysis: Things at Efate are dicey. I say I have about a 30% chance of holding it. I moved in some TBF to see if they can mess up some of his transports. My transport TF was decimated and it doesn't look like I got much (if any) supply in. I made a 1-on-1 attack, but lost more than he did. Now I need to rest, as the disruption is too high now.
I'm hoping for some victory in China to cheer me up.
I did get a dozen new PT boats at Noumea, so I hope it can increase Coach Z's headaches.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 16, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 16, 1942

Highlights: AVG decimated over Ichang
  • More Japanese troops unload at Efate. Some coastal guns report hits on transports.
  • At Koumac, 6 American PT boats encounter the CS Mizuho, two DD and a PG. All Japanese take some hits, the DD Sanae is sunk and the PG Tatsumiya Maru is on fire. The PT-81 is sunk. Ann's later bomb and strafe these PT boats and do a bit of damage to the PT-79 and sinks the PT-78 with a bomb.
  • Another light bombadment of Akyab is made by four DD and slight damage is reported on the Japanese.
  • Over Ichang, 17 Oscar, 37 Tojo and 22 Tony escort 58 Lily. They are met by 18 P-40B's from the AVG. The AVG is decimated, losing all of their planes and only shooting down 4 Japanese. The base takes moderate damage.
  • Softening-up raids are made by the Japanese over Efate and Broome; while the Allies perform the same over Akyab.
  • At Adak Island, a Japanese transport TF is located some B-26B attack. The large Zero CAP deters most of the bombers, but some do make it through and put four bombs into the AK Kurogane Maru.
  • Betty's from Luganville put two torpedoes into the AK Montanan and one in the AK Louisianan at Noumea.
  • Kate's from a Japanese CVL/CVE TF attack the AK Ernest Meyer east of Efate and sink it.
  • Japanese attack at Canton, but the Chinese do not budge. The Japanese take over 1000 casualties to just over 100 Chinese.
  • Chinese attack again at Pakhoi, reducing the fortifications again, but the defending Japanese still hold the city.

Analysis: The AVG lost all but 5 planes (the ones that didn't fly). [X(] Holy smokes!!! It was a bloodbath. Now I really need to do some aircraft swapping. I think I'll downgrade some P40E to P36 and then the AVG gets the P40E's. I guess the AVG was due for a drubbing, and they got it.
Elsewhere, I make progress in China, but Efate does not look good.

Since I don't put in enough pictures and maps, here is one of where I am making progress in China:
[center]Image[/center]

I have him against the wall at Pakhoi and not in great shape by Canton.
NW of Canton have a lot of troops and Canton is not so heavy, but they're holding their own there. NE of Canton I have two Corps - one is moving to Canton and one east of Canton to block off relief. I also have a BF at Wuchow moving to Nanning so I can base some planes there ot annoy his shipping a little.
One question: if I have troops in Canton, can he get "automatic" supply movement to the troops NW of Canton?
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 17, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 17, 1942

Highlights: Mixed results in China; Allies hold in Broome and Efate
  • Still more Japanese troops unload at Efate. Coastal guns report some hits on transports. In a series of three night-time naval engagements, six PT boats go after escorts and sink the DD Asagumo, set the DD Usugumo on fire and score hits on the other DD and the CS Nisshin. Four PT boats are sunk, however.
  • West of Adak Island, the SS Albacore scores a torpedo hit on the DD Minegumo, which is part of a SCTF including the CL Yubari and 3 other DD.
  • Broome is bombarded by 3xCA, CL and 7xDD. Moderate damage is done to the facilities and 300 casualties are reported. 72 Bombers also soften up the defenders. The Japanese attack reduces some of the fortifications to rubble and the defenders take almost 1400 casualties to just over 900 Japanese.
  • PT PT-76 hits a mine at Koumac and sinks.
  • 16 Betty, escorted by 18 Zero bomb the port at Noumea. 3 Wildcat and 1 P40-E are downed as are 1 Zero and 6 Betty. The remaining Betty's do no damage.
  • Japanese bombers from Luganville soften up the defenders at Efate. The Japanese attack is a failure and the Japanese take over 800 casualties to under 400 Allies.
  • Japanese carrier planes from carriers East of Efate hit the AK West Nilus and AK West Shipper trying to escape to Suva. The transports are pummeled with bombs and sink.
  • Allied LBA from Efate put a bomb in the PG Akitsu Maru at Luganville, but at a cost of 2 A-20B's.
  • At Koumac, the CS Mizuho, DD Karukaya and PG Tatsumiya Maru take on three PT boats and sink two.
  • Japanese attack at Ichang and in very heavy fighting, the Chinese hold. Japanese take over 3300 casualties and Chinese take just under 1200.
  • East of Lanchow, the Chinese attack two small Japanese cavalry units and force them to retreat.
  • The Chinese attack again at Pakhoi, but the momentum does not continue and the Japanese hold.
  • Northwest of Ichang, a Japanese unit attacks some Chinese again trying to relieve the siege of Ichang and force the Chinese to again retreat.
  • Spies report Seoul expands the airfield to level 4 and Hong Kong expands the port to level 7.

