Dawg, I still wish they hadn't. Aircraft engine production? Please.ORIGINAL: pad152
I never thought they were going to tackle this area anyway
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
A few minor manual errors for consideration:
There is a missing word in 8.2.1.1
A unit in Reserve Mode that is forced to retreat and has not been will have their
Op Mode changed to Combat and are retreated with the other units in the hex.
I assume this should say "has not been released"
13.2.2.4, 13.2.2.5, 13.2.2.6
The formulas talk about the number of "xyz" factories, but other usage talks about, for example, a "20 point vehicle factory" - implying this is one factory. In fact, later in the same paragraph it describes this as "the factory", i.e., singular . Could change "number of xyz factories" to "number of xyx factory points"
13.3.1.1 is similar, where in the first two sentences it talks about converting "an aircraft factory" having an effect of "reduction in the number of aircraft factories."
Page 308 (section before 21.0)
Seems to be self-contradictory - it says the Allied reports are only generated if the Allied password is entered, but then says "Presently, all reports are generated and are available to both players." Am I confused?
Many, many occurrences of "it's" instead of "its" (OK, that's nit-picky)
There is a missing word in 8.2.1.1
A unit in Reserve Mode that is forced to retreat and has not been will have their
Op Mode changed to Combat and are retreated with the other units in the hex.
I assume this should say "has not been released"
13.2.2.4, 13.2.2.5, 13.2.2.6
The formulas talk about the number of "xyz" factories, but other usage talks about, for example, a "20 point vehicle factory" - implying this is one factory. In fact, later in the same paragraph it describes this as "the factory", i.e., singular . Could change "number of xyz factories" to "number of xyx factory points"
13.3.1.1 is similar, where in the first two sentences it talks about converting "an aircraft factory" having an effect of "reduction in the number of aircraft factories."
Page 308 (section before 21.0)
Seems to be self-contradictory - it says the Allied reports are only generated if the Allied password is entered, but then says "Presently, all reports are generated and are available to both players." Am I confused?
Many, many occurrences of "it's" instead of "its" (OK, that's nit-picky)
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
There are nits aplenty to pick with this manuscript. Some are even as big as gnats. Heck, a lot of 'em are newt-sized. You could even nuke it and start fresh...ORIGINAL: erstad
Many, many occurrences of "it's" instead of "its" (OK, that's nit-picky)
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
page 76
No Task Force Symbols shown for Air Combat?
page 80
Safer - defines a routing path that avoids know significant emeny air concentrations; and
(and What)?
page 315
An 'Army base force supports a division plus of LCU's, but few aircraft.
page 316
>>army base force supports LCU's but, no aircraft.
No Task Force Symbols shown for Air Combat?
page 80
Safer - defines a routing path that avoids know significant emeny air concentrations; and
(and What)?
page 315
An 'Army base force supports a division plus of LCU's, but few aircraft.
page 316
>>army base force supports LCU's but, no aircraft.
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
ORIGINAL: pasternakski
There are nits aplenty to pick with this manuscript. Some are even as big as gnats. Heck, a lot of 'em are newt-sized. You could even nuke it and start fresh...ORIGINAL: erstad
Many, many occurrences of "it's" instead of "its" (OK, that's nit-picky)
Okay, check back in a couple of years...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Hi all,
Thanks Erik! [:)]
Leo "Apollo11"
Thanks Erik! [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!
A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Thanks for putting the preview up, it almost makes me dare to hope the game will be out soon.
One comment though, the training levels for ground forces seem based more on some sort of national prejudice than historical reality. Canadian troops only get a max of 50% yet in Europe they performed pretty well. The US Marines get 65% yet their combat record in terms of performance is patchy. I can understand training limits on Chinese troops and perhaps on Dutch, Indian, main line US, Japanese, British etc. non combat troops but the variations don't make sense when you look at the actual history. I would have thought maximum training experience should be the same with some elite units able to go higher due to intensive training (and I don't mean marines or Australians but Ranger Battlions). Moral is what makes some of the other units stand out historically.
One comment though, the training levels for ground forces seem based more on some sort of national prejudice than historical reality. Canadian troops only get a max of 50% yet in Europe they performed pretty well. The US Marines get 65% yet their combat record in terms of performance is patchy. I can understand training limits on Chinese troops and perhaps on Dutch, Indian, main line US, Japanese, British etc. non combat troops but the variations don't make sense when you look at the actual history. I would have thought maximum training experience should be the same with some elite units able to go higher due to intensive training (and I don't mean marines or Australians but Ranger Battlions). Moral is what makes some of the other units stand out historically.
