cost of buying from matrix

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by JudgeDredd »

I may well have a different definition to you with regards to supporting our hobby Sarge...but mine is one which involves purchasing games I like...most of them are full price. Very seldom do I "bargain bin" hunt.

I obviously don't know what your definition is, but if it's different to the one I just stated, then you are correct.

As for Perturabos comment you bold typed...what exactly is wrong with that statement? I don't buy a new game unless it's at the price point I can afford and something I am going to enjoy. You can take that whatever way you want. Spin it if you want...but I've spent in excess of £15,000 on my hobby over the last 15 years.
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

As for Perturabos comment you bold typed...what exactly is wrong with that statement? I don't buy a new game unless it's at the price point I can afford and something I am going to enjoy. You can take that whatever way you want. Spin it if you want...but I've spent in excess of £15,000 on my hobby over the last 15 years.

Nothing is wrong with his statement, I just don’t agree ………its that simple Judge

Your free to continue the campaign to enlighten Matrix on the benefits of outsourcing their production to China for cheaper /“twice as less” titles to your hearts content .

Good luck [;)]

User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by JudgeDredd »

lmao. I love it that you think I have an agenda Sarge, but really...I'm not that deep.

Some of Matrix games are a bit on the pricey side...but if I'm interested in the game, then I'll pay it. Hell I've even taken a couple of titles that I thought I should steer clear of (Kharkov Disaster on the Donetz was one). Some purchases I've regretted and most I haven't.

Bottom line...Matrix can sell their games for what they like and if I like a the sound of a game and I have the money, I'll buy. If either of those two criteria are not met, I don't buy. It's truly that simple.

I don't shop anywhere else for Matrix Games...I buy them right here.
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
SuluSea
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:13 pm

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I don't shop anywhere else for Matrix Games...I buy them right here.


I'm with you. I'm strapped for cash but I don't mind paying an extra $10 for the customer service Matrix offers to go along with this weboard that Matrix offers free of charge to use as an outlet to communicate with the developers, staff and other people around the globe that share our passion. You can't put a price on the last point. Seems some folks think this board is an outlet to take shots at Matrix for their policies.

This can't afford it is well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bullstuff.

I doubt there are many members on this board that are struggling from a financial point of view more than me but somehow I manage to save to get the games I want. It's all about choices, cut out a few McDonalds trips and you'll have a game you want in no time. There is nothing that gives you more bang for the entertainment dollar than a wargame from Matrix.
[:)]
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
User avatar
Lützow
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Germany

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by Lützow »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I don't shop anywhere else for Matrix Games...I buy them right here.

Same for me.

I'm happy they carried over the legacy of Talonsoft and like the attitude at this forum. How Erik cares about customer concerns, dev's participation and longtime support, the lack of DRM nuisances and a steady flow of new releases. The majority of games on my hard disk are from Matrix nowadays and I don't mind paying a bit more if it helps to keep them going.
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
...This can't afford it is well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bullstuff.
...
I wouldn't say that exactly. Some people have and idea of what they think is expensive and what is not. Doesn't mean it's a crap idea...just different to others.
Alba gu' brath
trauth116
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by trauth116 »

The digital download model works where there is affordable and unmetered (or generously metered) bandwidth, which isn't the case in Australia (thanks to Telstra as well as the outdated infrastructure that passes as "state of the art" down here- which in reality means that the size of a game can be a big hit to the metered plans, which are pretty much universal here (I miss my cable ISP :( ).

Anyway, the discussion is one that I find pretty interesting in that a lot of people gripe about the postage costs, when in fact it is increasing postage costs combined with the dynamics of the exchange rates. Then throw in the limited to non-existence of brick and mortar type retail outlets- and it becomes a general business problem for any game publisher. (Just my 5 cents (no such thing as 1 cent pieces here in Oz). :)
Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
User avatar
Qwixt
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:33 am

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by Qwixt »

For what it's worth, I typically will not pay more than about $50 for a boxed version of the game. I was looking at CC:TLD, and once I rang it up including delivery, it came out to $60+ to my door, which is not worth it to me. I am considering the digital download, but I like manuals, and not having to print them. Also, to be honest, I don't see value in paying brand new price for a repackaged old game. Really seems like a rip off to me.
User avatar
Doggie
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Under the porch
Contact:

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by Doggie »

Just because Matrix doesn't have any retail outlets don't mean there's no overhead.

