The other day, I was sitting at my computer and lamenting the fact that I did not have a single good game to play...I remembered back to my days playing AH games with my father, when I was about 6 or 7 back in the early '70s--he beat the crap outta me for years until one glorious day in Stalingrad, about 20 years ago...hehehe! Anyway, I went searching the internet for a demo of something that was like those old AH games and stumbled across SP:WAW!
I cannot tell you how happy I was to find such a fine game, similar to AH:ASL and Panzer Leader, etc....added bonus was the "basic" game being FREE...all I have to say is BLESS THE WAR GODS for this game! I give gracious kudos to Matrix Games and all you fellows out there that contributed to such a wonderful endeavour!
I have played every spare moment for the last few days (not as much as that sounds like, as I don't have a huge amount of free time)! I needed a game that was not RTS (which I frankly find to be simple click-fests with the goal of getting to that last structure first so I can build "uber-tank-X" before the AI--blech!). I can play and go AFK for long periods or simply save it for a late night turn later. This game has it all in that regard--in a nutshell--IT ROCKS!
I am still learning, but my old ASL days are helping a lot...
QUESTION 1: How many of you play with C2 turned on? I find it quite difficult to master this aspect of the game, as my units keep getting mixed up in the fight...I find it hard to keep track of units in the same HQ structure, as the amber unit "+"'s are so small--is there another way to keep track of the units in the same command that I am missing somewhere (I know about the command screen, etc.)? Right now, I prefer to just keep that option turned off...
I have played the tutorials and pretty much beat them with either crushing victories or draws :p --although those Japanese were a real pain to root outta that island, my poor marines...hehe!
I found my first BIG scenario that I want to try last night--the "Blood and Honor" scenario that takes place in Kharkov...that looks MEGA fun, but it is HUGE...all those units....YIKES!
QUESTION 2: Is there some trick to keeping track of a huge group of units like that, or is it just slow going (looks like over 100 or so--add in off map arty and WOW!)? I suspect that this battle will keep me busy for months...lol!
Also, once I feel a little more confident, I will try some PBEM rounds and get handed my @$$ by a couple of you, I am sure
Anyhow, I look forward to hanging out here and getting to know the game and my fellow gamers over the coming months!
=============
Victor Von Doom