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Great looking manual!
Will we be so fortunate to see the PDF version updated as time progresses and patches come out/changes are made to the game?
That is my one big gripe with almost all Matrix games - because support from developers is generally so good [:)], many patches come out and often very significant changes are made to the game and the manual often becomes pretty much obsolete within a year after the release.
So, updated PDF-manuals released once in a while would be a BIG plus...!
Especially with a mastodont game like WitP.
Is it a possibility? [:)]
Will we be so fortunate to see the PDF version updated as time progresses and patches come out/changes are made to the game?
That is my one big gripe with almost all Matrix games - because support from developers is generally so good [:)], many patches come out and often very significant changes are made to the game and the manual often becomes pretty much obsolete within a year after the release.
So, updated PDF-manuals released once in a while would be a BIG plus...!
Especially with a mastodont game like WitP.
Is it a possibility? [:)]
regards,
Briny
Briny
-
Mike Scholl
- Posts: 6187
- Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
- Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
ORIGINAL: pasternakski
I'm enjoying, but, man, all those TF type icons are gonna be hard to distinguish from each other when displayed in teeny tiny size on the map. What do you think about an overlay acronym in a contrasting color that would make clearer what the TF is (the following suggestion is only that).
I think you will find with use that even an old set of eyes become adept at reccognizing and differentiating the important ones. I've had two cataract surgeries in the last 18 months, but I can still do it with the ones I am interested in keeping track of.
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Thanks to Erik, Joe and the rest of the Matrix team! Not only did you guys keep your promise, the fact that you let us preview the message shows that you really do listen and hear us! [&o][&o][&o][&o]
Many, many thanks! (And don't worry about the minor critism, it's all small stuff. People who were given a million dollars will complain that now they have to pay taxes![:D])
BRAVO ZULU!!!![&o][&o][&o]
Many, many thanks! (And don't worry about the minor critism, it's all small stuff. People who were given a million dollars will complain that now they have to pay taxes![:D])
BRAVO ZULU!!!![&o][&o][&o]
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
I do agree with pasternakski on the general readibility, but I have come to expect that with most game manuals. Economy of words is not necessarily the solution but rather making sure it's explained so a 5th grader can understand it. That's how I write memorandum (considering the average reading level of a judge is somwhere around 6th grade, I cushion things just a bit).
The printed manual does indeed look great. Glad to see it's a legible font size as well. My eyes are still sore from the HTTR manual. . .
The printed manual does indeed look great. Glad to see it's a legible font size as well. My eyes are still sore from the HTTR manual. . .
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Thanks Erik and the Matrix Team for the Manual preview. I don't care about any typos, left out words, or grammer. I'm a big boy, I'll figure it out. Besides, I know how to use Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, etc. If I want to fix things or change things I will. I'm just pleased that someone is doing the vast amount of work on AE and making it available to the consumer. I'll buy the product and make/mod it the way I want, and then enjoy playing the thing my way for the next 30-40 years. Thanks for all the work, sweat, and treasure expended on this product. I'm looking forward to using my Am Exp card.
Thanks again.[&o][X(][:D][:)][;)][&o]
Thanks again.[&o][X(][:D][:)][;)][&o]
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
I should mention that my posting a few items for consideration (missing words, etc.) was prompted by Erik's comment that they might update the PDF version. It is in no way a criticism of the manual or the incredible effort that the AE team has put in. It looks like the AE manual is going to be far better than the original (and final
witp manual.
Now if we could just buy that game...
Now if we could just buy that game...
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Hi-Here are my(preliminary) nit pickins'.
1.What are recon type aircraft? SOC, OS2us,Cats, Mariners, etc?
2. Are Recon & naval search missions the same? Or, does a Naval search mission have elements of recon in it?
3. Pgs 320&321-Allied Economy. Are there numbers associated with the "resources required" for Hawaii, oil and/or fuel for India, Australia, etc.?
Or, are all these type questions answered when we get the full manual?
Now, non-nit pickins'- GREAT job so far. This is like a cup of water to a guy in the desert-but the thirst is STILL there. Right on, guys.
Hugh Browne
1.What are recon type aircraft? SOC, OS2us,Cats, Mariners, etc?
2. Are Recon & naval search missions the same? Or, does a Naval search mission have elements of recon in it?
3. Pgs 320&321-Allied Economy. Are there numbers associated with the "resources required" for Hawaii, oil and/or fuel for India, Australia, etc.?
Or, are all these type questions answered when we get the full manual?
