Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Pretty much the same deal with the aircraft factories there...

Image
Attachments
gifu1acfac.jpg
gifu1acfac.jpg (227.27 KiB) Viewed 364 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

The culprit seems to be a lack of supply at Gifu. Since there aren't very many troops based here, the required supply is very low, much lower than the 1000 points per turn per repair point needed for each factory. I must manually increase this by requesting about 16000+ supplies using the arrow feature to address this problem. Otherwise the war will end before these factories get repaired and I really need these engines.



Image
Attachments
gifunote..pairfac.jpg
gifunote..pairfac.jpg (219.96 KiB) Viewed 364 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

While I am fixing this, I notice that I have not scheduled enough HA-34 engine construction to support the Helen I that will be arriving in April. I decide to expand the factory to 80 engines per month. This still may not be enough but I don't have another factory to use and I certainly don't want to pay the next increment of HI and supply to expand another 70.



Image
Attachments
ha34hele..shortage.jpg
ha34hele..shortage.jpg (219.28 KiB) Viewed 364 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Elsewhere, some fighting continues in China
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 71,55

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1316 troops, 4 guns, 41 vehicles, Assault Value = 38

Defending force 5362 troops, 32 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 58

Japanese adjusted assault: 66

Allied adjusted defense: 15

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), morale(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)


Allied ground losses:
842 casualties reported
Squads: 65 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 90 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 1


Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
22nd Recon Regiment

Defending units:
52nd Chinese Corps

And at Tarakan, I attacked but still could not make progress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Tarakan (67,91)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1071 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 37

Defending force 2046 troops, 56 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 21

Japanese adjusted assault: 34

Allied adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), preparation(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
67 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled


Allied ground losses:
59 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled


Assaulting units:
I/81st Naval Guard Unit
III/81st Naval Guard Unit

Defending units:
VII KNIL Battalion
Tarakan Coastal Gun Battalion
Tarakan Base Force

On Luzon I began my assault on Cabantuan which will continue through next turn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Cabanatuan (80,76)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1728 troops, 32 guns, 129 vehicles, Assault Value = 261

Defending force 2505 troops, 40 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 85

Japanese adjusted assault: 55

Allied adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)


Allied ground losses:
996 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 55 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 50 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled


Assaulting units:
7th Tank Regiment
Tanaka Detachment
2nd Tank Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
Yokosuka 1st SNLF
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
91st PA Infantry Division

These PA infantry divisions are extremely brittle and normally break at the first sight of my tanks. Pretty pathetic if you consider how weak Japanese armor is.



Image
Attachments
sitrepluzon.jpg
sitrepluzon.jpg (183.52 KiB) Viewed 364 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Finally, I landed unopposed at Hollandia this turn. We will raise the flag next turn.

The plots have been done and returned to my opponent. He should have the next turn back to me tomorrow evening.



Image
Attachments
sitrephollandia.jpg
sitrephollandia.jpg (345.42 KiB) Viewed 364 times
User avatar
Tanaka
Posts: 5382
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:42 am
Location: USA
Contact:

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

While I am fixing this, I notice that I have not scheduled enough HA-34 engine construction to support the Helen I that will be arriving in April. I decide to expand the factory to 80 engines per month. This still may not be enough but I don't have another factory to use and I certainly don't want to pay the next increment of HI and supply to expand another 70.



Image

Just curious but what planes will you upgrade to Helens? I dont see any Helen groups until 43...

Image
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Image

Check out my mod for Strategic Command American Civil War!

https://forums.matrixgames.com/viewtopic.php?t=413785
User avatar
castor troy
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Austria

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

Somehow I felt like the U.S. Carriers that sat off the coast of Vietnam during that conflict only the KB didn't have the restrictive rules of engagement.

As soon as the sweep was through, the main KB bomber package came in weapons hot and bombed the airfield.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Bikin , at 117,42

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 200 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 66 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 62
B5N2 Kate x 83
D3A1 Val x 80



Allied aircraft
I-16m24 x 1


Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 4 damaged
D3A1 Val: 28 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
I-16m24: 1 destroyed
I-16m24: 1 destroyed on ground
SB-2: 1 destroyed on ground



Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 38


Image


hit rate of KB´s bombers is pretty pathetic it seems. Is this the norm?
Bluebook
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:03 am

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Bluebook »

Thunderstorms will do that to your air attacks...
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the gate:
"To every man upon this earth death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his Gods."
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Just curious but what planes will you upgrade to Helens? I dont see any Helen groups until 43...

We have PDU on so I will use the Helens in bomber groups that I want to use for ASW. Most likely I will change out the Sally Ic and some Lily groups to Helen.
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

hit rate of KB´s bombers is pretty pathetic it seems. Is this the norm? ]

Yes, it has been what I have seen all game with both the KB and LBA even when bombing from as low as 5000 ft. I figure that I really am doing more damage and the FOW factor is just not showing all of it. At least I hope so.
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

I did fail to mention during my turn commentary that I have ordered an increase in Oscar Ic production to 64 from 32 and I have also increased production of the Nate from 45 to 90. I hated doing this with the Nate but I need replacements to keep up with the casualties and I still have over 300 engines to use up. As much as I would have liked to have just done all Oscars, there is no way at this stage of the game that Japan can supply enough HA-35 engines to build all the zeroes and Oscars that I would need if I had done it this way.
Takeshi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:42 pm
Location: West TN

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Takeshi »

Did you see any significant System Damage in the KB running at Full Speed?
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: Takeshi

Did you see any significant System Damage in the KB running at Full Speed?

Nothing significant...yet. I do expect some though so I absolutely avoid it unless necessary.

