The Turning Point: floydg (A) & Coach Z (J) -- Luganville liberated

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 23, 1942 -- Aleutians post-battle

Post by floydg »

Here are the way things stack up in the Aleutians after the carrier battle:
Image

The eastern-most Japanese TF has the Zuikaku and Hiryu and the ones to the west are the damaged ones.

Since there are thunderstorms (snow?) predicted for the area, I'll pull back and replenish my planes and then maybe sortie back out for the stragglers.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 24, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 24, 1942

Highlights: Dutch sub sunk; Japanese fail to dislodge Chinese at Canton
  • Near Akyab, the SS KXI locates the AP Atsuta Maru and puts two torpedoes into her.
  • Also in the area, a Japanese ASW TF locates the SS KIX and scores a direct depth charge hit. The hit causes significant internal damage and the sub sinks.
  • The Japanese bomb Dacca with just 20 bombers and cause just slight damage.
  • NW of Koumac, SBDs from Noumea attack the AK Bichu Maru again, scoring two more bomb hits, finally sinking the transport.
  • Two Japanese BB bombard the Chinese troops at Canton and then ground troops attempt to push the Chinese back from the gates of the city. The bombardment was somewhat ineffective and the Japanese attack was a failure, taking over 1200 casualties to just over 200 Chinese.

Analysis: Not such an exciting day, but I did lose a Dutch sub, which is not good.
The weather is bad in the Aleutians, so I'll try to sneak in my reinforcements.
Also, I'll start my invasion of Koumac, since it looks like his carriers are headed out of the area.
And at Dacca, I'll try to ambush him with a part of the AVG...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 25, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 25, 1942

Highlights: Aleutians and New Caledonian operations revealed
  • The SS Snapper, in the Malacca Strait, puts a torpedo in the TK Abenono Maru and then later, one in the AK Dori Maru.
  • American ships, including the BB North Carolina, 2 CA and 3 CL bombard Adak Island, causing over 200 casualties. Later in the day, the Japanese spot transports arriving at the shores of Adak Island and Nell's attack. The AP American Legion takes two torpedoes, the AP St. Mihel takes one and the AP Hugh L Scott takes two. In a second wave, the AP St. Mihel takes two more torpedoes and sinks; the AP Tasker H. Bliss and AP Henderson each take a torpedo. Some of the troops on board are killed.
  • The Japanese again bomb Dacca, but this time parts of the AVG intercept and 6 Oscar are downed at a cost of 3 P-40E and 1 Hurricane.
  • B-24D's hit Wake Island, causing slight damage.
  • West of Koumac, Allied task forces are located and Japanese carrier planes from ships NE of Koumac strike. 30 fighters escort 36 Kates. 9 escorting fighters and 1 Kate are shot down by 8 F4F-4's patrolling over the TF, but two bombs register on the AK Aldebaran and AK Coast Trader, with troops on board. In a second wave, 16 Kates go after the BB Idaho and all miss; and a third wave goes after some other AK's and all miss.
  • The MSW Ipswitch is attacked at Noumea by Bettys and one torpedo hit sinks her.
  • The Chinese attack at Pakhoi. The Japanese put up a good defense and the Chinese are repulsed, taking almost 800 casualties to just under 400 Japanese.

Analysis: Gah! He discovered both of my operations...[:(]
In the Aleutians, my AP's were hammered (drilled?) by torpedoes. I should be able to get most of the RCT off-loaded and hopefully most of the supply.
In New Caledonia, the AK's holding a cavalry division were hit, some of the more damaged transports will go to Noumea and the rest will press on to Koumac; the AP's with the majority of the Americal Division are still intact and will hit the beaches at night, coordinated with a shelling from the capital ships. I'm sure he'll bring in the carriers and whatever capital ships he has, but I have some PT's and MSW's running interference for the invasion force.
We'll see what happens as these move on, since he probably knows what I'm up to -- he almost revealed it, but caught himself. But since I've known him for over 30 years, it's not easy for him to hide his thoughts.
In China, I missed a 1:1 odds at Pakhoi by 2 AV... [:@]
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 26, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 26, 1942

