Flying Heritage Collection
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- Long Lance
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:28 am
- Location: Ebbelwoi Country
RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil
I wonder hwo long it will take until original German markings on historical planes will be forbidden...
RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil
I only think that's an issue in Germany itself. I recall that the German version of Steel Panthers had to replace the swastika flag for victory hexes with an Imperial or Federal Germany flag.
- Long Lance
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:28 am
- Location: Ebbelwoi Country
RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil
Hopefully...
- Historiker
- Posts: 4742
- Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm
- Location: Deutschland
RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil
It's a issue in most of Europe, now. The EU has already or wants to make this a crime in all of its empire.ORIGINAL: Nikademus
I only think that's an issue in Germany itself. I recall that the German version of Steel Panthers had to replace the swastika flag for victory hexes with an Imperial or Federal Germany flag.
The Red Star won't be forbidden, though...
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!
There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
- Anthropoid
- Posts: 3107
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:01 am
- Location: Secret Underground Lair
RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil
ORIGINAL: Historiker
It's a issue in most of Europe, now. The EU has already or wants to make this a crime in all of its empire.ORIGINAL: Nikademus
I only think that's an issue in Germany itself. I recall that the German version of Steel Panthers had to replace the swastika flag for victory hexes with an Imperial or Federal Germany flag.
The Red Star won't be forbidden, though...
Not all totalitarianism is created equally I guess?
Great thread Nik. Superb photos.
ADDIT: Wow, those planes are in amazingly good condition! Any idea where they find these babies, and do they have to do a lot of restoration I assume??
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil
ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
Not all totalitarianism is created equally I guess?
Great thread Nik. Superb photos.
ADDIT: Wow, those planes are in amazingly good condition! Any idea where they find these babies, and do they have to do a lot of restoration I assume??
Each plane has it's own story. For example the I-16 was found crashed in the wilderness of Siberia IIRC. Yellow 10's story is so long and convoluted that there's an entire book devoted to it in the giftshop. The P-40 is a crashed veteran of lend-lease from the US to the UK to the USSR. The 109 was found with a piece of fuslage poking out of the beach from where it had crashed! Chk out the FHC website for all the histories!
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: d-day flight
Just FYI, the swastika is only illegal in two or three countries in the EU, Germany and Austria foremost among them.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: d-day flight
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Just FYI, the swastika is only illegal in two or three countries in the EU, Germany and Austria foremost among them.
That would be currently. I'm sure that there are many EU bureaucrats that would very much like to forget the second world war. [8|]
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: d-day flight
Yeah well, that sort of thing is outside their jurisdiction. I keep telling you, the EU is not the monolithic superstate that people outside it think. It's a loose conglomerate of independent countries, and it will not be one state in the lifetimes of any of the members of this forum.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Howard Mitchell
- Posts: 449
- Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:41 am
- Location: Blighty
RE: d-day flight
ORIGINAL: Terminus
... the EU is not the monolithic superstate that people outside it think. It's a loose conglomerate of independent states, and it will not be one state in the lifetimes of any of the members of this forum.
Quite right.
While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.
General Sir William Slim
General Sir William Slim
- Historiker
- Posts: 4742
- Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm
- Location: Deutschland
RE: d-day flight
80% of the German laws are nothing else than following the orders from Bruxelles. These directives aren't created democraticaclly... As well as the European Parliament isn't democratic. One german Member of Parliament represents 830.000 voters, one from Cyprus 83.000 and one from Luxemburg 75.000. If one men's vote counts less than the vote of another, that's racistic, nothing else.ORIGINAL: Howard Mitchell
ORIGINAL: Terminus
... the EU is not the monolithic superstate that people outside it think. It's a loose conglomerate of independent states, and it will not be one state in the lifetimes of any of the members of this forum.
Quite right.
But afaik, it's forbidden to talk about policits here, no?
Moreover, the Svastika is at least forbidden in Germany, Austria, France, Hungaria, Italy... (edit: it was inteded to forbid it in UK, but it didn't succeed because of the Hindus)
But I was wrong, the svastica-ban didn't make it through the EU. I just expected this ban will also make it through the EU...
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!
There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
- Historiker
- Posts: 4742
- Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm
- Location: Deutschland
RE: d-day flight
did I?ORIGINAL: Terminus
Then why did you start?
Was it wrong or forbidden (apart from being in regard of the content wrong) to say that the red star isn't banned?
Was that the start of the politic discussion or your:
If that's wrong IMO, should I say nothing?I keep telling you, the EU is not the monolithic superstate that people outside it think
Anyway, I'm sorry if this violates the forum rules...
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!
There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
RE: d-day flight
I wonder why they do not have an IL-2 being the most built plane of the war and perhaps the most important. They have rasied almost a dozen or so from a lake in Hungary whos name escapes me at the moment (I think it starts with a B). They are late model IL-2s. With that many found you would think they would be able to assemble 1-2 complete aircraft.
-
John Lansford
- Posts: 2664
- Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am
RE: d-day flight
Wow, those are awesome photos. My dad would kill to get to see those planes in person; unfortunately he's in Florida so that would be quite a trip. He's currently building a 3/4 scale flyable Zero and has so far built the main wing spar and fuselage ribs. Did I mention he's doing all of this from scratch?
He also owns an Aeronca Chief that he flies around in that looks similar to the Storch, minus the machine gun and open view cockpit. He'd get a real kick out of seeing those planes fly.
He also owns an Aeronca Chief that he flies around in that looks similar to the Storch, minus the machine gun and open view cockpit. He'd get a real kick out of seeing those planes fly.
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: d-day flight
ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
I wonder why they do not have an IL-2 being the most built plane of the war and perhaps the most important. They have rasied almost a dozen or so from a lake in Hungary whos name escapes me at the moment (I think it starts with a B). They are late model IL-2s. With that many found you would think they would be able to assemble 1-2 complete aircraft.
Lake Balaton...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: d-day flight
Well i figure even Paul Allen's pockets have their limits. Keep in mind that the planes he's already got require lots of maintenance given that they are flown. Thats alot of mulla. I have no problem paying the fee whenever i go up there. Hopefully though, he will get more. His collection is already fantastic for it's variety. It made the Boeing museum almost boring in comparison save for it's Yak-9 and FM-2.
RE: d-day flight
And the DR-I...don't forget the DR-I. [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
RE: d-day flight
ORIGINAL: Terminus
ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
I wonder why they do not have an IL-2 being the most built plane of the war and perhaps the most important. They have rasied almost a dozen or so from a lake in Hungary whos name escapes me at the moment (I think it starts with a B). They are late model IL-2s. With that many found you would think they would be able to assemble 1-2 complete aircraft.
Lake Balaton...
You would be correct sir. A large tank battle took place near by and it looks like many Strumoviks had to ditch. I wonder how many other airplanes are down there?
I bet a university could get some good funding to takes some sonar equipped boats and sweep the lake.
RE: d-day flight
Maybe Allen can finagle that recovered Finish Brewster back to the States.......that would be cool. [:D]