Now, non-nit pickins'- GREAT job so far. This is like a cup of water to a guy in the desert-but the thirst is STILL there. Right on, guys.
Hugh Browne
hbrsvl
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Erik,
thanks a lot for supplying us with the fragment. I think this is a very clever way to make sure a manual is being read... just provide it ahead of a game everyone is waiting for. Maybe you should make that a company policy. [8D]
Hartwig
thanks a lot for supplying us with the fragment. I think this is a very clever way to make sure a manual is being read... just provide it ahead of a game everyone is waiting for. Maybe you should make that a company policy. [8D]
Hartwig
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Erik
Many thanks for this release. About a third through my fourth read!
Many thanks for this release. About a third through my fourth read!
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born
- CarnageINC
- Posts: 2208
- Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:47 am
- Location: Rapid City SD
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]WOOT! [&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
WOW, its really starting to hit home this pig might fly [;)][:'(]
Thanks to all you guys to put so much of your time to put AE together!
WOW, its really starting to hit home this pig might fly [;)][:'(]
Thanks to all you guys to put so much of your time to put AE together!
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
Thanks guys. To those that posted corrections, I will make sure those are addressed in the final PDF manual. I expect that at some point after release we will also update that again, but not with every update.
As far as rewriting for more economical language or just better writing style, sorry but that's not happening at this point. One thing to realize is that, as with everything in AE, the manual was a team effort. Every team contributed in their area and in a few others and each team had one or more writers. This then went through several editors (including on the team and in Matrix, including yours truly) and many proofreaders, but there will be definite differences in writing style and voice as a result of that process.
Pasternakski, if you're volunteering to help us out with manual editing in the future, be careful what you wish for! [;)] I certainly acknowledge that we could always use more help in that area though and good writers and editors are very hard to find, especially on our budget. What would you like to help with, World in Flames perhaps?
I still think that compared to most game manuals, this is a good one and it's simply several magnitudes better than any previous documentation for War in the Pacific has been IMHO. I'm glad it has helped some of you prepare and get excited for AE.
One more thing, when AE is very close to release (i.e. within a week) we will make the full AE PDF manual available to registered owners of War in the Pacific so that you'll be as ready as you can be to jump in once you receive your copy by download or mail. So if you haven't already registered in our Members Club, you may wish to do so now.
Regards,
- Erik
As far as rewriting for more economical language or just better writing style, sorry but that's not happening at this point. One thing to realize is that, as with everything in AE, the manual was a team effort. Every team contributed in their area and in a few others and each team had one or more writers. This then went through several editors (including on the team and in Matrix, including yours truly) and many proofreaders, but there will be definite differences in writing style and voice as a result of that process.
Pasternakski, if you're volunteering to help us out with manual editing in the future, be careful what you wish for! [;)] I certainly acknowledge that we could always use more help in that area though and good writers and editors are very hard to find, especially on our budget. What would you like to help with, World in Flames perhaps?
I still think that compared to most game manuals, this is a good one and it's simply several magnitudes better than any previous documentation for War in the Pacific has been IMHO. I'm glad it has helped some of you prepare and get excited for AE.
One more thing, when AE is very close to release (i.e. within a week) we will make the full AE PDF manual available to registered owners of War in the Pacific so that you'll be as ready as you can be to jump in once you receive your copy by download or mail. So if you haven't already registered in our Members Club, you may wish to do so now.
Regards,
- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
One more thing, when AE is very close to release (i.e. within a week) we will make the full AE PDF manual available to registered owners of War in the Pacific so that you'll be as ready as you can be to jump in once you receive your copy by download or mail. So if you haven't already registered in our Members Club, you may wish to do so now.
Regards,
- Erik

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
- Canoerebel
- Posts: 21099
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
- Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
- Contact:
RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Manual Preview
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
One more thing, when AE is very close to release (i.e. within a week) we will make the full AE PDF manual available to registered owners of War in the Pacific so that you'll be as ready as you can be to jump in once you receive your copy by download or mail. So if you haven't already registered in our Members Club, you may wish to do so now.
Regards,
- Erik
Whoa, I'd better get busy! Important things on my list:
1. Prepare to break vow of celibacy (for those who don't know what that is, read my thread about my vow to give up WitP/AE for six months).
2. Identify capable, dedicated Jap opponent (Miller, are you listening) who wants to jump right into a game (and also doesn't mind getting whooped by the good guys.)
3. Prepare for intense feelings of guilt as I spend the next 2.3 years way to involved in a "stupid" game! (After all, "real" life is much more important, right? Right?)
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.








