Spend points on what ??

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Jeffery1965
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:01 pm
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Spend points on what ??

Post by Jeffery1965 »

I have started to play PBEM and usually with scenario where by the forces already selected ..no problem on that ...

But when using points to spend , to buy forces , I am a bit confuse here..

Click on the armor , infantry , art list , there are so many types ?? what should I buy ...why kind of selection ??

Can someone help out ??
Jeffery Lau

Wargames is a game of chess with extra rules
Hades
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Hades »

what country are you? Who are you playing? what does the map you like?
"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris


Image
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbar ... tual-b-o-b
Jeffery1965
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:01 pm
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Post by Jeffery1965 »

Usually on the German side ...sometimes Russian...

maybe I am not familiar with the types of forces.. example when I try to choose the type of art ..there are so many types ...


Hope someone can give me a general guide on this ...........
Jeffery Lau

Wargames is a game of chess with extra rules
Hades
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Hades »

Well there are several type of arty.
Arty
Mortars- which are good for supressing stuff, but the Russian 120mm is very good at taking out tanks. exe 81mm, 4.2in
Howitzers- ob board guns kinda like mortars, exe. 75mm 76.2
off board- is usually big guns. exe 155mm 210mm 8inch
ROCKETS- awesome weapons if you have an ammo dump. kills inf by the score. exe 4.5 inch Nebelwufer

As you know artys main goal is supression, but kills are welcome.

Tanks
There is mainly three types of tanks. Main battle tanks, tank destoryers, and suport tanks
MBTs- alround tanks. good for taking out other tanks and inf. exe M4 Sherman, Tiger
Tank Destoryers- usually lightly armored moble at guns. exe Wolverine, Elefant
support tanks- good for killing inf not has good for killing tanks. M4 105, Stugs

Tanks alway need to be supported by inf

Inf

Rifle inf is just generic inf for each country
Special forces- are squads that can infiltrate across the battle field. exe Rangers, SAS, Commandos


uhmmm anything else?

hope i helped a little
"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris


Image
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbar ... tual-b-o-b
G_X
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by G_X »

Just be like me, forget the infantry and buy Tanks (*thinks he gave away hsi plan to Hades about what he's gonna do in their PBEM game*) Speaking o' which Hades, mail's back up, for today at least, I'll jet you off my set up tonight.
If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0
Hades
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Hades »

Don't listen to G_X you need combined arms. I'll be waiting.
"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris


Image
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbar ... tual-b-o-b
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Another Tip:

Post by rbrunsman »

If you are playing a country you are unfamiliar with, make sure you set up a dummy game and buy a sample of anything you are interested in and then check the detailed specifications of each unit. I played the Brits in my first PBEM (and I never play the Brits in solo play) and I selected several platoons of special ops forces and it turned out their sub-MGs only fired 2 hexes! :eek: :mad: The same thing happened with those stupid PIATs the Brits use. I could never get close enough to the Tigers I was fighting because my opponent used infantry support to protect them. An unsupported Tiger is going to be a dead Tiger. That was my fault for making assumptions. Keep in mind: Just because something costs more points does not make it better in every situation.

It also pays to look at what units your opponent is likely to select and then make your selections accordingly.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
User avatar
KG Erwin
Posts: 8366
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cross Lanes WV USA

Choosing core forces--

Post by KG Erwin »

Jeffery, I'd recommend checking out Larry Holt's tactics guide for some general info on picking core forces. For a campaign, a combined arms battalion combat team is the only way to go. For a particular scenario, consider the mission, the enemy, and the terrain. I hate to be so vague, but for someone who's not really sure what to buy, maybe you should play a PBEM scenario with a third-party to choose forces for BOTH sides. That could level the field a bit, if the opponents have unequal game experience.
Image
G_X
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by G_X »

Yeah Hades and when my Panzers roll on over you...

We'll see, actually, I'm not worried about losing though. And I have support for my tanks! You'll see.
If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0
Jeffery1965
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:01 pm
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Post by Jeffery1965 »

Thanks for response ...

I really should have study the individual type of forces and see what they can do

being from Asian country , knowledge about WW2 forces are really limited ...
Jeffery Lau

Wargames is a game of chess with extra rules
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”