Japanese R&D

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Uamaga
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:50 pm
Location: Kraków, Poland

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by Uamaga »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

ORIGINAL: Uamaga


There is no die roll involved here: at the moment you gathered 100 prototypes for given a/c its availability date is bumped by one month unconditionally(of course sometimes it can be effectively less then a month - when the "100" is reached just a few days before the original avail date is to come). No random factor at that point. Point. [:)]

This brings me back to my origina question. Why do they arrive anytime during the month when they automatically arrive on the 1st otherwise. The only way this can happen is that a die is rolled everyday duing the month.

Nop. No die roll, sorry. [:)]
Internally it goes more or less like this: every day when R&D factory produces new prototype(s) (it's rare case that single factory create more then one prototype in a day) the (hidden, non visible in game interface) prototype total is increased and when it finally reaches value >= 100 then avail-date is adjusted and prototype total reduced by 100 and then the acumulation cycle restarts.

So why sometimes a/c are entering production in the middle of the month? Easy... Using as example my current game:
I've got Tojos in production (about) 8. June (their original avail-date was 1 July). This happens every time when the last 100 of prototypes is reached in less then a month before a/c avail-date. In my case Tojos apparently reached 100 8th (or rather 7th) of June - at that moment avail-date was moved from 1st July to 1st June (and proto-totals reduced to zero) and next day game found out that Tojos avail-date <= today so Tojo factories went productioin path delivering first machines to IJAF which badly needed them.
In the same game I got Tonys exactly a month earlier (original avail-date 1st Aug, moved to 1st July). it was because I managed to accumulate the 100 of Tojo prototypes more then month before avail-date: I noticed avail-date bump on Replacement Screen around 15th June in this case. There was only about 15 days left which was clearly not enough to gather new 100 of prototypes and get another month of speed bump which would make Tony case looking like Tojo above.
User avatar
rominet
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 pm
Location: Paris

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by rominet »

Strange!!

I have played 2 games as japan with a normal date of released in may 42 for my Tojo.
In April, i had more than 150 Tojo in R§D and however, the Tojo production always began in early may and not in april.[:(]
I had only ONE factory for the Tojo.
Image
Chris21wen
Posts: 7910
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: rominet

Strange!!

I have played 2 games as japan with a normal date of released in may 42 for my Tojo.
In April, i had more than 150 Tojo in R§D and however, the Tojo production always began in early may and not in april.[:(]
I had only ONE factory for the Tojo.

What I think he's saying is you may have 150 Tojo R&D factories but those factories my not have produced 100 (hidden) prototype a/c. Uamaga please correct me if I'm wrong.
User avatar
rominet
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 pm
Location: Paris

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by rominet »

Thanks Chris H, i think i begin to understand.

(I may learn polish language and be better than in english[:D])
Image
User avatar
rominet
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 pm
Location: Paris

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by rominet »

OK, i try to see if i have understood well:

the key of the problem is the number of prototypes produced by R§D factories.
When 100 prototypes have been built, there is a reduction of 1 month.

The trouble is that we don't know how many prototypes are built by a R§D factory.
This is a hidden number.

But, following Uamaga (which confirms once more that he is living inside the computer[;)]),
a R§D factory of (0)x30 is producing 30 prototypes a month.
But, strangely, a R§D factory of (0)x320 is producing only 40 prototypes a month.

So, my question, how do you know that? What is the logic of a so illogical results?

Moreover, it seems that a R§D factory begins to produce prototypes when it is completely
repaired. So, this is an other reason to prefer small R§D factories.

Am I wrong?
Image
Uamaga
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:50 pm
Location: Kraków, Poland

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by Uamaga »

ORIGINAL: rominet
OK, i try to see if i have understood well:

the key of the problem is the number of prototypes produced by R§D factories.
When 100 prototypes have been built, there is a reduction of 1 month.

The trouble is that we don't know how many prototypes are built by a R§D factory.
This is a hidden number.

But, following Uamaga (which confirms once more that he is living inside the computer[;)]),
a R§D factory of (0)x30 is producing 30 prototypes a month.
But, strangely, a R§D factory of (0)x320 is producing only 40 prototypes a month.

Moreover, it seems that a R§D factory begins to produce prototypes when it is completely
repaired. So, this is an other reason to prefer small R§D factories.

Am I wrong?

Wow! Great summary. Looks to me that you are perfectly correct! [:)]
One point which must be made is that it is not commonly accepted knowleadge and many experienced palyers - whom I respect but with whom I dare to disagree - have different ideas on that subject.


So, my question, how do you know that? What is the logic of a so illogical results?

Well everything is a matter of time (lot of time) and persistance...
As of logic behind it I can only guess designer/programmer ideas but I would say that in the research phase quantity does not matter as much as quality. So not the number of hands on factory lines but number of heads over designer boards - which probably does not differ that much with factory size.
At least that would be my line of defense if I had to explain what I did to my project manager [:)]

ORIGINAL: rominet
(I may learn polish language and be better than in english[:D])
Polish languish iz heavi languish [:D]

User avatar
rominet
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 pm
Location: Paris

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by rominet »

OK, thanks Uamaga for your explanation about a such dark system.
It was one of the last thing i didn't understand at all at WitP.
And if your theory [:D] is as good as it was for oil and resource destruction, it is a great progress for Japan.


"Polish languish iz heavi languish " you said:

hum, i found an other solution: Learn french[;)]
Image
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by Shark7 »

So, in a very basic breakdown of what you've said here...
&nbsp;
I am better off to have several factories set at R&D ~30 than to have 2-3 big ones at 300.&nbsp; Does that sum it up?
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Uamaga
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:50 pm
Location: Kraków, Poland

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by Uamaga »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

So, in a very basic breakdown of what you've said here...

I am better off to have several factories set at R&D ~30 than to have 2-3 big ones at 300.  Does that sum it up?

Yes. If you decide to R&D given model you will get much better results with five factories of size 30 then one of size 300. In any case however R&D factories will first have to spent lot of time in the (slow and random) process of repairing itself.
Chris21wen
Posts: 7910
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Uamaga

It turns out that for small factories (up to size 30) number of prototypes produced - is as expected - roughly equal the size of factory. Factories of size above 30 bring very little in terms of R&D (and of course cost more supply to be repaired). I tested in particular big R&D factory of size 320 (fully repaired) - it was delivering below 40 prototypes per month (it was long time ago - don't have exact number at hand). In short costly (supply) and completely inefficient.

How did you work this out if the prototypes are hidden?
Uamaga
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:50 pm
Location: Kraków, Poland

RE: Japanese R&D

Post by Uamaga »


40ty (actually below 40) is just an estimation confirmed by few tests run with 5-10 factories of that size for number of days noticing days when avail-date was reduced.

If you ask in general how I come to the concept of "hidden" prototype counter then well, as I said it took lot of time and some programmer skills were the key. Actually if I remember correctly the quote form manual (13.2.4) was the starting point for my search. And it (the quote) wasn't that much off afterall [:D]
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”