Highlights: Invasion of Koumac begins; reinforcement of Adak Island
  • American troops unload at Adak Island. Nells attack the transports and put a torpedo into the AP Hugh L Scott and AP Tasker H. Bliss; and two into the AP Henderson, sinking her.
  • West of Koumac, an Allied SCTF locates a Japanese sub and subsequently sinks the SS RO-68 with two direct depth charge hits and four near misses. The TF then moves to Koumac and conducts a bombardment of the Japanese forces from the BB Idaho, BB Mississippi, CL St. Louis and CL Hobart, but does very little damage.
  • Troops begin to unload at Koumac. Some ships take minor coastal gun hits and one AP hits a mine.
  • Also at Koumac, 6 American PT boats enter the harbor area and encounter a transport TF. The AK Shinrei Maru takes two torpedoes and is sunk before the task forces break off.
  • NE of Yenen, the Japanese bomb a Chinese unit, but 12 I-16c intercept, shooting down 6 of 11 Oscars and 1 of 13 Lily's, with no losses of their own. Very light casualties were reported from the ground troops.
  • Over 70 Japanese bombers hit the 17th Indian Division marching to Akyab. A few P-40E's intercept, but all are shot down by 42 escorting fighters. The bombers cause light casualties to the troops.
  • Around the New Caledonia area, Japanese planes attack numerous Allied task forces. One groups of Ann's does make it through CAP and puts two bombs into the AK Bellatrix and three into the AK Libra, carrying troops for the invasion of Koumac.
  • Japanese combat ships enter Adak Island area to combat the Allied transports unloading, but can't seem to locate them. 48 B-26B's from Dutch Harbor locate the Japanese, however, and score 8 bomb hits on the CL Yubari.
  • East of Lanchow, the Chinese continue to chase retreating Japanese units and force them to fall back even more.
  • Allies make an attack at La Foa, but the Japanese are very well dug in and the attack fails.
  • Tarawa airfield expands to level 3.

Analysis: I decided to press on with both operations.
In Adak Island, my AP's got pounded and I lost almost 20% of the RCT I landed, but the worst part is that I didn't get ashore the amount of supply I needed, so operations are still stalled.
The Americal Division started unloading at Koumac and more is to come, but I discovered that he has a Division (!!) and some smaller infantry units there. My cavalry division is still to hit the beaches, but it may be a losing proposition... Sad. But at least most of the transports were unscathed by his air activity (and lack thereof).
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 27, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 27, 1942

Highlights: Two naval engagements
  • More elements of the Americal Division unload at Koumac. Japanese bombers hit the troops to soften them up a bit and then Japanese troops make a meager attack, but the American beachhead holds.
  • At Adak Island, the Allies move in the BB North Carolina, CA Salt Lake City, CA Vincennes, CL Raleigh and CL Boise to take on the Japanese patrolling those waters. The CL Yubari is pounded and sunk and in several engagements, the DD Shirayuki is sunk and the DD Harusame and DD Yugure are burning and heavily damaged. The Allied ships take a few hits, but none significant.
  • Outside Koumac, a series of bloody naval engagements are held:
    • The BB Hiei, CL Tatsuta and 5 DD take on 6 PT boats. Two PT boats are sunk without any damage to the Japanese.
    • The BB Idaho, BB Mississippi, CL Hobart, CL St. Louis and 6 DD take on the same Japanese TF. In two rounds of combat, all Japanese ships are hit, with the CL Tatsuta, DD Kazegumo DD Oshio sinking; the CL St. Louis heavily damaged and the DD Maury hanging on barely. The Battleships took the least damage.
    • American SBD's and TBF's then go after the BB Hiei and score one torpedo hit.
    • Japanese carrier planes go after the limping CL St. Louis, scoring 5 torpedo hits and sinking her and scoring a torpedo hit on the DD Conyngham.
  • Japanese conduct an air raid on Imphal with almost 100 bombers and almost 40 escorts. The 23 plane CAP intercepts and shoots down 5 fighters and 9 bombers to 7 of their ranks. Moderate damage is done to the airfield.
  • Nells attack the ships at Adak Island, putting a torpedo into the AP Tasker H Bliss and one in the MSW Bayfield, sinking it.
  • Japanese also attack Allied ships at Koumac. The MSW Launceton and MSW Mildura are hit with bombs.
  • Betty's attack transports at Noumea and score four torpedo hits on the AK Antares, sinking her; one on the AK Castor and AK Bridge, and three on the AK Arctic.
  • American planes from Noumea locate a transport TF west of Koumac and connect two bombs on the PG Magan Maru and a bomb and torpedo on the AK Hinode Maru.
  • The SS Guardfish locates a Japanese TF southwest of Adak Island (most probably carriers retiring), and puts a torpedo into the CL Abukama.
  • South of Changsha, a Chinese corps is attacked by two Japanese infantry units, but holds it's position.

