Turning Weapons ON/OFF

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
antarctic
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Australia

Turning Weapons ON/OFF

Post by antarctic »

A long standing SP mystry of mine.......

I've heard alot about turning weapons (eg main gun of a tank, or a few tubes of arty) on and off. How can you do that??


Thanks in advance

Antarctic
"Quantity has a quality of its own"
-Stalin
User avatar
KG Erwin
Posts: 8366
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cross Lanes WV USA

Here's what you do...

Post by KG Erwin »

...right-click on a unit. The info screen for that unit is displayed. You can click on the weapons list on the unit. Once it's highlighted in red, it will NOT be fired during your turn, or in opportunity fire. If you have MG units with a secondary rifle/carbine, set the secondary weapons OFF. You want the maximum amount of automatic firepower in a game like this. You may also want to do this with 50mm or 60mm mortar units. It all depends on how you want to use the units . SPWaW is a battalion-level WWII simulation, and is designed to reflect realistic combined-arms tactical warfare in that time-frame. Get Larry Holt's tactics guide--it covers just about everything you need to know to play SPWaW successfully. I will also say that this IS my favorite wargame of all time, bar none, given its flexibility for scenario design, and its sheer brilliance in getting YOU, the commander , directly involved in the battles in any way you see fit to choose.
Image
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Just a follow-up on the obvious. Right-clicking on your opponent's units will NOT allow you to turn off his weapons. Darn! :p
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

Post by chief »

And to add to Capt Pixels dam, double dam if you forget to turn it (the quiet gun) back on because if you meet another tank later and your main gun is off, welllllllllllll..........:( :o :eek:
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Originally posted by chief
And to add to Capt Pixels dam, double dam if you forget to turn it (the quiet gun) back on because if you meet another tank later and your main gun is off, welllllllllllll..........:( :o :eek:
Yeah, I REALLY hate that.
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

Post by chief »

whooo that hurts capt. been there, done that and hate yourself for doing it. tsk tsk....by the way I see I'm not the only one.:D :D :rolleyes: :)
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by Capt. Pixel »

It happens that I almost did that very same thing in a battle I'm playing tonight. I almost didn't get that second set of artillery tubes turned back on before the first set was emptied. :o
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
G_X
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by G_X »

During my North Africa campaign I'm doing (As Germany, Vs. Brits so far) I try to turn my main guns off, mostly because the computer chooses lots of infantry, and I'll send a few tanks forward (A platoon of III's usually) with just their MGs on to break enemy defense lines.
If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0
antarctic
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Australia

Post by antarctic »

Ahhhh...... I see.... thanks for enlightening me, guys....

Hmmm... About that North Africa campaign.... I've been doing a Germany vs. Poland campaign, and I went tank heavy, and I still fired the main gun. It seems that HE rounds do real well against massed infantry (if you get within two hexes of the target, I think). Flamethrowers are even better.......

As a spin off, can you decide wheter a HE/HEAT round is fired, or an AP round is fired in SPWAW, or is it automatically decided for you??


Thanks guys

Antarctic
"Quantity has a quality of its own"
-Stalin
User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

Post by chief »

ANT. Unfortunately it is automatic, (Hard) targets ie: tanks, HT and some bunkers use AP ammo, (Soft) targets, ie: men, trucks, AT guns MGS used HE ammo. You must watch ALL AMMO supply or ...............:eek: :rolleyes: :cool:
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
G_X
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by G_X »

Tanks are OK with their main gun against infantry, yeah, but my MGs are more accurate and get better kills because of the MG physics (The computer always moves it's infantry more than one hex in a turn, making the MGs very effective) And it being 41 with basically just PzIII's and 4 PzIV's, the Fire Control ratings aren't that great, affecting the Main Gun accuracy, I prefer the MGs for Infantry or Soft Target killing.
If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0
antarctic
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Australia

Post by antarctic »

Thanks guys....
You must watch ALL AMMO supply or ...............


hehe... :-)


Antarctic
"Quantity has a quality of its own"
-Stalin
User avatar
stevemk1a
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Penticton B.C.

Post by stevemk1a »

If you have MG units with a secondary rifle/carbine, set the secondary weapons off

By KG Erwin.

Very interesting! does doing that increase the amount of opfires that the MG will take? In other words, is the secondary weapon fire counted in some way against the fire rate of the primary weapon? If so, this would be a good practice for MG units facing a distant foe against which rifle fire would be ineffective. I'm always amazed by the depth of this game... :)
G_X
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by G_X »

Yes, if the MG crew taks an Op Fire that's a rifle shot, it loses an opfire chance for all weapons, mostly it's MG.

I always turn my rifle off on my MG squads.
If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”