Shakedown Cruise

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
Gary D
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:43 am
Location: Southern California

Shakedown Cruise

Post by Gary D »

Gent's

I am not getting much of an improvement in my ASW groups using shakedown cruises. I form them up, set them to remain on station and then let them sit a hex or two outside port until they run out of fuel. After 3 weeks the ships are falling apart and the crews may have gained a couple points of experience.

Is this what you are doing? Does somebody have a technique that offers up better results? ASW (awfully slow warfare) is kicking my butt.

Gracias,

Gary
Jagger2002
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 9:05 pm

Post by Jagger2002 »

After 23 days back and forth between Brisbane and out to sea, I checked two minesweepers. They haven't gained one point of experience- either day or night. One was still at 46/25 and the other at 46/23.

I guessed the ship experience process is not working.
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

Post by Raverdave »

Yup I am having a torid time to the west of Noumea, it is the new "Iron Bottom Sound". Time and time again I see my DD's, SC's and PG's as nothing more than target practice for the Jap subs. IIRC I am running at a lose ratio of 5 to 1 in the IJN's favour. I have tried to get the crews trained with upto a full months shake down, but they still get thumped. *Sigh*
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mark W Carver
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:13 am
Location: South-central PA

Post by Mark W Carver »

Originally posted by Raverdave
Yup I am having a torid time to the west of Noumea, it is the new "Iron Bottom Sound". Time and time again I see my DD's, SC's and PG's as nothing more than target practice for the Jap subs. IIRC I am running at a lose ratio of 5 to 1 in the IJN's favour. I have tried to get the crews trained with upto a full months shake down, but they still get thumped.
A suggestion if I may. Create a TF with your best DD (of course a DD with depth charges) commander and than add some SCs and/or PGs. Once it's created, the DD commander will be the commander of the TF. See it that helps...
User avatar
11Bravo
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:00 am
Contact:

you may be correct...

Post by 11Bravo »

I don't have hard data to back this up, but I feel you are right. Six weeks of shakedown cruises by a variety of ship classes have earned me no noticeable increase in experience levels.

I will try to go back to a saved game and check on the data. This would also be a prime candidate for an experiment with the editor, if I knew how to use it.

The experiment would be to stick some SC's with a large herd of AO's and strip all the other forces from the South Pacific. The turn length could be set for 1 week, then, turns could be run very fast, and changes in experience levels could be noted at 1 week intervals.
Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.
AlvinS
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: O'Fallon, Missouri
Contact:

Post by AlvinS »

A suggestion if I may. Create a TF with your best DD (of course a DD with depth charges) commander and than add some SCs and/or PGs. Once it's created, the DD commander will be the commander of the TF. See it that helps...
Thats what I have done and it seems to work fine. I put one of my best DD's with the SC's and sent them out. within a couple of weeks one of the SC's with day experience of level 47 had progressed to level 50.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Scen 17

Post by mogami »

Hi, In the long Campaign I put everything in one monster TF and send it up to L'ville and back. The second time it returns I put everything in port for a couple of days (to repair a little system damage.) Then I make a new TF with all the ships with less then 2 sys damage and send them up and back. Every time it returns I remake it with sys damage 1 or less ships. After 2 months every ship has gained at least 1 point (I only pay attention to night ratings since the subs rarely bother me in day time. This TF is led by a DD. It has not been much help yet since the Brisbane ASW assets get sent on actual combat missions (escorting transports) right from the start and most of the Japanese subs have been in PM or off Gili where they are a constant pain. I have sank 1 sub (with USN DD) and damaged 2 others. But the poor SC have been slaughtered. (air/and sub) Hopefully SouthPacs ASW will be up to speed by the time they are needed.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Beckles
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:32 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA

Post by Beckles »

Ships only have a 1 in 5 chance of increasing day time effectiveness and 1 in 7 chance of increasing night effectiveness each day they are out at sea, and that is only up to 55 for combat ships. (See page 63 of manual, also Version 1.1 adjusted the value SC's could train up to).
Scouters
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:19 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA

Post by Scouters »

Originally posted by Beckles
Ships only have a 1 in 5 chance of increasing day time effectiveness and 1 in 7 chance of increasing night effectiveness each day they are out at sea, and that is only up to 55 for combat ships. (See page 63 of manual, also Version 1.1 adjusted the value SC's could train up to).
Assuming a SC comes in with D Exp of 35 and N Exp of 25, it would take 100 days for it to reach its daytime max and 210 days to reach its nighttime max. I really haven't paid much attention to this. Does this seem to match people's experience?

-Scouters
"You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down on every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life."

-Admiral Benson
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

Slow, but sure experience

Post by Toro »

I've formed small groups of PCs & SCs (and DMs, DMS, etc) and send them to sea (patrol) one hex out of Noumea or Brisbane. I leave them there until fuel is low, then send them back, refuel, repeat. I've seen one group of four out of Bris that has gained an average of 3 experience each in the last 2 weeks. As soon as they hit 50, I put them in patrol groups.

Also, another tactic, is to make these low experience ships as escorts for supply/fuel runs in lower-threat areas (ie, Noumea to L'vil, Bris to a north Aussie port, or Truk to Rabaul). Some subs, but less of a threat. They do gain experience, but slowly.

