F/O or F/O Jeep?

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
John Galt
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Salem, NH, USA
Contact:

F/O or F/O Jeep?

Post by John Galt »

What is the advantage of using an F/O Jeep? Playing as the USA. Does the F/O get in the jeep or is there one in there that can't get out of the jeep? Does the jeep F/O have the same response time advantages as the F/O?
Experience is the teacher that gives the test first and the lesson last.

John Galt
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rbrunsman »

If you buy an FO Jeep you get greatly increased mobility obviously, but you are quite easy to spot and a spotted spotter is a dead spotter as far as I'm concerned. I stick with the foot FOs. They perform the same functions. FO Jeeps trade stealth for movement. Jeeps are rather easy to destroy too. Whereas foot FOs can be difficult to root out of rough terrain even if they do get spotted. I just fired everything I had at an FO in a rough hex that has overwatch on the whole southern front and I only succeeded in routing him, no casualties. :mad: I'm sure a jeep would have been a burning heap in no time.

Only get the FO jeep if you must have the mobility! IMHO anyway.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
G_X
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by G_X »

I agree, Foot F/O's have served me much better.

Of course most of the time I use my commanders (Platoon LTs, Tank LTs, so on) So that I have direct accuracy along the front where I need it.

F/O's can be kindof hard to place sometimes too.
If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0
User avatar
Jim1954
Posts: 1295
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Dallas

Post by Jim1954 »

I buy foot FO's and buy some sort of transport to get them close to where they can actually see the enemy. Then dismount and use the expendable transport as a fire attracter away from my FO.
Image
Jim1954
KMC/T
Hades
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Hades »

Remember also keep a FO next to your HQ. That way itll neve be out of contact.
"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris


Image
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbar ... tual-b-o-b
User avatar
Jim1954
Posts: 1295
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Dallas

Post by Jim1954 »

I usually buy some with support points, those are my forward , FO's. They still seemed to get whacked a lot but the bring in more damage than they suffer.
Image
Jim1954
KMC/T
User avatar
bigtroutz
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Montana, USA

Re: F/O or F/O Jeep?

Post by bigtroutz »

Originally posted by John Galt
What is the advantage of using an F/O Jeep? Playing as the USA. Does the F/O get in the jeep or is there one in there that can't get out of the jeep? Does the jeep F/O have the same response time advantages as the F/O?
I buy FO Jeeps to move with my Jeep 60mm mortars and other mobile Arty. When i need to move my jeep-mortars, i can move their FO jeep with them to keep them 'in contact' Response time is equal to leg-FO, as far as i have observed. The FO jeep observer is integrated, but you could buy a jeep and a leg fo to put in it for about the same price.

Keep in mind that (I believe) arty units in a rough line of sight cluster or 6 hex cluster around the FO seem to be available to fire MUCH more often than scattered units. Because this cluster makes such a juicy counter-battery target, I often will shoot and scoot, which is much easier with a jeep FO.

I agree that FO Jeeps are far too vulnerable to use as actual front line observers unless you like to live dangerously.

I also buy leg FO for my leg arty units, and I like the Brit Lynx FO because it has pretty good armor and a useful MG. I haven't noticed enough difference between the kill rate of FO LOS directed arty vs behind the lines, non-los FO arty to make placing an FO close to the action worthwhile but i could be convinced it makes a difference. Perhaps the Brit Lynx FO has enough beef to try it W/O getting zapped so easily.
Image
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”