Analysis: I lost 7 PT boats today and only took down one DD. I was hoping for better. I'll have to lay low a little bit and save the PT boats for when I make a move on Koumac.
Looks like he's trying to sneak some small carriers east from Luganville out towards Suva. Most of my ships are not in that area, but I'll pull others back even more so they're out of Kate range.
And it appears that he's reinforcing Akyab, so I'll sneak in some DD's to mess with the transports.
I pulled the AVG back to India to see what I can do to rebuild them. The problem with moving them to P-40E's is that I lose two hexes of range that I had with the P-40B and that makes a difference. [&:]

Here is how things look in Burma:
Image
Akyab: troops moving in (about 40 miles to go), with 4xDD just outside, ready to take on his transports.
Myitkyina: troops starting to move in, but I staggered it too much, so I'll probably get bumped out. I also have troops coming south to cut off the supply line two hexes west. Moving through the jungle is so slow...
SW of Akyab is a Japanese transport TF that accidentally unloaded some troops -- well, I'm fairly sure he didn't want them there...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
User avatar
n01487477
Posts: 4764
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:00 am

RE: August 17, 1942

Post by n01487477 »

SW of Akyab, always seems to be a point where troops offload, happened on AB map with BB1.4 and stock... haven;t had the chance to haphazardly "test it" on the RHS map(Nemo mod) yet ... I'm sure Michael would like it though!

Wouldn't worry too much about the range, looks like you get some climb advantage anyway & this should be a stop gap until the P-38G Lightning, I would guess.

Lastly, I know you steer away from maps, but I'd like to see what is going on down in the Sth Pac ... Seems like a titanic battle, much like the original Guadalcanal campaign.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

RE: August 17, 1942

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

SW of Akyab, always seems to be a point where troops offload, happened on AB map with BB1.4 and stock... haven;t had the chance to haphazardly "test it" on the RHS map(Nemo mod) yet ... I'm sure Michael would like it though!

It's happened to him a few times this game. One was south of Guadalcanal. It really burns him up when it happens, since I always point out that he has successfully invaded nothing... [:D]

Wouldn't worry too much about the range, looks like you get some climb advantage anyway & this should be a stop gap until the P-38G Lightning, I would guess.
Given the slow replacement rate on the B's, I'll try to go to the E's. I have a group of 24 E's I will downgrade and then split up the AVG and take those E's. I'll keep one section on B's, which I should be able to fill out in a month or so...

Lastly, I know you steer away from maps, but I'd like to see what is going on down in the Sth Pac ... Seems like a titanic battle, much like the original Guadalcanal campaign.

I don't steer away, just lazy. But here is a map of the area of action:
Image
A = one transport TF with a Cavalry Div, one transport TF with Americal Div, one transport TF with aircraft and small BF, one transport TF with a coastal AA rgt. I'll move the first two to Koumac and the second two to Noumea. The one with the aircraft and small BF will head up there now so I have some fighters to cover the invasion of Koumac (the aircraft are two squads of F4F-4's).
B = DD's and APD's to escort the transports
C = Japanese CVL/CVE TF, trying to keep me confused -- do they sweep SW on my transports (if they know they're there) or do they make a run for Suva. I'd prefer Suva, since I have a load of AA there... [;)]
At Efate, I have two PT boats and he has transports and some escorts in a few separate TF.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 18, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 18, 1942

