DCG's in V 1.04 beta

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

Jason,

Just want to give you the heads up...the upgrade glitch for WF has NOT been fixed. In Big Red One...Jan 43, my Pz Battalion HQ Platoon upgrades from a (2sp) Pz IIIH to a (1sp) Pz IIIJ, with a yellow indicator meaning not at full sterength, and it cannot be rebuilt with replacement points. After checking my review command...there is a slot for the Stabs platoon in the OOB, but NO model number is listed, and it tells me (0) strength (0) experience points, yet an understrength stabs platoon apprears in the game on map. This is the same glitch I reported when 1.03 came out.

This is similar to the 12+ year old Talonsoft glitch for WF panzer regiments upgrading in 44....but that one only affected the Flak panzer units attatched the the regiment.

I checked thru the OOB files and I 'll be dam%^& if I can find it. I am thinking it might be an OOB mistake, like an upgrade was missed somewhere but cant seem to find it. Of course, I also really dont know what I am looking for either...[:D]

Just letting you know.
User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by simovitch »

Tom, can you email me all of your campaign files? include campaign.log

Also, I just noticed the use of "Staß Platoon" in the OOB's to represent Stab (staff) Platoon? From high school german I remember the "ß" symbol meaning double-"s". These should just be "Stab" (or "Staff" in english.)
simovitch

Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

When the glitch happened I trashed the campaign...so the files have been deleted, however....I will duly begin it again and when the glitch happens, I will send you the campaign files....fair enough?

Yes I noticed that as well...but I took German in the 7th grade and I am really rusty...[:D]
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

Hey Guys, (Jason and Rich),

Started the Big Red One again..and found another glitch that was reported but not fixed. This is the first engagement, in Mid Dec 42.

In addition to the pz Battalion upgrade glitch, this one affects PzGren Companies. Not enough transport....my 28mm AT guns, and 50mm AT guns had to walk. The company came on as reinforcements, already loaded on transport. Some units were illegally loaded, and I am short 2 transport units for my artillery. Its a 7 unit company, but only 5 transport units show up.
User avatar
Jason Petho
Posts: 17794
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Contact:

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Borst50

Hey Guys, (Jason and Rich),

Started the Big Red One again..and found another glitch that was reported but not fixed. This is the first engagement, in Mid Dec 42.

In addition to the pz Battalion upgrade glitch, this one affects PzGren Companies. Not enough transport....my 28mm AT guns, and 50mm AT guns had to walk. The company came on as reinforcements, already loaded on transport. Some units were illegally loaded, and I am short 2 transport units for my artillery. Its a 7 unit company, but only 5 transport units show up.

Most West Front DCG upgrades will be coming with the 1.05 UPDATE.

Jason Petho
User avatar
Jason Petho
Posts: 17794
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Contact:

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Borst50

Hey Guys, (Jason and Rich),

Started the Big Red One again..and found another glitch that was reported but not fixed. This is the first engagement, in Mid Dec 42.

In addition to the pz Battalion upgrade glitch, this one affects PzGren Companies. Not enough transport....my 28mm AT guns, and 50mm AT guns had to walk. The company came on as reinforcements, already loaded on transport. Some units were illegally loaded, and I am short 2 transport units for my artillery. Its a 7 unit company, but only 5 transport units show up.

I think I fixed this now, though.

Jason Petho
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

Excellent...I assume it will be available with 1.04 official release?
User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: Borst50
Just want to give you the heads up...the upgrade glitch for WF has NOT been fixed. In Big Red One...Jan 43, my Pz Battalion HQ Platoon upgrades from a (2sp) Pz IIIH to a (1sp) Pz IIIJ, with a yellow indicator meaning not at full sterength, and it cannot be rebuilt with replacement points. After checking my review command...there is a slot for the Stabs platoon in the OOB, but NO model number is listed, and it tells me (0) strength (0) experience points, yet an understrength stabs platoon apprears in the game on map. This is the same glitch I reported when 1.03 came out.

I don't see any errors with the OOB's, other than the "ß" symbol. This symbol may in fact be causing the error (by filling up data placeholders during character encoding ?). Obviously grasping at straws here.
simovitch

User avatar
Big Ivan
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:34 am
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Big Ivan »

Thanks CW58 on the location of variable visibility.

I read pages 52/53 but I guess I'm dense.
In 1.04 its included as an optional rule!? Does that relate strictly to dusk/night/dawn or is daylight included?

I figure visibility may change with dusk and dawn but does it mean that when you check the option will day and night also be affected?

Big Ivan[;)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Assistant Forum Moderator for CS and CSx2 at The Blitz Wargaming Club.
User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by simovitch »

Big Ivan, If the "variable visibility" box is checked:

During Night scenarios, visibility (the range where you can fire at full FP) can change from 1 to 3 hexes. In Night scenarios there is also a "visibility range" set by the scenario designer of up to 20 hexes where gunflashes will be visible - this does not vary AFAIK. Note that there are no Night scenarios in DCG's.

During Daytime scenarios like the ones found in DCG's, only scenarios with initial visibility of 5-14 hexes will experience variable visibility.

Of course this is all different from the Day to Night - Night to Day setting, which can only occur if purposely set by the designer in new scenarios.
simovitch

Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

lol...good luck Rich....I havent got a clue either.
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

Ok Rich....have restarted the campaign and have gotten the upgrades....I have also modified the files and corrected the Stab spelling....and it didnt make a difference. The same result occured. I went thru the campaign files associated with the DCG and cant seem to find any errors...But that really doesnt mean much since i dont know what I am looking at. [:D]

Let me know where you want the files sent and i will send them.
User avatar
Big Ivan
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:34 am
Location: Mansfield, Ohio USA

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Big Ivan »

Thanks simovitch, that clears up a lot!
Best always!

Big Ivan
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Assistant Forum Moderator for CS and CSx2 at The Blitz Wargaming Club.
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

While poking around in my Platoon files, I ran across a platoon zip file....Platoon11.zip. Is that part of Huib's Geheime Kommandosache thingy? This was in the WF folder.
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

Sayyy..Jason...could you tell me what compaines you changed in the OOB's to fix the transport problem? I went in there and changed the ones I can find....but I did miss some...the same thing happened after I modified my files. It would cut down my search time if you could let me know which ones you modified.
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: DCG's in V 1.04 beta

Post by Borst50 »

I think I finally got all the Transport problems ironed out....some of the units were hard to find, and after awhile, my eyes crossed from staring at the screen. So far, no anomolies. As for the HQ Platoon upgrade, I am pretty sure I fixed the problem, I just modified my OOB's and cut out that one particular issue, and it seems to work fine. The HQ upgraded, and everything is copacetic.

I was however, curious about the illegally loaded transport problem. I added an 88 to my Tiger HQ Company, just playing around with it, and started a DCG. The Company came on pre-loaded on transport, and moved ok. But I couldnt seem to find my 88 anywhere....its transport unit came in....and was zipping around. After looking high and low...I found it...My Engineer unit came in loaded on my motorcycles....ok...thats cool....my motorcycle platoon came in loaded on my 88 transport unit....I can even live with that.....but....my 88 gun was actually loaded on my motorcycles???? [:D][:D]. I didnt think that was even possible, and yet...there it was. I didnt even notice it until after I moved them into position and unloaded the motorcycles. Imagine my surprise when the 88's got off the bikes.

I assume this is a "hardwired" coding problem, something I cant fix myself.
Post Reply

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”