HQ where you place it ?

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Rokondo
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Israel
Contact:

HQ where you place it ?

Post by Rokondo »

I do not know how other players use the HQ . :confused:

Well I usually place the HQ in the back.
Far hill :D

Few ways to defend the HQ !
Around him put few defenses that it's will not easy to kill him.
Few Troops & 50mm
If its possible place few mines around him :)

I learn this since I played with Scharfschütze !
(The first time I lose my HQ )
"If you have Patience you will win !"
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

It depends. I usually surround my HQ with quad AA's if possible along with a perimeter defense of rifle infantry and/or armored vehicles.

Lately, I have more and more started to use the A0 unit in combat. It's range is limited, so better to have it follow the front line, say some 2-500 m behind.
Image
Got StuG?
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Whereever he's most useful :)

Post by Capt. Pixel »

I tend to keep my A0 near (within 3 hexes) my on-board artillery. This may be well to the rear, or near the front, or anywhere in between, depending on my artillery assets and strategy for that battle.

My experience has led me to believe I get more 'bang-for-the-buck' from my A0, if I can get consistent, reliable on-board artillery contact. This, as opposed to say, running along with the frontline troops for improved Rallying ability.

I also generally try to provide dedicated transportation for the A0 (and maybe an attendant FO, too).

I (almost) never put the A0 anywhere near the VHs. And I generally don't provide any dedicated armed escort. (I count on mobility, not strength of arms :cool: )

I hope that's not TOO specific. :rolleyes:

As for HQ tents (command posts), I've come to the conclusion that:

1) They're well worth the points - the durability (improved rally) they provide to ALL the units on the board make them worthwhile. If they cost more than 2-3% of your available points, they're probably not a wise purchase.

2) Only one HQ tent is necessary on the map. Everybody on the map still benefits from improved Rallying. If you're expecting a heavy infestation of infiltrators, multiple HQ tents might be a good idea.

3) They provide nothing in terms of command contact. They're just like any other unit, not a 'second' A0. For instance, they don't provide automatic contact to nearby artillery or FOs.

4) If you're playing with C&C On, they provide a convenient pool of command orders for calling in continuous artillery fire plots. They don't provide those points to any other units (unless you've done some unit reassignments in the OOB, making that HQ a formation leader)

I could see some usefulness in multiple HQs behind an infantry line, if they're in a Defensive or predominately Infantry battle. Basically a static or slowly advancing line could utilize spaced HQs to rally those units that are retreating from the frontline.

But I've never really seen any indication that multiple HQs perform this function any better than a single HQ tent. Perhaps it makes a difference during auto-Rally?

JMO - Just My Observations :cool:
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
OKW-73
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Cyberspace, Finland
Contact:

Re: Whereever he's most useful :)

Post by OKW-73 »

Originally posted by Capt. Pixel
But I've never really seen any indication that multiple HQs perform this function any better than a single HQ tent. Perhaps it makes a difference during auto-Rally?
Im not sure auto-rally either but multiple tents are good if you lose one ;)
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”