Analysis: Looks like I got the better of the naval action, losing a CL and badly damaging a few DD's to his loss of 2xCL and 3xDD, plus whatever will soon sink.
But I still didn't unload the Cavalry division at Koumac (slow AK's?). He did attack me, but with only a few units and it wasn't effective. Why would he attack with just a few units? Maybe he thought I'd come in with more and he'd get a 0-on-1? Or maybe he's low on supply? Hmmm...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
User avatar
n01487477
Posts: 4764
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:00 am

RE: August 27, 1942

Post by n01487477 »

Good action Floyd,
the loss of a few DD's and CL's will be a blow to the Japanese. I hate losing valuable DD's, I guess his CV's have returned to Japan for refitting after the Carrier engagement. From the map at the top of the page, he doesn't seem to have many airfields or planes available in the North.

Pity you didn't have few CA's in the TF mix, I really think they are so much better than CL's for surface combat. I find it tough using the CL's for much, they seem to be too weak to help an invasion as a few shells rip them apart and not enough punch for SC, unless massed together. I use them for some light SC escort duties,never as ASW or AA shields and in a tight hole for SC.

The Japanese have too many of these, and not enough CA's IMO. Oi and Kitakami are the only exception early on, as they have Radar.

On a sideline, can I ask what is your overall strategy ? or is that on a need to know basis ?
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

RE: August 27, 1942

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: n01487477
Good action Floyd,

Thanks. It was a real nail-biter as we went through the turn (we usually run the turn over the phone so we can both get the results at the same time and participate in random baiting and complaining).
the loss of a few DD's and CL's will be a blow to the Japanese. I hate losing valuable DD's, I guess his CV's have returned to Japan for refitting after the Carrier engagement. From the map at the top of the page, he doesn't seem to have many airfields or planes available in the North.

Attu has Nells and A6M2's, which have been ravaging my ships at Adak Island. They're also keeping my carriers far back enough so I don't eat a torpedo...
Pity you didn't have few CA's in the TF mix, I really think they are so much better than CL's for surface combat. I find it tough using the CL's for much, they seem to be too weak to help an invasion as a few shells rip them apart and not enough punch for SC, unless massed together. I use them for some light SC escort duties,never as ASW or AA shields and in a tight hole for SC.

He sunk so many of my CA's, I only have a few left scattered around, unfortunately.
The Japanese have too many of these, and not enough CA's IMO. Oi and Kitakami are the only exception early on, as they have Radar.

I seem to be making a dent in his CA/CL stock. Not enough that I can go wild, but I think it's hampering his operations.
On a sideline, can I ask what is your overall strategy ? or is that on a need to know basis ?

I'm supposed to have a strategy? Since I'm not up against Nemo, I didn't think it was required... [;)]

My strategy for the first few months was to defend the areas I felt he would move against that I didn't want to lose. But it turned out all I was really able to do was slow him down.
I had mixed success with that, slowing him down in Australia, but since he came in with so much, I was overwhelmed.
I really slowed him down at Lunga, forcing several invasions until he finally got me.
In the Aleutians, I stopped his island hopping.
I slowed him down at Luganville and cost him quite a few ships in a big naval action.
I tried at Port Moresby, but that was a flop.
I think he's outstretched now in New Caledonia.