Highlights: Small surface action at Akyab
  • At Akyab, four Allied DD's intercept a Japanese transport. The AK Shiganoura Maru is hit 15 times with shells and one torpedo. The MSW W.6 is hit twice and is burning. The DD Isis takes two minor hits and only report some dented armor. When the sun rises, 27 x LB-30 hit the port and do superficial damage. Later, another Japanese transport TF arrives and Beaufort V-IX put a bomb into two AP's, which were carrying troops. Then the Japanese retaliate and Betty's put three torpedoes into the DD Nepal, sinking her.
  • At Koumac, Allied bombers score a single hit on the PG Tatsumiya Maru for 23 SBD's.
  • At Efate, the PG Hakkai Maru takes a torpedo from a TBF.
  • At La Foa, the PT PT-79 is attacked by 15 x Ann and suffers 8 gun hits and 6 bomb hits, sinking the boat.
  • Allied troops begin the siege of Myitkyina. The Japanese spot them before they can form a defensive line and the Allies unceremoniously retreat back into the jungle.
  • Southeast of Hengchow, the Chinese force two Japanese units to retreat east.

Analysis: I'm definitely keeping him busy in the Burma area. He's moving up portions of the Imperial Guards Division to Akyab. I am getting closer to moving into that hex, so things could be interesting soon. But I lost a DD, which is not good - I stripped the Indian theatre of almost all surface combat ships (except for subs and other ships under repair), so I need these DDs. I may need to recall some ships from Australia now...
I really need to learn to move my troops into a defended hex all at the same time. When they arrive one-by-one, they end up retreating because they are so outnumbered. I'll get it right this second try at Myitkyina.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 19, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 19, 1942

Highlights: Lots of bombing
  • The BB Hiei and 4 DD bombard Efate. Minor casualties are reported.
  • The BB Valiant, 5xCL and 3xDD bombard the Japanese troops sieging Broome and cause moderate casualties. As the ships left the port, they encountered the SS I-18 and put a direct depth charge hit into the sub.
  • The Allies bomb Port Moresby. First wave is 35 x B-24D, which are met by 38 x Zero and 13 x Tony. Almost 1/3 of the bombers are shot down to only three CAP fighters. No bombers make a bomb run. The second wave is 12 x B-17C, 41 x B-17E and 61 x B-24D; the CAP is 28 x Zero and 12 x Tony this time. 17 bombers are downed and a few fighters. The bombers do get to drop their ordinance and about a dozen planes are destroyed on the ground with moderate airbase damage.
  • 66 Japanese bombers hit Broome and cause minor damage.
  • 62 Japanese bombers hit Efate. The escorts (54 Zeros) shoot down all 9 F4F-4 on CAP and then cause moderate airbase damage.
  • 51 x B-24D hit Wake Island and do moderate damage. The 13 x Nick on CAP damage some bombers, but almost all take some defensive hits from the bombers.
  • 17 x LB-30 hit Akyab. Four bombers are shot down and a small number of casualties are inflicted on a detachment of the Imperial Guards Division.
  • Japanese carrier planes attack a transport TF south of Noumea. Hits are scored on all three transports, one transport seriously damaged. The transports were carrying an AA unit.
  • Northwest of Canton, the Chinese attack, but the Japanese defenders were well-prepared and the Chinese suffer over 1300 casualties to only 525 Japanese.
  • Southeast of Sian, the Chinese dislodge the Japanese troops blocking the railway link to Homan.

Analysis: I lost a lot of planes that turn... [:(] Fortunately, I have lots of replacement planes and pilots (except for P-40's), but the airgroups' morale is now in the 10's and 20's, so it'll be a while before I can fly them again.
South of Noumea, it looks like his carriers are cutting west, which is right into my invasion TF. I'll have to divert them and maybe send out some transport "bait" to distract the carriers.
It also looks like he's evacuating troops NW of Pakhoi and maybe beefing up the defenses at Pakhoi. I'll attack there and see what happens.
Elsewhere in China, I will start moving east in some areas to keep him on the defensive. And maybe get a chance to break out of Ichang...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 19, 1942 -- Aleutians

Post by floydg »

A view of the Aleutians.

