If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by jwilkerson »

If called I hope I would do my duty - and I did serve my time in the "chow line" - though I was too young for WWII. But the idea that combat is "glory" doesn't seem to sit with the people I've talked to who have been there - so saying I would want to be torpedoing the Shinano - or I would want to be bombing Taiho - or other such stuff - doesn't seem to match up with the reality of having to do it. A few adults probably enjoy combat - most do it out of a sense of having to - and then a few run away. I figure I would fall in the middle - but no one knows until they do it.

WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
Feltan
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:47 am
Location: Kansas

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by Feltan »

Well, in real life I did four years with the U.S. 7th Infantry Division -- so I'd like to think that is where I'd be in a virtual WITP world. However, this time, I'll be the Commander instead of one of the commanded. :-)

Regards,
Feltan
User avatar
LST Express
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:38 am
Location: Texas

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by LST Express »

In the context of the game, put me in the 1st marine division.
User avatar
LST Express
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:38 am
Location: Texas

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by LST Express »

Better yet, put me in command of that bad boy!
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by jwilkerson »

If I get a choice - I'll be in charge of the girls dressing room at the USO club [:D]

(somehow I feel like if it was real life - I would not get my choice - and I would be in charge of the latrines on Bataan on April 1st, 1942 [:D][:D][:D])

WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

They had latrines left by then?[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
LST Express
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:38 am
Location: Texas

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by LST Express »

In real life I want to be bob hope's armed forces liaison.
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by fabertong »

I've tried to join the forces many times.....but my flat feet (read flippers).......and lack of thumbs......(the whole grasping thing)......seem to count against me........I'll have to be.........let's see dictator then....
User avatar
Ron Belcher
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 7:23 pm
Location: Clovis, CA USA
Contact:

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by Ron Belcher »

I served our country in the US Navy from 1981 to 1991, as a Radioman.
Spent 7 1/2 years of 10 in the fleet. I would welcome the chance to do
it all in WW II !

- Can't stop the signal (...Serenity)
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc
User avatar
Ron Belcher
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 7:23 pm
Location: Clovis, CA USA
Contact:

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by Ron Belcher »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

In USS Bluegill, my father's old boat. Sank a Jap light cruiser, among others. Survived the war to become a Guppy boat. Used early in the Vietnam War to do some skullduggery up and about North Vietnam way.

Now a diving reef near Oahu. (Or was. They may have moved her due to pollution.)

In the game she's the only boat I hand-manage, and Capt. Barr and the boys always Go in Harm's Way.

My first ship was the Callaghan DDG-994. Named after Admiral Callaghan who lost his life aboard his
flagship the USS San Francisco CA-38. So, I hand-manage the 'ol San Fran as well! Keep em afloat
and dealin' the cards!

Image
Attachments
SanFran.jpg
SanFran.jpg (89.2 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by Feinder »

The HMS Agamemnon of course!

Perhaps the proudest and most crucial ship in the Royal Navy fleet train - the brewery ship!

-F-




Image
Attachments
HMSAg.jpg
HMSAg.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 541 times
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by Canoerebel »

My choices (keeping in mind that this is a game, so that I don't actually die, but I don't know that so there's an element of uncertainty about the fragility of life so that when I come through okay all of life is sweet - got it?):
 
1.  Flying Tigers
2.  Doolittle's Raiders
3.  With Ensign Pulver as he scopes out nurses.
4.  With Ensign George Gay
5.  Beside a Aussie coastwatcher in the Solomons
6.  Next to Merrit Edson, commander of the 1st Marine Raiders, at Bloody Ridge on Guadalcanal
7.  PT-109
8.  Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Three as it carries MacArthur and family from Corregidor to Mindanao
9.  No. 75 Squadron RAAF at Port Moresby
10.  With the 5th Marine Division on Iwo Jima, February 23, 1945
 
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
John Lansford
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by John Lansford »

Meteorologist assigned to a HQ unit.  It was what I always wanted to do in the USN but I washed out of boot camp thanks to a torn Achilles' tendon I got back in junior high.
 
Plus I like to study the weather.  Based on my current occupation, though, I'd probably have ended up either commanding a base force or a Seabee unit (now a civil engineer).
User avatar
Barb
Posts: 2503
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:17 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by Barb »

Well, I am a foreigner, but you can look just to my banner to see a unit :) I would like to give hand to "Pappy" Gunn, fly one of his B-25 strafers over the Rabaul. And get back just "on a wing and a prayer" [8D]
Image
User avatar
GenChaos33
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by GenChaos33 »

As my avatar/sig pic shows. For my Uncle whom I was named after, who was lost Nov. '43 near Truk.
Image
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by crsutton »

Bob Hope

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: USS America

I think, I'd prefer to be assigned to the CentPac HQ in Hawaii.  Not too many people trying to kill me there.  [:D]

That would be CinCPAC. And obviously you have never served on staff. The bullets are shot at you from behind (and so are the knives in your back!). [:D]

I had the misfortune to serve on three different wings (the only shore duty that I could get!). [X(]
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: Japan


There is no such thing as Duty, that is only propaganda, and as with all Propaganda only narrow minded or ignorant people believe in it.
Imagine leaving your continuing freedom in the hands of someone you deem to be ignorant...not the brightest thing to do but to each his own.

Call me ignorant but lemme into the 1st MarDiv and I'll do my damndest to make sure I do my part.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
User avatar
yoshino
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Komatsu, Japan

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by yoshino »

I would like to serve his majesty and Imperial Japan as a Zero fighter(or other naval fighters)pilot.[8D]
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve?

Post by captskillet »

And in response to Japan - there is a thing called duty - even baboons understand that. Read Heinlein..it's is good reading for the uninformed - which means not completely inwardly formed..

And I subscribe to the "my country, right or wrong" line. But, I subscribe to the complete thought...

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”

Amen Rev.........I haven't used the green button in awhile so's I think I'll put it to use.
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”