And now on to my second phase, bringing the battle to him.
In Burma, I am marching south. I don't expect to take anything, but I'm forcing him to defend it, stripping other areas and slowing down any other expansion.
In the Aleutians, I am trying to retake lost areas, but I fouled up the logistics and my troops had no supply, so I'm trying to rectify that.
In New Caledonia, I am trying a flanking action, but I think that will fail.
In China, I seem to be making some headway, as he focused North and I focused South. He's ground to a halt and I've made progress.
And now I search the map looking for targets:
[*]Wake: close enough for me to support from Midway, but maybe not of too much value.
[*]Apamama: appears undefended and would put me in range of Kwajalein.
[*]Andaman Island: not sure...
[*]Sumatra/Java: he's pulled out a lot of troops for other action, but it may be a bit gamey, since I really can't support such an operation with LBA.

So that's where I stand. On my heels with the defense and pondering an offense.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 28, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 28, 1942

Highlights: Japanese exact revenge for previous day's sinkings; BB Idaho sunk
  • More US troops unload at Koumac. Despite mine-clearing efforts of the escorting ships, two transports run into mines. The Japanese make another meager attack to repulse the invading troops.
  • Americans make two bomb runs on Gili-Gili with a total of 97 B-24D's, but only slight damage was done to the airbase.
  • Aircraft from Noumea hit two Japanese DD's north of Koumac and both are badly damaged. The DD Samidare takes two bombs and the DD Sagi takes four and sinks.
  • Japanese Nells and carrier planes hit the ships at Adak Island. The AP Tasker H. Bliss takes three torpedoes and sinks; while the MSW Bunbury and MSW Guysborough each take a torpedo and then then bombs from carrier planes, and sink.
  • The Allied capital ships are followed back into Noumea by Japanese carriers and an attack by 17xKate puts three bombs on the deck of the BB Idaho. Then 22xBetty, 26xSally and 16xHelen follow up and put two bombs and a torpedo on the BB Mississippi and a bomb and six torpedoes in the BB Idaho. The BB Idaho suffers severe flooding and cannot make it back to the harbor, sinking.
  • 6 x TBF from Noumea score a bomb hit on the PG Magan Maru, north of Koumac.
  • The Japanese score a bomb hit on the DMS Southard at Koumac, then a torpedo hit on the AK Coast Trader, which still had some troops on it, and finally a bomb on each AK Coast Farmer, AK Stephen J. Field and AK Lipscomb Lykes, also with troops still loaded.
  • South of Changsha, the Japanese attack two Chinese corps attempting to advance the Chinese line. The Japanese attack was repulsed.
  • Northwest of Canton, the Chinese attack again and gain some ground, but suffer over 2000 casualties to only 200+ Japanese.

Analysis: I guess I'm not protected my ships well enough since I'm losing so many now. Losing the Idaho hurt, but I do get the South Dakota and Washington in a little over two weeks, so all is not lost on the BB front.
Otherwise, just another day in paradise...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 29, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 29, 1942

Highlights: Beachheads at Koumac and Adak Island "firm up"
  • More American troops unload at Koumac. The AP Chaumont hits another mine and eventually sinks.
    Near Adak Island, the SS S-33 fires two torpedoes at the damaged CVE Unyo and misses.
  • BB North Carolina, CA Vincennes, CA Salt Lake City and two CL bombard Adak Island and cause moderate damage. The 1st USMC Division attacks, but the defenders don't budge.
  • Japanese carrier planes from the CV Hiryu hit the transports around Adak Island and put two more bombs into the AP Hugh L. Scott, sinking her.
  • The Japanese bomb the airfield at Kweilin and do moderate to serious damage, destroying several Chinese bombers on the ground.
  • Outside Akyab, Beaufort V-IX attack the AK Tran Ninh and score a bomb hit.
  • SBD and TBF from Noumea strike Japanese ships leaving the Koumac area. The PC Kyo Maru #11 takes a bomb hit, the AK Junpo Maru takes two torpedoes and sinks.
  • The Japanese strike back and Ann's score two bomb hits on the AP U.S. Grant at Koumac and two on the AK Aldebaran. The AK Libra takes a torpedo hit. The DD Conyngham at Noumea , which was limping back to port from taking a torpedo two days earlier, takes another torpedo and sinks.
  • Japanese make an attack at Efate, but the defenders are so well dug-in, the attack does nothing except cause over 800 Japanese casualties to just over 100 American.
  • Northwest of Canton, the Chinese attack again, but the Japanese hold.