I had one of my battleships pick up significant engine damage as soon as she ran at full speed early in the game that took several turns to repair.
Streptokok
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:02 pm

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Streptokok »

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

I did fail to mention during my turn commentary that I have ordered an increase in Oscar Ic production to 64 from 32 and I have also increased production of the Nate from 45 to 90. I hated doing this with the Nate but I need replacements to keep up with the casualties and I still have over 300 engines to use up. As much as I would have liked to have just done all Oscars, there is no way at this stage of the game that Japan can supply enough HA-35 engines to build all the zeroes and Oscars that I would need if I had done it this way.

In my game Zero, Oscar and Nate pool went to 0 in first 3 turns [:(] so I had to keep producing Nates even tough I totaly dont like that. Still Nates make between 50-70% of Jap airforce and they suck so their looses are going to be high...
I ramped up Oscar production to swap as many Nate squadrons for Oscars, at least those with good pilots.
It paid out with 3-4 units converted, Oscars Ic in hands of good pilots got better results than what Nates would ever get, vs AVG Oscars did better than any other plane type (needed pilots with exp 85+ tough).
"No plan survives contact with the enemy."
- Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

"Nuts!"
- General Anthony McAuliffe
bklooste
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:47 am

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by bklooste »

ORIGINAL: seydlitz
I have also increased production of the Nate from 45 to 90. I hated doing this with the Nate but I need replacements to keep up with the casualties and I still have over 300 engines to use up.

I think this is a big mistake GOOD pilots are more important than the air frames and engines. Too many casualties and you will end up with lots of bad pilots put them in Oscars and you have more survive and be better pilots.

Ben
Underdog Fanboy
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: bklooste

ORIGINAL: seydlitz
I have also increased production of the Nate from 45 to 90. I hated doing this with the Nate but I need replacements to keep up with the casualties and I still have over 300 engines to use up.

I think this is a big mistake GOOD pilots are more important than the air frames and engines. Too many casualties and you will end up with lots of bad pilots put them in Oscars and you have more survive and be better pilots.

Ben
When I looked at my Nate units, some of the units are good, some are average, and some are green. There are some Nate units that will be in combat a lot, others that are meant to escort in low threat areas, and still others that will do nothing but train pilots.

During the turn I issued orders to convert two of my best Nate units to Oscars. However, at this stage of the war it still does not provide enough replacement Nates to cover the losses. By being very selective about where and how I use the Nates I can still be quite effective. If I am able to use an average pilot in a Nate in combat against another aircraft that is slightly superior but with a worse trained pilot, or in an inferior airplane, or even on a combat mission where no aerial oppostion is expected, then I will be able to not only fly the missions, but I will also give that average pilot the combat experience that he needs to survive later. Sooner or later, all of my combat units will be flying something other than Nates.

I can not build enough Oscars and Zeroes to fill all fighter needs this early in the game. If I leave the losses unreplaced then I will not have enough fighters flying to intercept incoming bombers or to escort my bombers to their targets. Other than when fighting the P-40 or hurricane, the Nate can give a decent account of itself at this point of the war. Later, hopefully by April, all the good units will have good aircraft. But for now Nates make perfect sense.

User avatar
stuman
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:59 am
Location: Elvis' Hometown

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by stuman »

Keep up the good work !
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Image
bklooste
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:47 am

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by bklooste »


I can not build enough Oscars and Zeroes to fill all fighter needs this early in the game. If I leave the losses unreplaced then I will not have enough fighters flying to intercept incoming bombers or to escort my bombers to their targets. Other than when fighting the P-40 or hurricane, the Nate can give a decent account of itself at this point of the war. Later, hopefully by April, all the good units will have good aircraft. But for now Nates make perfect sense.

Love the AAR btw. I haven't seen all the reports but in the ones posted against the Russian the Nates seemed to get a caning vs the Chinese they are prob fine.
The expanding the Nates seemed very strange why not convert a Research facility of some float planes for while in 15 days you will have another 15 Oscars or Zeros being build per month. It wastes supplies and engines but id just forget using the engines those planes are death traps for your pilots hence the engines are worthless. Its prob better to let them hit the smaller air fields at least you loose worthless Nate air frames and not pilots.
t my Nate units, some of the units are good, some are average, and some are green. There are some Nate units that will be in combat a lot, others that are meant to escort in low threat areas, and still others that will do nothing but train pilots.

At least for the green units you have nothing to loose and its worth using them but the experienced guys id give an easy mission until they get some better planes.
Underdog Fanboy
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: bklooste

The expanding the Nates seemed very strange why not convert a Research facility of some float planes for while in 15 days you will have another 15 Oscars or Zeros being build per month. It wastes supplies and engines but id just forget using the engines those planes are death traps for your pilots hence the engines are worthless. Its prob better to let them hit the smaller air fields at least you loose worthless Nate air frames and not pilots.

You could do this in stock, but since we are playing AE with both PDU and realistic research on, I am not allowed to change any r&d factories to active aircraft types. That limits my starting factories quite a bit and serves to prevent Japan from instanly expanding their ai/c production to a huge affair.

Remember, the only wastage is supply for the repair and hi for the airframes. I already have the engines. Yes, I am losing nates, but the loss rate is only around 1 to 1 and they have proved capable in many situations. Certainly far more capable than they ever were in stock.
Also remember that no matter how much I want to, I can only build HA-35 engines so fast. You also can not change engine factories from research to active types, and the number of starting active engine factories is very limited given the requirements for several distinct engine types.
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

The January 2, 1942 turn started out with sub action.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 02, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Fanning Island at 174,135

Japanese Ships
SS I-169

Allied Ships
TK Eidsvold, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage



TK Eidsvold is sighted by SS I-169
SS I-169 launches 4 torpedoes


Image
Attachments
i169sink..eidsvold.jpg
i169sink..eidsvold.jpg (387.36 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”