How do i...

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Knife
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 8:00 am

How do i...

Post by Knife »

Entrench a unit?

Send in strike aircraft?

Use papratroopers?

Use a flamethrowing tank EFFECTIVELY!!
And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
One more soldier reporting Sir
I've served my time in hell
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: How do i...

Post by rbrunsman »

Originally posted by Knife
Entrench a unit? I believe units can only be entrenched in the deploy phase. You just click the entrench button on the right side of your screen. Keep in mind, this option is not available in all types of battles (e.g. in defense and delay situations only, IIRC). In the middle of a game, AFAIK, a unit that is unsuppressed and not moving may go to "in cover" status. That is an experience check issue and not something you can do by giving orders.

Send in strike aircraft? Airstrikes are ordered just like you order artillery strikes. They can be called anytime that they are "in contact."

Use papratroopers? To begin with, you have to buy transport aircraft in the purchase phase. (Pay attention to load capacity. It's not a one to one relationship.) Then in the deploy phase, you load airborne units into the airplanes. Then you click the icon with the parachute on the right. Then you tell the airplanes where you want it to drop your units.

Use a flamethrowing tank EFFECTIVELY!! Other than the short range of FT units, I don't understand what you mean. You certainly wouldn't want them as the vanguard of your advance. They should be introduced to your opponents units when they are not likely to get an opp fire shot at your FTs.
These are my suggestions and certainly not those of an expert. Others may have better explainations or interpretations of your questions. I just thought I'd give you an answer because no one else had done so yet.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Read the manual.
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Supervisor
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am

Post by Supervisor »

Another way to entrench a unit is to put it in a defend status for several turns and eventially you'll see sand bags surround your unit. This is not as a deployment entrenchment but it is very good when the shooting starts.
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rbrunsman »

Does switching to Defend status help even if you play with C&C off? I thought it only worked with C&C on. I don't know where I got that notion, so if I'm wrong I'll be sure to use it more often.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Supervisor
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am

Post by Supervisor »

Its actually more forgiving if C&C is off, it gives a better defensive status without losing any movement points to do so. After about 3 turns your guys are burried in it for the long haul making it very tough to hit.
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”