Analysis: I lost a few transports, but he lost a CL and 3xDD (from previous turn's damage), so I'm slowly breaking down his shipping. He did mention to me that he scuttled the CVL Hosho, but it's not on my VP screen yet.
In the area of the Aleutians, I am inching west to try to cut off his damaged carrier's retreat to the home islands. While he's busy with the Hiryu and Zuikaku hitting my ships at Adak Island, I hope to be finishing off what I damaged before.
Looks like I have a good beachhead at Koumac now, since he's not making any effort to bump me off, so something must be stopping him. I assume it's supply.
I'm not making too much headway at Adak Island, but that's because of low supply again... [:(]
And at Efate, it looks like he's not able to mount enough of an attack to dislodge me. Somehow he thinks he reduced the forts there to 0 and I built them back up. With limited supply and damaged facilities, that's impossible.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 30, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 30, 1942

Highlights: Allied ships hit at Koumac; Japanese defenses at Pakhoi weaken
  • American troops finish unloading at Koumac. The AK Lipscomb Lykes hits a mine.
  • 22xVal and 14xLily from Hong Kong attack the Chinese troops at Pakhoi. 14xHurricane II intercept and shoot down 3 Val (Japanese carrier planes getting “training”). The Chinese troops attack and destroy the remaining fortifications around the city.
  • West of Myitkyina, Allied forces encounter Japanese troops guarding the rail and road leading to the city. 75 Japanese bombers attack the troops and 9 x Buffalo I intercept, shooting down 4 bombers. Light casualties were reported on the ground.
  • Japanese planes attack Allied transports at Koumac. The AP President Hayes takes a bomb, AK Coast Farmer takes 3 bombs, and 7 of the 10 F4F-4's on CAP are shot down (to only 3 Japanese planes downed).

Analysis: All of my troops are on the beach at Koumac and are well-supplied. I am unloading more supplies, but these ships are getting ravaged.
In China, I finally knocked the forts to 0 at Pakhoi. Now I make a push to take the city.
In the Aleutians, I lost track of his carriers, now I'm fishing in the dark for them with my subs and search planes from Dutch Harbor. I don't want to use my carrier planes to search or he'll know I'm sneaking up and I think the Hiryu and Zuikaku are at Attu now getting planes replenished.
My invasion plans are starting to firm up - I'd like to hit three diverse locations at about the same time, but since my coordination skills are a bit lacking, I may just do each whenever it's ready.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

August 31, 1942

Post by floydg »

August 31, 1942

Highlights: Allied transports at Koumac savaged
  • Just South of Honshu, the SS Silversides puts a torpedo into the AK Yoneyama Maru (Coach Z insists it's empty).
  • West of Myitkyina, 7 x Buffalo I covering the Allied ground troops are met by 18 x Tony. Five of the Buffalo's are downed.
  • 42 x B-24D bomb Wake and do minor damage.
  • At Koumac, the American transports still unloading supplies are attacked in numerous waves by Japanese aircraft. Carrier planes hit the APD Calhoun with a torpedo and the AP President Adams with two torpedoes. Then LBA hit and score another torpedo hit on the APD Calhoun and AP J. Franklin Bell; the AP Harris takes two bombs, AP Heywood takes three, AP Henry T. Allen takes one and the AP US Grant takes two. The next wave puts a bomb in the AK Stephen J. Field and three in the AK John Page. Then the AP J. Franklin Bell takes a torpedo from carrier planes. The LBA return with a vengance and put two bombs and torpedo into the AP Harris, a bomb into the AP President Hayes, four bombs into the AP US Grant, tow torpedoes into the DD John Edwards and two torpedoes into the APD Gregory. The DD John Edwards, APD Calhoun, APD Gregory, AP Harris and AK Coast Trader (hit earlier). And in all of that, the entire 11 Wildcat CAP was shot down.
  • In a miscommunication, only a Chinese tank regiment attacks at Pakhoi, while the remaining Chinese bombard. The tank regiment takes a bit of a beating from the defending Japanese.
  • Northest of Yenen, the Chinese make an attack on the Japanese, but the attack is so poorly organized, the Chinese almost never fire a shot while the Japanese take easy target practice on them.