You don't expect Rutkins to fly coach do you? He needs that private jet so he can arrive at game conventions in Hawaii rested and refreshed. David Heath has an extended family and that thirty bedroom retreat at Hyannis port also doubles as a convention center. And don't think von Martial's castle in Garmisch-Partenkirchen cleans itself. Servants and ladies in waiting need to be paid.

It's an international corporation and expenses come with the territory.
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by Charles2222 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
...This can't afford it is well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bullstuff.
...
I wouldn't say that exactly. Some people have and idea of what they think is expensive and what is not. Doesn't mean it's a crap idea...just different to others.
You have to remember there have been those at this website who claim that they would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for WITP, and yet haven't given Matrix an extra dime for buying it. I think the intent is to try to claim the price for WITP was cheap, so somebody else shouldn't hesitate to buy it, but, naturally, until you see them do precisely what those sort of people say, you know they're judgement is lousy.
User avatar
SuluSea
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:13 pm

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

You have to remember there have been those at this website who claim that they would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for WITP, and yet haven't given Matrix an extra dime for buying it.

Am I correct in assuming you believe only bitter people or folks that like to gripe and moan are allowed to post their thoughts on a title?

Whatever the cost of AE I'll be buying it. If it costs $200 I'll be making a purchase of the game the day it's released.
I think the intent is to try to claim the price for WITP was cheap, so somebody else shouldn't hesitate to buy it,
And this benefits the person taking time to write this how? Another school of thought could be some who have made the purchase are happy with the replay value that WITP gives, I was a skeptic myself until I took the plunge during the Christmas sale and saw that the game is worth much more than I paid for it. I expect the same for AE. Whatever Matrix asks for the title they'll be shortchanging themselves considering the level of work put into the game and competence of the team members. From the outside looking in it looks like their labor of love.

but, naturally, until you see them do precisely what those sort of people say, you know they're judgement is lousy.

[X(] Thanks for the chuckle.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
User avatar
105mm Howitzer
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:13 am
Location: Montreal, Quebec

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

I'm with you. I'm strapped for cash but I don't mind paying an extra $10 for the customer service Matrix offers.

My feelings exactly, and I'm speaking from experience. I posted a ( pretty desperate) thread explaining how Digital River AGAIN seemed to have lost my M.O. Erik came out of nowhere, and offered his time to try and solve my problem...Hot damn, 72 hours later, my order has been processed. Today, I received the game. Did I pay a lot ? Probably, compared to what this would cost out of China ( or Bagladesh, Malaysia, etc..) Am I satisfied ? Hell yes....Service is still king for a lot of people, even if it costs a little more. Would I get this response from some Chinese sweatshop? You answer that one.
Cheers
Mc
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by Charles2222 »

Am I correct in assuming you believe only bitter people or folks that like to gripe and moan are allowed to post their thoughts on a title?

