The Longest Day Movie

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
stuman
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:59 am
Location: Elvis' Hometown

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by stuman »

Longest Day is a good flick. That other movie sucks; when my wife and daughter watched not too long ago they very patiently let me point out the historical innaccuracies until I just got tired of talking.

Tora Tora Tora is a good movie I think. I like the cast of In Harms Way, but the movie isn't great.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Image
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by Canoerebel »

Cornelius Ryan was an excellent historian and writer - he died too young. Both The Longest Day and a Bridge Too Far are excellent examples of readable history.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is also a fine movie.

Ben Affleck is a terrible actor, but I just realized at least he wasn't a two-front schmuck. That distinction belongs to Nicholas Cage, an otherwise fine actor who had the misfortune of taking rolls in Windtalkers and Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Torplexed
John Wayne as Genghis Khan? Perhaps history's worst piece of casting unless you count Denise Richards as a Bond Girl that's supposed to be a rocket scientist or Ben Affleck in anything.
[:D] I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that thought that Denise Richards screamed 'stupid brunette' totally miscast as a brainiac. She wasn't much better in Starship Troopers.
Image
anarchyintheuk
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by anarchyintheuk »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Torplexed
John Wayne as Genghis Khan? Perhaps history's worst piece of casting unless you count Denise Richards as a Bond Girl that's supposed to be a rocket scientist or Ben Affleck in anything.
[:D] I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that thought that Denise Richards screamed 'stupid brunette' totally miscast as a brainiac. She wasn't much better in Starship Troopers.

Agreed. She had way too much clothing on in ST.
User avatar
Rob Brennan UK
Posts: 3685
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:36 pm
Location: London UK

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

They'll be casting Jorden or Peter Andre next [:@].. they would make Denise Richards look plausable at least [;)]

Should have been Myleene Klass .. georgeous and intelligent ! .. humm might change my sig pic.

Anyhoo back OT .. Thin Red Line .. 2nd worst war movie ever made .. you know the worst one [:D]
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
User avatar
Grollub
Posts: 6676
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Lulea, Sweden

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by Grollub »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Torplexed
John Wayne as Genghis Khan? Perhaps history's worst piece of casting unless you count Denise Richards as a Bond Girl that's supposed to be a rocket scientist or Ben Affleck in anything.
[:D] I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that thought that Denise Richards screamed 'stupid brunette' totally miscast as a brainiac. She wasn't much better in Starship Troopers.
Agreed. But ST at least had a decent shower scene [:'(]
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
User avatar
JWE
Posts: 5039
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:02 pm

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Ben Affleck is a terrible actor, but I just realized at least he wasn't a two-front schmuck. That distinction belongs to Nicholas Cage, an otherwise fine actor who had the misfortune of taking rolls in Windtalkers and Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
Hey, hey, hey! I liked Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Yeah, he was stiff, but that was a damn good movie. Where else do you see anything decent about Italians or Greeks.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: JWE

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Ben Affleck is a terrible actor, but I just realized at least he wasn't a two-front schmuck. That distinction belongs to Nicholas Cage, an otherwise fine actor who had the misfortune of taking rolls in Windtalkers and Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
Hey, hey, hey! I liked Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Yeah, he was stiff, but that was a damn good movie. Where else do you see anything decent about Italians or Greeks.

I dunno...The Guns of Navarone?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Footslogger
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:46 pm
Location: Washington USA

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by Footslogger »

I think one of the forgotten movies is,"The Sand Pebbles"...
rmielech
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:05 pm

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by rmielech »

ORIGINAL: Torplexed

The Longest Day was Sean Connery's last film before stepping into the role of James Bond. [;)]

BTW was this the only war film that John Wayne did where he was portrayed fighting in the European Theater? I seem to recall all his other war films were in the Pacific or Asia.

No. He also did Reunion in France in 1942 with Joan Crawford, I think. Never saw it, but apparently he's a downed flier in France trying to evade capture. Probably not much war footage. It's on TCM from time to time.
User avatar
henri51
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:07 pm

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: scott1964

Longest Days beats that other movie hands down. [:'(]

I watched it again yesterday from the DVD, and again I had forgotten that it is in black and white...

Henri
User avatar
olivier_slith
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun May 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: USA
Contact:

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by olivier_slith »

The only good stuff in PH are the 10 min of special effects around the attack. Longest Day is riveting for 3 hours. The only better thing than this movie (LD) is the Avalon Hill game of the same title.
User avatar
kaleun
Posts: 5144
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 10:57 pm
Location: Colorado

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by kaleun »

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy


[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Torplexed
John Wayne as Genghis Khan? Perhaps history's worst piece of casting unless you count Denise Richards as a Bond Girl that's supposed to be a rocket scientist or Ben Affleck in anything.
[/blockquote]
I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that thought that Denise Richards screamed 'stupid brunette' totally miscast as a brainiac. She wasn't much better in Starship Troopers.
[/blockquote]

Agreed. She had way too much clothing on in ST.

Of course, as eye candy.....(Hides from wife)
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: dhennin

The only good stuff in PH are the 10 min of special effects around the attack.


Even the "special effects" in PH are far to "Hollywoodized" to be considered good. It basically stinks on ice. [8|]
Fishbed
Posts: 1827
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:52 am
Location: Henderson Field, Guadalcanal

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by Fishbed »

Actually the only shot worth of anything to me in PH was the sight of torpedoes running among floating sailors. That was impressive.

But well everything else... Just go get lost. How hard was it to make goddam CGI for the carriers just for them to look like something else than CVNs? I hate that.
User avatar
morganbj
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:36 am
Location: Mosquito Bite, Texas

RE: The Longest Day Movie

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

ORIGINAL: dhennin

The only good stuff in PH are the 10 min of special effects around the attack.


Even the "special effects" in PH are far to "Hollywoodized" to be considered good. It basically stinks on ice. [8|]
No, it just stinks. [8|]
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”