Analysis: I keep losing transports at Koumac. It wouldn't be so bad, but my supply of AP's is seriously dwindling now and I don't get landing craft for another 130+ days... [:(]
I lost track of his fleeing carriers in the Aleutians in the crappy weather. Drat. I'll have to start poking around aimlessly now and hope for a miracle.
My plans for counter-attack invasions are starting to shape up...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

September 1, 1942 -- Burma

Post by floydg »

Here is the situation in Burma:

Image

A = 430 AV of troops headed for Akyab. Akyab has 4 units and under 10,000 spotted troops. This is really a diversion to engage his troops while I move in other areas.
B = 408 AV against a Division, Mixed Brigade and 2 artillery units. This is his way to block me from easy access to Myitkyina, which is fine with me, since it also ties up more troops which could be defending something useful.
C = 640 AV headed into Myitkyina. This is the main attraction (for now).
D = 723 AV of Chinese. I'm not moving them in yet, since I don't want the shock attack (yet). I may move them west and then south against Lashio.

My few fighters are short-ranged and easily out-matched by his Tonys and Tojos.
I'm also thinking of trying to move a few infantry units I have at Imphal south to Mandalay, which should really open things up.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

September 1, 1942

Post by floydg »

September 1, 1942

Highlights: Pakhoi liberated
  • The Japanese begin landing more troops at Efate.
  • West of Myitkyina, 5 x Mohawk IV are met by 17 x Tony and all are shot down.
  • Some bombers attack the port and score a bomb hit on the AV Tangier, which was docked.
  • Japanese bomb Noumea with 76 bombers and 47 escorts. The American can only muster 15 planes as a CAP, but 12 Japanese fighters and 7 bombers are destroyed to a loss of only 7 fighters (and three more destroyed on the ground).
  • An AK is spotted at Akyab and 11 x Beaufort V-IX's attack, escorted by 9 P-40E from the AVG. 12 Tony are protecting the ship and a fighter from each side is downed. The AK Tran Ninh takes 7 bombs and sinks.
  • Japanese carrier planes off the coast of New Caledonia strike the retiring Allied transports, scoring more hits on the AP President Hayes, AP US Grant and AK John Page. The AP US Grant sinks.
  • The Chinese make a big push at Pakhoi and force the Japanese from the city. The Japanese now defend just outside the city.
  • The port of Maizuru expands to level 9.

Analysis: I took Pakhoi quicker than I thought. Not that I'm complaining... I can now shift these troops over to the fight at Canton once I mop up the surviving Japanese (if he doesn't evac them by sea first).
Looks like he knows he can't take me at Efate and has moved in an additional Naval Guard and SNLF unit. I may still hold out there. Once I bump up the supply, I may ferry in some units from Noumea.
I can't seem to do much against his Tony's in Burma. I did shoot one down with the AVG, but they're all in old planes now.

Probably the last post for a few weeks as we travel to Japan (IRL).
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

September 2, 1942

Post by floydg »

September 2, 1942

Highlights: Japanese ML's hit NW of Koumac
  • The Japanese continue to unload troops at Efate.
  • East of Broome, the SS Spearfish puts a torpedo into the AP Kamo Maru just east of Derby. Troops were spotted on the transport.
  • The Japanese bomb Thursday Island, causing slight damage, but downing two P-40E's in the process.
  • NW of Koumac, a TF of several Japanese minelayers is spotted. TBF's from Noumea strike and put a bomb into each of the ML Okinoshima, ML Niizaki and ML Nasami.
  • 26 x Betty and 31 escorts hit American transports at Noumea, putting torpedoes into AP Heywood and AP President Hayes, sinking both. In addition, 6 Allied fighters and 4 Zeros are downed.
  • NE of Yenen, the Japanese attack a single Chinese Corps defending the road into Yenen. Due to logistical confusion, the Chinese have no supply and are easily defeated and withdraw to the west.
  • At Pakhoi, the Chinese attack the Japanese, but are too disorganized to make headway.
  • The port of Vancouver expands to level 7.