Toro
User avatar
Jim D Burns
Posts: 4004
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Salida, CA.

helpful tip

Post by Jim D Burns »

Gents,

Just thought I'd drop a note and let everyone know how I handle my shakedown cruises. I create a transport taskforce and put all my SC's, PG's and MSW ships in it along with a single AO. I then load it with fuel and give it a destination hex several hexes southeast of Noumea with orders to patrol. The AO will refuel the entire taskforce several times before it gets depleted.

This allows the taskforce to remain at sea for a considerable period of time (about a month I'd guess) and saves me from the tedious task of continually having to assign shakedown cruises new destinations every few days. It also speeds up experience gain a bit as ships are not continually ending every few turns docked in port when refueling which probably prevents them from even making their rolls on those turns.

I've found it is simplest to move all assets you wish to train to Noumea and placing them all into one large taskforce instead of creating several of these taskforces at different locations. It also keeps most of my Oilers free to move fuel to forward staging areas.

Jim
User avatar
11Bravo
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:00 am
Contact:

found some data

Post by 11Bravo »

This is what 3 of my boats from scenerio 17 have accomplished in roughly 7 weeks of shakedown cruises:

Boat Dstart/Dfinal Nstart/Nfinal
PG Kiwi 45/45 31/34
SC 637 41/47 20/29
SC 640 45/46 22/32

My boats are definitely gaining experience on shakedown cruises, especially the critical night experience for ASW operations. I was surprised at how much they gained when I went back and looked at an earlier saved game. My initial impression checking on them once in a while was that nothing much was happening. :)
Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.
sitkis
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:00 am

Post by sitkis »

The quickest way to get night experience for the Allied DDs is to go play with the IJN. It is typical for night experience to go from 45 to 65 in a single engagement. Of course they need to survive. Many do though, and they get sent back to Pearl for an AA upgrade and promotion to CV TF duty. When night experience hits 70 they get sub hunter duty.

Getting 1-3 night experience each week is what I see with patrols. I make a big stack with a few DDs (for fuel,) and all the SCs, and send it one hex from port. Chose a hex with no beach (so they can't dock.) They will return to port when they run out of fuel, and it's only one hex, so no need to check on them. Put them in shallow water in case a sub shows. Do not pick a site with likely sub contacts as those 25 experience SC have no prayer.

A pack of four 70 experience DDs will damage 3-4 subs for every damaged DD. Jap DD sub killer groups are deadly. A group of four 25 experience SCs will hit one sub for every 15-20 SCs lost. Just casual observation with no statistical validity. Putting SCs in harms way without 2-4 months of training just results in more experienced Jap subs.
User avatar
kaleun
Posts: 5144
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 10:57 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by kaleun »

AIr assets also improve after a while and begin to attack subs. They even hit them on rare occasions:)
Now and then an IJN sub sinks.:rolleyes:
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Jagger2002
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 9:05 pm

Post by Jagger2002 »

I don't really see the results that justify shakedown cruises. Sure I can keep SC and MSW at sea for a couple of months shaking down but the same experience gain can be had by escorting convoys.


Now I just put SC's and MSM's with the convoys. I know they won't sink anything but they may be that picked sub target instead of your fat transport containing vital troops or supplies. Also absorbs sub torps forcing enemy subs to use up their ammo and return to base.

Am I wrong or is there any reason to do shakedown cruises? The cruises just seem like a massive amount of effort over months for so little return vs just using them.
AlvinS
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: O'Fallon, Missouri
Contact:

Post by AlvinS »

My SC's are gaining experience. SC 518 just sunk SS I-24 after being on a shakedown cruise of about 3 weeks. SC 518's experience is 55 Day and 28 Night. Unfortunately I did not check 518's experience level before the attack to see how much 4 hit gave it.

The TF consist of

CA Chicago
DD Walke (77 Day, 54 Night)
DD Farragut (78 Day, 51 Night)
PG Swan (52 Day, 36 Night)
PG Warrego (49 Day, 23 Night)
SC 517 (48 Day, 30 Night)
SC 518 (55 Day, 28 Night)
SC 519 (50 Day, 30 Night)
SC 521 (48 Day, 28 Night)
SC 522 (49 Day, 28 Night)


The date is 14 June 1942.

[FONT=courier new]Sub attack near Mouly at 52,64
Japanese Ships
SS I-24, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Chicago
SC 518[/FONT]

:cool: This is the first time I have ever had an SC sink a submarine. It has always been a DD in the past. Usually my SC make good targets.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
AlvinS
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: O'Fallon, Missouri
Contact:

Post by AlvinS »

2 Turns after my last post SC 519 has gone from (50 Day) to (52 Day). The TF was attacked once during this time. Seems like once they start gaining experience the numbers increase faster. Also I think the fact that they are making contacts is giving them experience faster.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
Chiteng
Posts: 1174
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Raleigh,nc,usa

Well.....

Post by Chiteng »

If anyone cares:

I went in and modified the xp and morale of some Japan
PG and PC ships just to see if it made a difference.
It makes a BIG difference.

From hardly ever attack, to attack all the time.

Just so you know
“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”