To Task Force 201:

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
Fred98
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Wollondilly, Sydney

To Task Force 201:

Post by Fred98 »

I want Task Force 201 to go from A to B and when you arrive do your thing.

Continue to do your thing. Do not return to base.

When you are short of fuel/supplies/ammo I need you to automatically go to the nearest base/replenshiment Task Force to get re-supplied without my having to give the order.

And I need a message telling me you are doing so. I need the option to re-direct you in case the AI stuffs up.

As usual, at any time I want to jump in and change the orders of a Task Force or create a new Task Force.
Richrd
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:14 am

Yes

Post by Richrd »

I second this one. What a pain it is to have to redo the orders every turn.
Richrd
Edward Kapitan
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 20, 2002 9:53 pm

Post by Edward Kapitan »

Wouldn't you set TF201 to not retire, not react to enemy and change the "homebase" to the base nearest to point B so that when it runs low on supplies it will go to that base? I've done that up to now with some pretty good results.
strollen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat May 18, 2002 7:07 am

Post by strollen »

Originally posted by Edward Kapitan
Wouldn't you set TF201 to not retire, not react to enemy and change the "homebase" to the base nearest to point B so that when it runs low on supplies it will go to that base? I've done that up to now with some pretty good results.
LOL, that is sort of what I thought. Actually, I like the way transport TF work, it seems pretty straightforward. Go to base A unload when you are done return to homebase... Plus via the retire/patrol or react/don't react selection and the choice of the TF commander you have a lot of control over how aggressive you want the commander to be.
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

Re: To Task Force 201:

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Originally posted by Joe 98
When you are short of fuel/supplies/ammo I need you to automatically go to the nearest base/replenshiment Task Force to get re-supplied without my having to give the order.
Methinks he's talking about a coding in the program that specifically focuses on the fuel/endurance situation.

"Patrol/Do Not Retire (unless low on fuel)"

It really bites when a TF runs out of fuel, and you have to mount up a Replenishment TF posse to go get 'em. CVs with no fuel launch no aircraft, and therefore become underwater parking garages...
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

replensh TF

Post by mogami »

Hi, Make a repleshment Tf and order it to follow TF 201. It will not keep up but when TF 201 starts getting low on fuel this TF will be somewhere near by. (TF 201 can move to it)
I have never had a TF run out of fuel. I often order a replenshment TF to sea several days before the combat TF gets underway. (I know a week or so in advance I am going to conduct some sort of operation)

When you know a large TF is going out for a long while, pre station a replenshm,ent TF out (in safe spot) Main TF moves to it and tops off before conducting ops. Then it has this replenshment group to return to extending it's at sea time
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Re: replensh TF

Post by Sonny »

Originally posted by Mogami
Hi, Make a repleshment Tf and order it to follow TF 201. It will not keep up but when TF 201 starts getting low on fuel this TF will be somewhere near by. (TF 201 can move to it)
I have never had a TF run out of fuel. I often order a replenshment TF to sea several days before the combat TF gets underway. (I know a week or so in advance I am going to conduct some sort of operation)

When you know a large TF is going out for a long while, pre station a replenshm,ent TF out (in safe spot) Main TF moves to it and tops off before conducting ops. Then it has this replenshment group to return to extending it's at sea time
I thought everyone did this. Seems like an obvious use for AOs. But his request is to not have to tell them to go get refueled - they should do it on their own. The follow TF works very well (unless you forget to cancel it when your TF reacts and goes into LBA range).

I'm not in favor of letting the TF go fuel where it wants to - could ruin some plans - or decide that Buna is nearer than Cairns for refueling and it gets clobbered by Japanese LBA. It is kinda like having to set the TFs home base to the nearest port when it is damaged and you don't want it to return to Noumea/Truk - something you don't wanna have to do but it is safer than letting the AI decide it for you.:)
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Default settings

Post by mogami »

Hi, Having a TF decide to leave station for fuel implies the TF commander has that discretion. It might be the player wants the TF to remain on station no matter what (don't worry I have replenshment TF on the way) The return to Truk/Noumea is just a default setting. It lets you know when you see th chain of yellow hexes the ship/TF is bugging out. It's up to you to change where its going (I try to build a lot of at least level 3 ports for damaged ships to run to for repair of floatation so they can make it to major port)

A setting for refuel when low would be a choice, another is to plan ahead and realize how long a TF can remain out before fuel becomes the issue. Just place the TF under computer control and it will go home when low on fuel. It will stay where you put it.
Make the TF, pick mission, set destination, then put under computer control and it will behave it the manner described
(personally I just look at it every turn and adjust as situation warrents)
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Mogami hits the nail on the head - advanced planning.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”