Fewer PC retail games available

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by JudgeDredd »

Apparently "non active" in the download version. It's certainly not showing up in my services or harware (not even hidden).
 
But I know what you mean.
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
decaro
Posts: 4004
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:05 pm
Location: Stratford, Connecticut
Contact:

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
... I used to go to my local Electronique Boutique store (then to Game when they changed hands) every Friday to see what new games were out...I always looked forward to a Friday lunchtime. Now, it's never worth it. Either it's the same old crap or it's a new game but, well...the same old crap!

Same here, so the clerk suggested I go to GameStop on-line; there I saw a stand-alone expansion to CoH and Codename Panzers: Cold War, both soon to be released.

Otherwise, I saw several new copies of Empire TW, but the graphic demands and HD space would tax my machine, so I went for CiC 2009.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
User avatar
V22 Osprey
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Corona, CA

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by V22 Osprey »

I think thst the reason console games are taking over is one thing:easier to make.

Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.

For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated.

Also its because people want instant action, and most computers can't handle the level of actiony detail people want.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Not my experience. The ratio of PC to console games on sale in the shops has been more or less constant here for several years.
Many game stores in Finland have gone under and replaced by others. At least one store that has been around over 5 years still has about same # of PC games seems to have stayed equal. There are used games too for very reasonable prices. It seems that all the PC games outnumber at least Wii games [:D]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Hanal
Posts: 2295
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:08 am

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by Hanal »

Along similiar lines, I have noticed standard DVD shelf space declining as console games, and Blue Ray DVDs expand their borders....
User avatar
decaro
Posts: 4004
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:05 pm
Location: Stratford, Connecticut
Contact:

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
I think thst the reason console games are taking over is one thing:easier to make.

Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.

For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated ...

Also, they probably don't have to Beta test as much for the console.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
User avatar
hadberz
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Moncks Corner, SC

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by hadberz »

Another reason is people like me who can't be bothered to look for a game in stores. I order all my games online including cd/dvds, plus the price is a lot cheaper.
AMD Ryzen 9800X3D
MSI MPG X870E CARBON
32 GB G-Skill Model DDR5 6400
Sapphire Nitro X 9070 XT 16GB
AOC Q27G3XMN 2560X1440 180 Hz
Dell G2724D 2560x1440 165Hz
Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M.2 NVMe
Win 11 Pro
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by Goblin »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I think thst the reason console games are taking over is one thing:easier to make.

Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.

For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated.

Also its because people want instant action, and most computers can't handle the level of actiony detail people want.

They're still making the games though. They just aren't stocking them in the stores that you would expect to find them in. Best Buy still has a large selection, but who knows for how long?


Goblin
User avatar
V22 Osprey
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Corona, CA

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: Goblin
ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I think thst the reason console games are taking over is one thing:easier to make.

Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.

For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated.

Also its because people want instant action, and most computers can't handle the level of actiony detail people want.

They're still making the games though. They just aren't stocking them in the stores that you would expect to find them in. Best Buy still has a large selection, but who knows for how long?


Goblin

I think it will be awhile, Best buy still has fairly old titles still there so I think they will have a nice selection for a while since they keep their games.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by Adam Parker »

I'll never forget the day I saw Steel Panthers 1 in a game store (packed with business shoppers at lunch time). I fell in love with those then mind-blowing, gorgeous graphics immediately.

On my next visit, I bought the game. I didn't have a PC to play it with yet!

Thing is, little did we know in the mid 90's how much game AI's sucked. We were full of hope. Naive with excitement.

And the industry has left us holding the ball since.

*****

I also remember the day when I saw Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge board game (the 1967 version no less) in a mainstream department store. But that company left us holding the ball too when it moved to paper maps.

History always repeats in the consumer world.
User avatar
goodwoodrw
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:19 pm

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by goodwoodrw »

The whole PC software industry only has its self to blame. I can remember all those years ago when when QQA released War in the South Pacific ( something like that), the Australian release had a major bug, you couldn't save the game something like that, it wasn't playable out of the box, in the days before the internet and d/l patches, you were at the mercy of the distributor. I remember ringing the distributor's office after reading about a patch in a magazine, he told me he couldn't give a stuff and he had more important things to do than worrying about a patch. At that time I thought software piracy should become a legitimate business.[;)] The truth s most software houses, distributors and retailers still have the same attitude today. Mind you, the console industry probably isn't much better.
Formerly Goodwood

User avatar
decaro
Posts: 4004
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:05 pm
Location: Stratford, Connecticut
Contact:

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

... On my next visit, I bought the game. I didn't have a PC to play it with yet!

Thing is, little did we know in the mid 90's how much game AI's sucked. We were full of hope. Naive with excitement ...


*****
I also remember the day when I saw Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge board game (the 1967 version no less) in a mainstream department store. But that company left us holding the ball too when it moved to paper maps ...

I've played several Bulge sims, but I am still patiently waitng for what I hope to be the best of the bunch; BftB.

For years I had a laptop for schoolwork and the such, but used a console for gaming; then I finally decided to give the console to my nephew and invest in a desktop because back then real gamers played computer games.

And now look what's happening to gaming [X(]
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
User avatar
doomtrader
Posts: 5319
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:21 am
Location: Poland
Contact:

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by doomtrader »

BASB,
Do you think why they started to add hard drive to consoles?
 
Anyway, I understand that the new games can came out with some bugs. They are huge, complicated and developer has got limited possibility to test the game in different settings, harware etc.
But games should be patched ASAP.
User avatar
Lützow
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by Lützow »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Apparently "non active" in the download version. It's certainly not showing up in my services or harware (not even hidden).

But I know what you mean.

Black Shark is available on vedor shelves here and I'm still sitting on the fence. [:)]

How about the campaign, are there linked missions, does it feel involving and realistic? I would appreciate something like Falcon 4 had to offer, but never could get into Il-2, as the overall feeling was too generic and bland for my taste.
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: hadberz

Another reason is people like me who can't be bothered to look for a game in stores. I order all my games online including cd/dvds, plus the price is a lot cheaper.
Cheaper? I ordered Starshatter 4 and paid it with wire transfer. Cost me over 50 €!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
User avatar
Jeffrey H.
Posts: 3154
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: San Diego, Ca.

RE: Fewer PC retail games available

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: hadberz

Another reason is people like me who can't be bothered to look for a game in stores. I order all my games online including cd/dvds, plus the price is a lot cheaper.
Cheaper? I ordered Starshatter 4 and paid it with wire transfer. Cost me over 50 €!


I used to have a good time combind the bargain bins at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for old software. Picked up some great deals. Nowadays those bins don't contain any old PC games.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”