Whatever the cost of AE I'll be buying it. If it costs $200 I'll be making a purchase of the game the day it's released.
You got me completely wrong on that one. I was basically complaining against those who try to persuade others to buy beyond their means, just because they claim they're willing to pay hundreds of dollars, as though there's some prize to be awarded for bragging how much one would be willing to pay, and yet don't have the conviction to back their brags by contributing to Matrix the amount -over- what the company will charge. It's a very hollow brag if Matrix doesn't get any more money out of such a person, because if one limits one's self to what the company will charge, and claim you will meet it, any fool knows they're not going to ask hundreds of dollars for it. End result achieves just making those of lesser means feel like a heel, but putting a little thought into the reality of all that bragging, should get them to being ashamed of such people instead.
And this benefits the person taking time to write this how? Another school of thought could be some who have made the purchase are happy with the replay value that WITP gives, I was a skeptic myself until I took the plunge during the Christmas sale and saw that the game is worth much more than I paid for it.
Actually, I found the opposite to be the case, but let's see what further you have said.
I expect the same for AE. Whatever Matrix asks for the title they'll be shortchanging themselves considering the level of work put into the game and competence of the team members. From the outside looking in it looks like their labor of love.
How does it benefit the braggart? Oh, it must give them a sense of superiority. Either that, or more likely they think the hobby will be benefitted by more copies being sold by such pressure. You can be happy with a purchase, many do so, without bragging how much one would put into somebody else's pocket, and then not doing so, because nothing is stopping them from doing just that. In fact, if AE costs $50, and you're keen on sales being built, why not put your money where your mouth is and not only give them the $200 you claim you would pay by donating as I thought before, but better yet, why not buy 4 copies? Come on, you can start a tidal wave of people backing their brags!
[X(] Thanks for the chuckle.
Glad to do it.
User avatar
Perturabo
Posts: 2461
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:32 pm
Contact:

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

I was not suggesting anything, I simply responded to Perturabo comment below and his position of “Whatever” I want cheap or no support !

China or bust…………………[:D]
It's not cheap. I still have to work more than a westerner to buy them. The book is two times less expensive, but the wages in the west are more than two times higher.
User avatar
SuluSea
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:13 pm

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

You got me completely wrong on that one. I was basically complaining against those who try to persuade others to buy beyond their means, just because they claim they're willing to pay hundreds of dollars, as though there's some prize to be awarded for bragging how much one would be willing to pay,

I'm buying beyond my means, I save to get the titles I want.
and yet don't have the conviction to back their brags by contributing to Matrix the amount -over- what the company will charge. It's a very hollow brag if Matrix doesn't get any more money out of such a person, because if one limits one's self to what the company will charge, and claim you will meet it, any fool knows they're not going to ask hundreds of dollars for it. End result achieves just making those of lesser means feel like a heel, but putting a little thought into the reality of all that bragging, should get them to being ashamed of such people instead.

You call it bragging? I can't speak for anyone else but coming from me it's written in the spirit of appreaciation for the work and effort that Matrix, the developers, artists and testers put forth. Some people are happy with their purchases and convey it by using the forum. They are as valid as the people that piss and moan about things .
Actually, I found the opposite to be the case, but let's see what further you have said.
Who was it that said " if everyone thinks alike someone is not thinking"? You're certainly entitled to your opinion however I think your accusations against other members of this forum are false.

How does it benefit the braggart? Oh, it must give them a sense of superiority. Either that, or more likely they think the hobby will be benefitted by more copies being sold by such pressure. You can be happy with a purchase, many do so, without bragging how much one would put into somebody else's pocket, and then not doing so, because nothing is stopping them from doing just that. In fact, if AE costs $50, and you're keen on sales being built, why not put your money where your mouth is and not only give them the $200 you claim you would pay by donating as I thought before, but better yet, why not buy 4 copies? Come on, you can start a tidal wave of people backing their brags!



I'll pay whatever Matrix asks for the titles I want. I've been saving for AE since Christmas and am prepared to pay whatever the cost will be, I am not financially able to pay more than what is asked. However I do own 2 copies of Uncommon Valor, which is another game I feel is worth more than double the price Matrix asks. The price of the title will be shaped by what Matrix feels they can get for it from the masses that purchase wargames and not neccesarily what they feel AEs worth. Anyone who has been following the AE production even a little bit knows what kind of effort has been put forth by the people working on the project.


From reading your tone and accusations against others and myself in this thread and others I'm suprised to read in your profile an interest of cathlocism. Good luck with that.


Have a great day this thread has run its course for me.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: cost of buying from matrix

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ok, it seems we've crossed the line from detached discussion to getting personal. As a reminder, this forum does not allow personal attacks and both politics and religion are topics to stay away from.

I think the tack this discussion has taken is not really a productive one and the productive ground has probably been covered on previous pages, so I'm locking this up.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”