Image

A = CV TF (2 CVE & CVL, I think), Transport TF and maybe a SC TF (or another Transport TF, shoddy intel).
B = ASW TF looking for some pesky subs
C = CV Wasp and CV Hornet. The CV Saratoga is about a week away -- repairs were almost done, so I decided to sail her out anyway. Maybe it will be a good surprise.
Dutch Harbor = Transport TF with an RCT and much-needed supply for the 1st USMC Div at Adak Island.

Once Sara arrives, I'll advance on Adak Island. In the mean time, I'm ferrying in supply by air.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 20, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 20, 1942

Highlights: Broome defense weakens; Efate defense holds strong
  • The BB Hiei and 4 DD again bombard Efate with moderate damage to the base and almost 150 casualties. Japanese bombers make a few aerial bomb runs to soften up the defending allies with minor effect. The Japanese para-drop an SNLF in a coordinated attack. The attack fails and the Japanese take over 1100 casualties to only 110 defending allies.
  • 31 Sally bomb Yenen and do minor damage, but AA is able to shoot down one bomber.
  • Allied bombers at Efate attempt to hit various Japanese shipping around Efate and Luganville, but only serve to lose planes in the attempt.
  • Several small waves of Betty's hit ships at Noumea, but the numbers were small and escorts light (or non-existent), so almost all Bettys were shot down (7 of 'em).
  • The CS Mizuho at Koumac takes a bomb from an SBD, which reportedly penetrated the deck armor, but no smoke or flames are seen.
  • SSW of Dutch Harbor, a MSW ASW TF locates the SS I-156 and scores one direct depth charge hit and 7 minor hits.
  • The Japanese attack at Broome and reduce the defending fortifications to 1. Each side takes around 1000 casualties.
  • The Chinese attack at Pakhoi, but the Japanese hold.

Analysis: Another one of his para drop/attacks fails. This time at Efate. I guess he really likes these coordiated things, so he keeps doing it. Maybe it's not everything it's cracked up to be.
In China, my advances slow, but at least he's not making any headway.
I spotted this:
Image
So he's either going after Thursday Island or Merauke. Depends on how heavy he comes in, but I may be in trouble at either location...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 21, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 21, 1942

Highlights: Not much to write home about
  • Japanese bombard Broome with 3xCA, CL and 7xDD. Over 1000 casualties are reported and significant damage is done to the facilities.
  • Japanese planes bomb Kweilin causing minor damage to a non-critical base.
  • Japanese conduct several air attacks against ships at Noumea. In one wave, 3 Betty's do no damage, but two Allied CAP planes are downed. In a second wave, 9 Betty's do no damage on a trade of 1 Allied for 1 Japanese escort aircraft. In a third, 6 Betty's do no damage but 6 Allied CAP and 6 Japanese escorts are downed.

Analysis:With the bombardment at Broome, it probably won't hold much longer. But I do have plenty of supply.
My plans to invade at Koumac are still on, but I'm not having a good feeling about things, with those carriers parked south-east of Noumea.

Up in the Aleutians, he's up to something...
Image
Transport TF's show up at the islands east and west of Adak Island. Not sure if they're going to unload troops, act as decoys, or something more nefarious. In any event, I'll send some big guns in to one location to test him out. Also, the carriers disappeared... [&:]
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 22, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 22, 1942

Highlights: Efate takes a pounding; PT boats ravage a small Japanese TF
  • At night, four American PT boats sneak into Koumac harbor and engage the CS Mizuho, DD Karukaya and PG Tatsumiya Maru. The DD Karukaya took 8 shell hits and two torpedo hits and was sunk; the CS Mizuho took a torpedo hit and the PG took some shell hits and a torpedo hit. The PT boats were un-damaged and the commander decided to withdraw before any relief came.
  • Once again, Broome is bombarded by Japanese ships. The damage is lighter, but the base is still in smoldering ruins, so it's hard to notice. The Japanese troops attack, but the defenders hold, causing over 1000 Japanese casualties to just over 500 Australians.
  • Southwest of Thursday Island, a Japanese transport TF is located and three Beaufighter Mk 21's make a bombing run. One bomb connected on the AK Chuko Maru.
  • Two American PT boats on the way from Efate to Noumea get attacked by 15 Ann and the PT-66 takes two bombs and assorted gun hits and sinks.
  • Approximately 100 Japanese bombers hit Efate, destroying almost 20 Allied aircraft in the air and on the ground and doing a decent amount of damage to the airbase.
  • The Allies strike back from Efate and LBA put a bomb in the CS Nisshin at Efate.
  • Later in the day, bombers from Koumac attack transports at Noumea. The CAP shoots down 3 Rufe, 3 Zero and 3 Ann, but some Ann's make it through to put a bomb in the AK Adhara.
  • SE of Changsha, the Chinese probing the Japanese line are challenged and in a brief battle, are forced to fall back to Changsha.