Analysis: More troops at Efate - I may not be able to hold it now...
My carriers which were sneaking to intercept his damaged carriers were spotted between the Aleutians and Japan (but south). Drat. Now I'll just pull back, since he still has his un-damaged carriers around and I really don't want to risk a clean 2-on-2 battle.
Looks like he's trying to mine the heck out of Koumac, but I nailed his ML's, hopefully enough.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

September 3, 1942

Post by floydg »

September 3, 1942

Highlights: Japanese ML's North of Koumac sunk
  • More troops unload at Efate.
  • The PC Gaimitsu Maru #1 hits a sub-laid mine at Kiska Island and sinks.
  • In Burma, over troops west of Myitkyina, Allied and Japanese fighters clash. 17 x Tony meet 5 x Mohawk IV and 7 x P-40E of the AVG. All 5 Mohawks are downed and one P-40E, to only two Tony's. The Japanese troops attack and do okay, but the Allies hold their position.
  • 27 x B-24D's bomb Port Moresby, destroying 6 Japanese planes in the air and on the ground, but lose 7 of their own.
  • Japanese ML's north of Koumac are hit again. The ML Tsubame takes a torpedo (sinks later), the ML Okinoshima takes a bomb and torpedo, and the ML Kamome takes five bombs (sinks later).
  • Japanese bomb Noumea, destroying 13 Allied planes in the air and on the ground to 8 Japanese bombers and fighters.
  • A small Japanese transport TF is located at Adak Island and a TBF from the Hornet now based at Dutch Harbor scores a bomb hit on the AK Nagato Maru.

Analysis: He probably laid a bunch if mines at Koumac, but I'm not planning to come in with more troops. I guess this didn't work out as I planned, since I didn't expect him to have a division there. But since it's been a while and he hasn't kicked me out (or even attacked directly), I'm not sure what to make of it.
I still can't seem to get the needed supply up at Adak Island, so this operation is a complete mess. And he may be reinforcing or bringing in more supply, so it's even worse. I gotta make a move soon before winter sets in and then I'm doomed.
I'm thinking to abandon my attack on Akyab, since all I'll be doing is tying up more of my troops in a losing battle, since I'm sure he's brought up lots of reinforcements. I'm worried that too much of my AV would be tangled up in Burma while India is less than well-defended.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

September 4, 1942

Post by floydg »

September 4, 1942

Highlights: Skirmishes in China
  • Still more Japanese troops unload at Efate.
  • An Allied TF (BB, 2xCA, 2xCL, 6xDD) enters the waters around Adak Island and encounters the AK Nagato Maru, previously damaged and sinks her.
  • Allies bomb Port Moresby with 125 bombers. 10 bombers are shot down by CAP and flak, but 9 or more planes are destroyed in the air and on the ground and minor damage is done to the airfield.
  • A Japanese transport TF of at least 5 ships is spotted at Amchitka Island and 19 bombers from Dutch Harbor attack, but score no hits.
  • 44 Japanese bombers hit Efate, do minor damage to the facilities and score a bomb hit on the docked AV Tangier.
  • The Japanese attack at Ichang, but the Chinese hold, despite some destruction of the fortifications.
  • The Japanese also attack at Yenen, similarly reducing the fortifications and not making progress on the defenders.
  • NW of Ichang, some Chinese units cross a river to take up position behind the Japanese.
  • Taipei airfield expanded to level 4 and Nome airfield expanded to level 5.

Analysis: My Chinese defenses at Ichang and Yenen suffered blows with reduced forts in both places, but I'm close to shoring them back up in Yenen. Ichang is a different story and this situation seems iffy.
Efate also is starting to look hopeless.
But on the bright side, my troops are still at Koumac and my plans for some invasions are moving along.
His carriers in the Aleutians area are chasing after mine, so I'm guessing he must have some trick up his sleeve, so I'll retreat to Midway. Running low on fuel anyhow.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

September 5, 1942

Post by floydg »

September 5, 1942

Highlights: Air raid on Noumea hits BB Mississippi
  • Yet more Japanese troops unload at Efate.
  • Japanese bombers attack Noumea. 4 Japanese fighters and 9 bombers are downed to 6 American fighters. The BB Mississippi takes four bomb hits while docked at port. Later, some sub-chasers at Noumea are attacked and for the downing of 4 Zeros, 19 American fighters (out of 22) are flamed and the ships were not hit.
  • Hurricane II's from Nanning hit Japanese transports at Pakhoi. 17 x Tony are covering the ships and 6 Hurricanes (almost half the force) are downed for a few shell hits on the AK Tanishima Maru and a few more plus a bomb on the AK Isuzugawa Maru.
  • The Japanese attack at Koumac, but the Americans have a good beachhead and the defense holds well.
  • NW of Ichang, more Chinese cross the river.
  • The SS Grunion, south of Tokyo, is hit with a bomb from a search plane and must retire.
  • The airfield at Wuchow expands to level 2 and the port at Prince Rupert expands to level 4.

