Sound

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
User avatar
mmarquo
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:00 am

Sound

Post by mmarquo »

I am having one heck of a time getting sound to play consistently...I deleted all prior versions of spwaw, edited out all prior references to spwaw and matrix games from my registry, reinstalled spwawv4...all to no avail...help, please?
Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

Post by Voriax »

Ok, so this time there is no need to ask about correct installation Image

If you encounter lack of firing sounds when in close combat, that is somewhat normal. I think it's been a permanent bug since SP1 that in such cases most/all weapon sounds vanish occasionally.

Of course if you specify what sorts of inconsistency you experience and did all work fine in previous version(s) of SPWAW it might help.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Fuerte
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by Fuerte »

And if you have "fast artillery" on, then you don't hear artillery sounds.
User avatar
mmarquo
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:00 am

Post by mmarquo »

All prior versions of spwaw worked just fine...in fact, I initially just upgraded the last version to spwawv4 and it seemed to work okay the first time I used it; then the second time the sound went out so I deleted everything, downloaded spwaw4 fresh and installed it (not as the upgrade) and it doesn't have consistent sound...???

Thanx
User avatar
The MSG
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Sviþjoð
Contact:

Post by The MSG »

If u want sound in close combat in the SteelPanthers series of games, just zoom in, sounds like Im pulling your chain, but it actually work!




------------------
The MSG
"Arf! Arf! Thats my other dog impression."
-Oddball

Image
BA Evans
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: USA

Post by BA Evans »

I had some problems when I upgraded to v4.0. I finally decided not to mess around with upgrading and downloaded the complete version. I haven't had any problems with this.

BA Evans
User avatar
mmarquo
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:00 am

Post by mmarquo »

Thanx for all of your input...but there is still only very intermittent sound...once again I deleted the entire program, reinstalled it; tried it again ---> no luck; tried running it from the DOS prompt ---> no luck; it's wierd ---when the game starts, the intro works just fine, then when the game choice screen starts ---> no sound, and SP without sound is just not the same!

Any help out there?

Marquo
Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

Post by Voriax »

Marquo, so you have the intro sound, but in the actual game you have no sounds at all? No background sounds?

Usually people report that some sounds are missing..but all... Image If you try just playing these waw's in some player, do they work all right? Does all other games you may have work fine? Have you done any hardware changes? What soundcard do you have?

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
User avatar
mmarquo
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:00 am

Post by mmarquo »

The sound only works intermittently...ie. sometimes for infantry, not for tanks...or visa versa...or the machine guns will work but not flamethrower...

I have a creative soundblaster 16 card; I updated all of my drivers today...no luck...

no hardware changes...all other games work...in fact all prior versions and upgrades of spwaw worked perfectly...why not spwaw4???

Thanx for yur help


Marquo
User avatar
Bulldog61
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Aurora,CO

Post by Bulldog61 »

Marquo - have you tried reduce the acceleration level of your sound card? If not right click on the speaker in the tray on the right hand corner of your taskbar. Click on Adjust Audio properties You should have a playback frame on the top of this screen. Click on the "Advanced properties" button. Click on the performance tab, there should be a perfomance slider move that all the way to the left. That worked for me.
You can run but you'll die tired!
User avatar
mmarquo
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:00 am

Post by mmarquo »

Thanx MikeKramer....I tried slowing down the acceleration as you suggested...but again to no avail...have the sound files been "upgraded" in this newest version? If so, is there some way to "downgrade" them?

Thanx...

Marquo
User avatar
Warhorse
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Birdsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Warhorse »

Marquo, do the wav. files play if you double click on them in explorer? You weren't by chance playing around with the sound files atr any time, and accidently changed the way they are played? Just trying to understand this, I've occasionally had sounds 'stutter', or a machine gun might be skipped in a line of 4 weapons firing. Sorry if this doesn't help.

------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
SAMWolf
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Oregon, USA

Post by SAMWolf »

I had a problem with sounds being clipped or choppy. I finally got the sounds to work properly by turning of hardware acceleration on my sound card. (Diamond Monster MX300)
Fuerte
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by Fuerte »

I have had no problems with MX300. Get the latest drivers from here: http://www.vortexofsound.com/drivers/drivers-2.htm
Also make sure you have DirectX 7.1.
User avatar
Bulldog61
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Aurora,CO

Post by Bulldog61 »

Fuerte - Good one on Direct x 7.1. Marquo - If thats not the problem check and see if your sound card is double installed.
You can run but you'll die tired!
donoldskay
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Oldsmar FL USA

Post by donoldskay »

Did the upgrade installation made a second Steel Panthers World at War subdirectory as a subdirectory of the original Steel Panthers World at War subdirectory? If so and the upgrade files and directories were installed in the second SPWAW subdirectory, try copying the files from the sound directory in the original SPWAW directory into the sound directory in the second or new SPWAW directory. After much thrashing around, this worked for me. Great game buteven greater with all of the sound.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”