Well so much for this game..this suks...

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
LT Vyktum
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: colo springs co USA

Well so much for this game..this suks...

Post by LT Vyktum »

Well I tried, I downloaded the 4+ upgrade, still can not get it to work...I got the original disc in an issue of pc magazine..I guess it was faulty to begin with...I got it to install..intro runs...then to the credits..then it goes back to the intro option screen (no options to start a game or anything)...then somebody told me that it was a beta version, and that I needed to upgrade it, so I did..spent all day downloading..got the upgrades to install..still same problem...not missing any files latest d/l drivers directx 7.. so unless somebody wants to burn me a copy(I will pay you for your time) I will not be able to play this(from what I hear) a great game...I tried to get p/c magazine to give me another disc..yeah right..it was like asking them to pull thier teeth..It sucks that they give you a game that doesn't work right to begin with..it was the only reason I bought the magazine..well so much for my pity party...well good gaming.

------------------
Roses are red..violets are blue..I'm schizophrenic..and so am I.
Roses are red..violets are blue..I'm schizophrenic..and so am I.
Fuerte
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by Fuerte »

I don't know if this has been suggested but try to run the mech.exe directly.
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Fuerte has a good point here. Do you know how to do that?...WB

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
LT Vyktum
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: colo springs co USA

Post by LT Vyktum »

That's where you go into the game file..find file mech.exe..double click..and it starts up, bypassing some of the intro logos..is that it? Please respond..I want to go to war..I guess I should explain I do get the screen where it says someones forward?..play SPWAW..scenario stuff...you know that one.the first option screen..click play..goes through logos...then to Wild Bill(yahoo)screen...then to credits...and then back to first option screen...repeat..so pretend I am an idiot(my wife seems to think so) and tell how to do this mech.exe thingy..please.

------------------
Roses are red..violets are blue..I'm schizophrenic..and so am I.

[This message has been edited by LT Vyktum (edited October 24, 2000).]
Roses are red..violets are blue..I'm schizophrenic..and so am I.
User avatar
Huffy
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: ,USA

Post by Huffy »

Hey...don't give up yet...a friend of mine had the same problem...went right on my machine...but wouldn't even register the disk in his....Go get the program "Get Right"...download the full version of SPWAW...and I think it might work...he hasn't had a problem since.
Worth a try...
Huffy
Paul Lakowski
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Vancouver Canada

Post by Paul Lakowski »

Originally posted by LT Vyktum:
That's where you go into the game file..find file mech.exe..double click..and it starts up, bypassing some of the intro logos..is that it? Please respond..I want to go to war..I guess I should explain I do get the screen where it says someones forward?..play SPWAW..scenario stuff...you know that one.the first option screen..click play..goes through logos...then to Wild Bill(yahoo)screen...then to credits...and then back to first option screen...repeat..so pretend I am an idiot(my wife seems to think so) and tell how to do this mech.exe thingy..please.
I had a similar problem with SP-2 when I first got it, what I did was go through 'explore' found the SP-2 file and double clicked on another 'exe' file and it worked. Then I make my short cut to that file and have used it since.
Rhone
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Rhone »

I have an issue with spawning shortcuts in my Start->Programs->Steel Panthers menu (I've got like 5 of them!) I know some do not actually work but once I figured out which one did, I simply created another shortcut and put it on the desktop.
User avatar
Warhorse
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Birdsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Warhorse »

Hello, stupid question, but after you hit play SPWAW, and the SSI logo starts up, did you try to just hit enter? I never let the whole intro thing go, hit enter and the game menu will show up, just an idea.

------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
LT Vyktum
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: colo springs co USA

Post by LT Vyktum »

Ah..yes..I have done that...tried spacebar..enter..escape..f1..etc..it just takes me back to the first option screen..I have contacted PC magazine and they told me "some" of the cds were defective...but thanks anyway.
Roses are red..violets are blue..I'm schizophrenic..and so am I.
Fuerte
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by Fuerte »

I'm still not sure if you have tried to run the mech.exe directly...
User avatar
U235
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun May 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia USA

Post by U235 »

Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be the video driver. I had tweaked my video card (Nvidia GeForce DDR 64). I reset to the defaults and it worked fine. I think I had it were it wouldn't reconize the games resolutions. Just a suggestion. Good luck and don't give up.
rexmonday
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2000 8:00 am

Post by rexmonday »

LTV - it sounds like PC Gamer may be to blame if they have admitted that "some CDs" were defective - demand your replacement.
Don't give up on the game until you have it sorted.
RangerKilo
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2000 8:00 am
Location: NE

Post by RangerKilo »

Ya know, as a long time reader of PCGamer, alot of their CD's don't work. grrr

This game rocks tho, so get the Download for it off the net. It's what I had to do, with a dial-up modem connection, took me 2 days to get it, and another 2 days for the upgrades. Well worth the time tho!

HOOHAA
Ranger Kilo
USA Heavy Gunner
troopie
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Post by troopie »

Get the December issue of 'Computer Gaming World' It has version 4.0

troopie

------------------
Pamwe Chete
Pamwe Chete
User avatar
Redleg
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Redleg »

I have my shortcut so it runs spwaw.exe and it works great and by-passes all of the intro stuff.
Randy
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Torrance, Calif. USA

Post by Randy »

Troopie, is this a for sure thing that CGW
will have SPW@W4 in their Dec. issue? Thanks
Semper Fi
randy
Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

It is a sure thing, Randy. Someone wrote who already received his issue and his copy.

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Paul Lakowski
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Vancouver Canada

Post by Paul Lakowski »

I just installed the version from PC Gamer [ thanks 'Silent Surfer', but it took 418 Mb storage space [ouch]. Anyway since my sound card is wrecked any way and I only had 460 Mb left to start with, I removed the 'wavefiles' and reduced the size to 225 Mb. Runs about the same.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”