Analysis: My F4F's are getting creamed at Noumea. I don't have too many left in the pool now. Any ideas? I keep facing A6M2's and A6M3's there...
I'll pull out the damaged BB Mississippi and some other damaged ships. Hopefully they'll make it out...
Looks like my carriers will reach Midway (just a day out). He has a sub there, probably either for scouting or minelaying.
And I have my doubts about surviving at Efate now.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
anarchyintheuk
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: September 5, 1942

Post by anarchyintheuk »

If you're not going to use your carriers for a while, you can temporarily downgrade their squadrons or at least have replacements off. Be prepared to have a good USAF fighter squadron available to get the first P38s that's within transfer range of Noumea. Does Noumea's baseforce have radar?

If at all possible don't rely on APs to load/transport supply during invasions. Use them to land troops and then leave immediately. Troop transport (APs) is one of the few bottlenecks materialwise that the Allies have.

Your Aleutian adventure can rely entirely on USAF plane types. It's an excellent area to pressure the IJNAF/IJAAF.

Enjoying the aar.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

RE: September 5, 1942

Post by floydg »

Anarchy -

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

The carrier's fighters won't downgrade to Buffalo, so I found some I was shipping in to the front and I'll unload and downgrade those so I can beef up with more fighters in Noumea. I think my problem is that his main Zero squadron has really high experience (his hero Sakai is a triple-ace).

Noumea has BF's which total 6 radar units. I also have 2 Coastal AA Regiments there.

I have so few AP's, I only use them for troop transport...

So far, the Aleutians has produced the sinking of 2 Japanese CV, 1 CVE (and maybe more); and one American CV sunk and one badly damaged. So it's been a hotbed of activity.

Floyd
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
floydg
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: Middletown, NJ

September 6, 1942

Post by floydg »

September 6, 1942

Highlights: CV Hiyo and CVE Unyo reported sunk; Allied planes pounded at Noumea
  • A TF of American PT boats enter Koumac harbor and the PT PT-36 hits a mine and sinks.
  • Almost 60 Japanese bombers attack Imphal, escorted by 35 fighters meet a CAP of 26 fighters. About half of the defenders are shot down to 10 Japanese. Minor damage is done to the airfield and parked planes.
  • Almost 50 Japanese bombers attack Noumea, escorted by 25 fighters. No Japanese are shot down and over 15 Allied planes are destroyed in the air and on the ground. A second raid of 25 Betty's and 22 Zeros meet only 4 planes on CAP. Four Japanese fighters are downed and almost all Betty's are damaged, but 6 Allied planes are destroyed.
  • SW of Perth, a Japanese carrier appears out of nowhere and strikes the AO Guadalupe, scoring two bomb hits and one torpedo hit.
  • North of Perth, the SS Pickerel scores a torpedo hit on the AP Sunten Maru, which was loaded with troops.
  • Japanese troops at Efate attack, reducing some of the American fortifications, but the defenders hold for now.
  • NW of Canton, the Chinese attack, but make no headway, taking over 1700 casualties to only 500 Japanese.
  • The Chinese attack at Pakhoi and force the Japanese further back in their defenses.
  • East of Canton, a Chinese corps takes on two Japanese armored regiments and is easily beaten back by the armor, having only minimal anti-tank weapons.
  • Spotters at Attu and Kiska report that the CV Hiyo and CVE Unyo sink in those ports, respectively.

Analysis: I'm getting pounded at Noumea and, as reported previously, dipping deep into my replacement pool.
But on the bright side, the CV Hiyo and CVE Unyo were reported sunk, so I almost feel vindicated for losing the CV Hornet. Almost.
And now it looks like he's making an invasion attempt on Perth!! [X(] Ugh... I gotta find a way to shift the initiative...
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”