Analysis: Looks like his two CS in the New Caledonia/New Hebrides area are now out of action. Efate seems to be holding on, but I suspect a few more poundings and it'll be surrender time.
I spotted some Japanese carriers south of Dutch Harbor. I guess he's trying to lure me in. It may work.
And it seems like he is reinforcing at Pakhoi. I guess he realized that losing it would be bad. At little more rest and I'll make another attack. Elsewhere in China, I start to make small offensive "motions".
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 22, 1942 - China

Post by floydg »

Since CoachZ's computer is now in the ICU (due to come out of the coma on Wednesday), I have some time to post random stuff (and work on the WitPTracker when my wife's asleep).

Here is the situation in China:
Image
As you can see, I'm at his doors at Pakhoi and Canton.
Elsewhere, he has me surrounded at Ichang (my bad to let that happen so easily - but I'm trying to break that up, since his trioops doing it have to be out of supply range, no?).
Southeast of Changsha, I'm trying to make some contact and cause him to direct his attention there, so I can start making a little move to the south (Swatow, etc) and have him well-blocked off.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 23, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 23, 1942

Highlights: PT's again ravage Japanese; Allied planes massacred at Efate
  • At night, four American PT boats sneak into Koumac harbor and engage the CS Mizuho, DD Karukaya and PG Tatsumiya Maru. The DD Karukaya took 8 shell hits and two torpedo hits and was sunk; the CS Mizuho took a torpedo hit and the PG took some shell hits and a torpedo hit. The PT boats were un-damaged and the commander decided to withdraw before any relief came.
  • Once again, Broome is bombarded by Japanese ships. The damage is lighter, but the base is still in smoldering ruins, so it's hard to notice. The Japanese troops attack, but the defenders hold, causing over 1000 Japanese casualties to just over 500 Australians.
  • Southwest of Thursday Island, a Japanese transport TF is located and three Beaufighter Mk 21's make a bombing run. One bomb connected on the AK Chuko Maru.
  • Two American PT boats on the way from Efate to Noumea get attacked by 15 Ann and the PT-66 takes two bombs and assorted gun hits and sinks.
  • Approximately 100 Japanese bombers hit Efate, destroying almost 20 Allied aircraft in the air and on the ground and doing a decent amount of damage to the airbase.
  • The Allies strike back from Efate and LBA put a bomb in the CS Nisshin at Efate.
  • Later in the day, bombers from Koumac attack Allied transports at Noumea. The CAP shoots down 3 Rufe, 3 Zero and 3 Ann, but some Ann's make it through to put a bomb in the AK Adhara.
  • SE of Changsha, the Chinese probing the Japanese line are challenged and in a brief battle, are forced to fall back to Changsha.

Analysis: I really got creamed at Efate, losing quite a few planes there. The airbase is still open, but there are almost no planes left to fly out of there...
But on the positive side, my PT boats ravaged him at Koumac, which is my consolation prize.
Looks like his transports by Thursday Island by-passed my bases there and are bound for Darwin(?). Or maybe that's a feint or something.
Japanese carriers appeared about 8 hexes south of Dutch Harbor. He must be trying to draw me out.
And the other Japanese carriers in the New Caledonia area are moving back north, so my Koumac operation will inch a little closer.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 23, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 23, 1942

[CoachZ's computer is resurrected; somehow I have a second August 23rd -- I need to check my records, as I missed a day somewhere...]

