What's going on?

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
Capt Napalm
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:27 am

What's going on?

Post by Capt Napalm »

I've just gotten the game and have run through Coral Sea about 6 times and have started the campaign a couple times and I'm starting to get real frustrated.

The Japanese Ships WILL NOT SINK!!!!

I've put 8, Count 'em, 8! 1000 lb bombs into the Shokakaku and at the end of the game it still had only 56 sys and 35 float damage. Just last game I hit the Aoba with 7 500 lb. bombs and 6 submarine torpedoes and it wanders off back to Truk. Meanwhile my Lexington is sunk by 1 torp and 2 bomb hits and Yorktown absolutely crippled by 2 hits. These aren't the only examples I've seen.

What the heck is going on? I've got the damage set on historical and I am a pretty good student of history on WWII and I know that even a couple 1000 pounders would be enough to sink a Japanese carrier almost every time. I don't mind losing my carriers to a reasonable amount of damage, but When the enemy sails through a hail of bombs and I can't do anything about it I get real frustrated.

Anyone else know what is up with this? :confused:
User avatar
denisonh
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Upstate SC

Post by denisonh »

If you have Fog of War on, sometimes your hits are exagerated and can even list hits on one ship and they actualy hit another.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
User avatar
Ross Moorhouse
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Ross Moorhouse »

Check page 118 of the Manual Section 21. Special rules - Fog of War. :)
Ross Moorhouse
Image
Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org
Capt Napalm
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:27 am

I've read it.

Post by Capt Napalm »

It's just that it seems really excessive. In the one Coral Sea battle that I've managed to win I followed the remains of the Jap carrier task force all the way to Truk, attacking them with the Yorktown group every day for at least 10 days and still didn't manage to sink any of the three carriers even though I was getting hit reports every day.

I'll have to try a game without Fog of War and see what happens.
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

It can be done. Here is a short list from a PBEM game I have going with Crocky.
Attachments
sunk ships.jpg
sunk ships.jpg (375.84 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Ross Moorhouse
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Ross Moorhouse »

It really depends on what you could call the roll of the dice. Sometimes you will see heavy damage reported sometimes not. The FOW in real life caused total confusion and I think in this game it does this very well to the person playing as the commander of the Sth Pacific.

Dont forget that as the player you are based well away from the fighting and are getting reports back that can be hours old and at times not accurate. Hence the FOW. :)
Ross Moorhouse
Image
Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”