Editing a game in progress?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
UdiHrant
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:30 am

Editing a game in progress?

Post by UdiHrant »

I have this game in order - and it will be my third time around with WIP.
My question is simple. Has anyone figured out how to modify a saved game file so that you could, say, sink a ship or add damage to an airbase?

Why? because I love to use a grand strategy game like WIP to create smaller encounters that I can play out in IL2 and SHIV. So imagine that I have just finished a turn in WIP where an American sub has attacked a Jap convoy. I then go into my sub simulator, create the exact scene - carry out the attack and feed the results, for better or wose, back into WIP. Get it?! Can I DO THIS?
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by Andy Mac »

No
User avatar
jjax
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:42 am

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by jjax »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

No

Thought you were Terminus for a second.

That would take for ever to finish a month in game time though.... Besides, if they allowed you to do that they would open the doors for pbem cheating.
--JJAX

User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by wdolson »

An in game editor is not in the cards.  Sorry, but the risk to PBEM games and cheating is the primary reason it won't be done.

Bill
WIS Development Team
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by steveh11Matrix »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

An in game editor is not in the cards.  Sorry, but the risk to PBEM games and cheating is the primary reason it won't be done.

Bill
Despite players' continued requests for it.

Sigh.

I understand it's a Matrix dictat, not one from the developers themselves, though from what I can see there's very little support for it among the devs either. I don't understand the underlying premise - it should be possible to design an encryption scheme that only comes into play for PBEM games, if you're paranoid about cheating - But "It is what it is" and WitP, especially AE, is more than worth buying and playing even without such a utility.

So, UdiHrant, you, like I, will have to continue to do without.

Which isn't going to stop me from backing each call for it that comes up here.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
Reg
Posts: 2793
Joined: Fri May 26, 2000 8:00 am
Location: NSW, Australia

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

ORIGINAL: wdolson

An in game editor is not in the cards.  Sorry, but the risk to PBEM games and cheating is the primary reason it won't be done.

Bill

Despite players' continued requests for it.


Not from this little black duck......

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

No

And thank goodness for that.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
n01487477
Posts: 4764
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:00 am

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by n01487477 »

I too don't see the need, even against the AI, you can always run the turn again ... otherwise, what are you trying to achieve ? No game editor ever. period.
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by steveh11Matrix »

Possible scenarios:

I get so far in a game, say middle of '42, and then think: "Wouldn't it be cool if..." - no, can't do that, sorry.

I modify the scenario database, say (for example) adding in a couple of extra ships and such. Get to where they join in and realise I've made a simple error - like placing both 'side' armaments on RS instead of RS, LS. "That's easy, I'll just mod that..." - no, can't do that, sorry.

I don't modify the scenario database, but there's an error already present similar to the above, or worse. No, still can't change that, sorry.

There are plenty of reasons why, largely the wistful 'what if' variety. Get to May 42, want to save the scenario and edit a few things to make it closer to history? No, still can't change that, sorry. I'm sure people with your imaginations can come up with more.

I know I'm butting my head up against the wall here, but this really bugs me. You're saying that PBEM players can't be trusted not to cheat. I say that a player who cheats will be caught and exposed and no-one will play against him again, so it's a stupid thing to do.

End (current) rant.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
Oliver Heindorf
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Hamburg/Deutschland

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

You probably dont want to know that I was able to alter the plane pool, the pilots pool and the arrival date of ships in my game vs the AI after a bit of work.

But no, I wont tell to anyone how to.

Just keep searching and looking in the file. Ah, you need some software for editing the save file. And a tool that tracks changes in memory might help a bit.

before I forget : I delete all PMs regarding this issue unreaded, just in case.
User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by wdolson »

You've been able to do that in AE?  That's a bit of a trick.  (AE has extra security on the saved game file that WitP didn't have.)

Bill
WIS Development Team
ckammp
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Rear Area training facility

RE: Editing a game in progress?

Post by ckammp »

deleted
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”