Highlights: Big Carrier Battle in Aleutians; Broome falls
  • The Japanese make several naval bombardments of Efate. The damage is moderate, adding on to previous damage that has not yet been repaired. The Japanese ground attack is a failure, as the Americans easily hold out.
  • Japanese bombers soften up the troops at Broome. The Japanese ground assault catches the defenders in their weak point and the Japanese break through the defenses and the beaten Allies surrender the city.
  • South of Dutch Harbor, American and Japanese carrier task forces maneuver for position. It will be the CV Hornet, CV Wasp and a freshly repaired CV Saratoga against the CV Hiyo, CVE Unyo, CVE Hosho, CVE Taiyo and probably the CV Zuikaku and CV Hiryu.
    • The Americans strike first, with 32xSBD, 15xTBF and 26xF4F-4's. There are 50 A6M2's on CAP, but a large number of bombers make it through and put a bomb on the CVE Unyo, a torpedo into the CV Hiyo, two bombs and a torpedo into the CVE Hosho and a bomb into the CL Abukuma.
    • The second wave consisted of 14xSBD, escorted by only 3xF4F-4's. The CAP is now down to 34 Zeros. One more bomb connects on both the CVE Unyo and the CV Hiyo.
    • The third wave brings 35xSBD, 15xTBF escorted by 5xF4F-4's. The CAP is at 33 Zeros. A large number of bombers make it through and put another bomb into the CVE Unyo and score the first two bomb hits on the CVE Taiyo. The DD Hatakaze takes a critical torpedo hit and later sinks.
    • A fourth wave brings in 14xSBD, 12xTBF escorted by 4xF4F-4's. The CAP is now down to 26 and they must be tired, as almost all bombers make their runs. The CVE Taiyo takes another bomb hit, as does the CL Abukuma.
    • The Japanese hit back and 30xVal, 45xKate escorted by 26xZero meet a CAP of 50 F4F-4's. The CV Hornet takes two torpedoes and four bomb hits, and the CL Nashville takes two bombs.
    • The next Japanese wave of 19xVal, 17xKate escorted by 3xZero meet a reduced CAP of 24 F4F-4's. A few bombers make their runs and the CV Hornet suffers a second bomb hit and three more torpedo hits. The CL Nashville again takes two bombs.
    • As a third wave of 22xVal arrives, the CV Hornet is ordered to abandon ship, as the Captain deems the ship a loss. It later sinks.
    • In the afternoon, the Japanese carrier TF suspected to contain the CV Hiryu and CV Zuikaku closed on the American carriers, but the Americans struck again on the damaged carrier TF, not these two fleet carriers. A wave of 24xSBD, 6xTBF escorted by 20xF4F-4's met a CAP of only 10xZero. Most planes made their runs, but only scored a single bomb hit on the CV Hiyo and another on the CVE Taiyo.
    • The Japanese make two meager counter-strikes with a few Kates on the CV Wasp, but none connect.
  • Outside Koumac, the CS Mizuho attempts to make it to a repair facility, but SBD's and TBF's from Noumea put four bombs and one torpedo into it and she sinks.
  • A few Betty's attack ships at Noumea, but no ships are hit and about ¼ of the Betty's are shot down.
  • The AK Bichu Maru at Koumac takes three more bomb hits (now totaling 7 penetrating 1000 lb GP bomb hits and numerous PT shell hits – will this thing ever sink?), but the ship is still afloat.
  • NW of Canton, the Chinese attack, but their attack is not well-organized and the Japanese hold, taking just under 500 casualties to the over 1500 Chinese.

Analysis: Hard to tell who won that carrier battle. I lost the Hornet, but I think the Hiyo could be toast and for sure, the three CVE are not going to make it. I didn't realize that the Hiryu and Zuikaku were lurking there - if I knew, I wouldn't have even tried to engage, being outnumbered. And on the plus side, I really ravaged his carrier planes. I don't know what he has left on his decks, but from the last strikes he made, either their overloaded with planes that couldn't return to their carriers or he's lost almost all of his planes - I suspect the former.
Broome fell, but that was inevitable. Now I need to move on to defend Perth and eastern Australia from the inevitable march south he'll make.
In New Caledonia, his attack on Efate failed again, so I think if I can keep supply coming in, he may not succeed. And with his other carriers making a move back north, it could be time to launch my counter-attack at Koumac.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 23, 1942 -- Broome Falls

Post by floydg »

This is what I faced at Broome. I guess it was inevitable to fall...

Image
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”